C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaky top, again........

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Creaky top, again........

2008 black with 3300 miles. Picked it up in Bowling Green and drove it home to Anaheim CA. Got the dealer to do the offcial GM fix with the epoxy, washers, etc. Work great for about 400 miles and now with summer heat, 90 to 100 degree days, it is again making popping noises. I had heard that GM engineers were working with some folks at the BG museum and giving out new "handles" as a form of the more permanent fix.

Has anybody heard of that as this fix is not the long term answer. Other than that, I love the car with zero issues.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:50 PM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
2008 black with 3300 miles. Picked it up in Bowling Green and drove it home to Anaheim CA. Got the dealer to do the offcial GM fix with the epoxy, washers, etc. Work great for about 400 miles and now with summer heat, 90 to 100 degree days, it is again making popping noises. I had heard that GM engineers were working with some folks at the BG museum and giving out new "handles" as a form of the more permanent fix.

Has anybody heard of that as this fix is not the long term answer. Other than that, I love the car with zero issues.
Yea, mine is poping also, 1400 miles. I thought this problem had been corrected?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Send a note to the engineers at the assembly plant. GM is working on a new handle (roller) that eliminates the movement that creates the noise. The interim fix is the epoxy solution but while it works in many cases it seems that it is not the final solution. The plant is interested in finding out about the problem. You can contact them via this link.

http://bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/

Click on the yellow owner feedback button at the bottom of the page. Fill in the requested information and then include the information you posted above.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

1200 miles on my 08. Got the creaking. Get a loud exhaust and you won't here it.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Send a note to the engineers at the assembly plant. GM is working on a new handle (roller) that eliminates the movement that creates the noise. The interim fix is the epoxy solution but while it works in many cases it seems that it is not the final solution. The plant is interested in finding out about the problem. You can contact them via this link.

http://bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/

Click on the yellow owner feedback button at the bottom of the page. Fill in the requested information and then include the information you posted above.
I think they are going to find that the rollers are not the problem either. I can lube the rubber gasket where the front of the roof meets the windshield frame and it quicks creaking. How is that related to the rollers?

I asked in another thread, what is different about the transparent top. Unless I've missed it, they don't seem to creak, do they?

I hope I'm wrong because they really do need a fix.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem for me was two fold.. The rollers and the molding along the roof over the windows. The E-clips fixed the poping and creaking from the roof latch. It's been several months with no noise from that area.
I also lubed the rubber roof molding with some silicone lubricant that Honda sells.. Stuff works great and is used by many P-car owners for the same problem with targa tops..
My car is now silent.. except for the NPP...
Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I think they are going to find that the rollers are not the problem either. I can lube the rubber gasket where the front of the roof meets the windshield frame and it quicks creaking. How is that related to the rollers?

I asked in another thread, what is different about the transparent top. Unless I've missed it, they don't seem to creak, do they?

I have the transparent top and it did creak until I lubed the weather stripping, now it's all gone.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
I have the transparent top and it did creak until I lubed the weather stripping, now it's all gone.
Okay, maybe I have misunderstood. Some people on the forum have said they have both tops and the transparent one does not creak. Maybe they are just the lucky ones!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 AM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both tops and they both creak when the car is hot. Once the interior cools down, both tops stop creaking. I have an early 08 and have not had it in for any of the bulletins for the top creak.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 AM
greenie99
Burning Brakes

New handles are now available which will remedy this situation. Both clear and solid tops are affected. No need to do any labor yourself. Your dealer should be aware of this recall of the original handles. If you arent sure, call Chris Aude, the GM tech responsible for the new handles. GM used my clear top as the "guinea pig" to come up with a solution and IT WORKS!!! Chris can be reached @ 586-575-0159.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by jschindler

Jim,

There are three distinct issues confronting the removable roof. The biggest contributor at this point is in fact the roller. Something has changed in the design or the tolerance of the roller mechanisim on the handle which contacts the striker plate on the windshield frame. The roller can move and when it does it presents as a severe rattle. GM has a designer assigned to this by the name of Chris Aude. They have issued an interim fix which is at the plant and TSB level for an epoxy on the roller to isolate the movement. My reply was specific to this issue and the original poster as they said they had noise, got the epoxy fix which stopped the noise and now the noise has returned. The assembly plant is also currently (or at least up until shutdown) using the epoxy solution and had been since April. This was an interim solution until the new "flat" roller design handles were made available to the plant and the service parts organization via a TSB.

There are a miriad of more minor noises that are caused by and contributed to gasket lubrication and pin lubrication. These can be addressed on some cars, but it will not address the issue I spoke of above. Further, there are owners that have never owned a removable top car before (sunroof doesn't count) and as such are not used to the initial noises of gasket and panel expansion and contraction resulting from cold mornings and hot afternoons. The roof and gasket will conform to whatever conditions were present when the panel was installed. Once these environmental conditions change the panel will need to adjust to the new conditions present and this will happen usually in the first few minutes of driving and then basically go silent again until the next severe environmental change.

As I stated above. The plant needs to know if you have the epoxy fix and it didn't work or remain effective for you. The purpose is two fold, they need to know that they may still have a problem on cars as they are currently be built but more importantly, they can exert the appropriate amount of pressure on the problem resolution team to get the new latches expedited and in to both the plant and the service stream for a permenant fix.

The problem effects both the painted and the transparent tops.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Jim,

There are three distinct issues confronting the removable roof. The biggest contributor at this point is in fact the roller. Something has changed in the design or the tolerance of the roller mechanisim on the handle which contacts the striker plate on the windshield frame. The roller can move and when it does it presents as a severe rattle. GM has a designer assigned to this by the name of Chris Aude. They have issued an interim fix which is at the plant and TSB level for an epoxy on the roller to isolate the movement. My reply was specific to this issue and the original poster as they said they had noise, got the epoxy fix which stopped the noise and now the noise has returned. The assembly plant is also currently (or at least up until shutdown) using the epoxy solution and had been since April. This was an interim solution until the new "flat" roller design handles were made available to the plant and the service parts organization via a TSB.

There are a miriad of more minor noises that are caused by and contributed to gasket lubrication and pin lubrication. These can be addressed on some cars, but it will not address the issue I spoke of above. Further, there are owners that have never owned a removable top car before (sunroof doesn't count) and as such are not used to the initial noises of gasket and panel expansion and contraction resulting from cold mornings and hot afternoons. The roof and gasket will conform to whatever conditions were present when the panel was installed. Once these environmental conditions change the panel will need to adjust to the new conditions present and this will happen usually in the first few minutes of driving and then basically go silent again until the next severe environmental change.

As I stated above. The plant needs to know if you have the epoxy fix and it didn't work or remain effective for you. The purpose is two fold, they need to know that they may still have a problem on cars as they are currently be built but more importantly, they can exert the appropriate amount of pressure on the problem resolution team to get the new latches expedited and in to both the plant and the service stream for a permenant fix.

Paul, this is interesting, and great information. I'd like to see this sorted out a little more specifically but I realize that it would be hard to quantify what constitutes minor vs major creaking.

In my case, the creaking is very loud and annoying - not at all what I would consider "typical" creaks and groans. The simple act of spreading a thin coat of silicone lube on the big rubber gasket on the windshield header will stop the creaking all together for some period of time - usually a couple of months (keeping in mind that I only drive the car a couple of times a week - if that is a factor versus it just sitting in the garage).

Thanks for helping with this.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
User 020720
Race Director

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
I also lubed the rubber roof molding with some silicone lubricant that Honda sells.. Stuff works great and is used by many P-car owners for the same problem with targa tops..
I use the same lubricant...called Shin-Etsu. Works very well.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sabooher
I use the same lubricant...called Shin-Etsu. Works very well.
Yep... that's the stuff.. even the euro-snobs use this stuff on their bahn-burners..
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM
cupcakebc
Instructor

Jim,

I read on this forum that the new "flat" roller design was being used on the 09 latches. This is not the case then?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 AM
RWSjr
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by QuikZilver
I have both tops and they both creak when the car is hot. Once the interior cools down, both tops stop creaking. I have an early 08 and have not had it in for any of the bulletins for the top creak.
Mine is the same way. Not hot - no noise. Gets hot - makes noise. Mine does not pop/creak excessively, so haven't done any fixes yet.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by cupcakebc
I read on this forum that the new "flat" roller design was being used on the 09 latches. This is not the case then?
That would make perfect sense. It is possible, I just haven't confirmed it. They were very close to completion and that would make a perfect changeover.

Get notified of new replies

To Creaky top, again........

Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
cupcakebc
Instructor

That would make perfect sense. It is possible, I just haven't confirmed it. They were very close to completion and that would make a perfect changeover.
Picking up my 09 car with the 2 top option tomorrow so I guess I can look, but I'm not sure what I would be looking for. Reports are that the popping is still happening in 09's,so if they have the new latch design then one wonders what's next? Sure hate to be messing with e-clips and the like with a brand new auto.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully you can get it fited. I have not heard anything yet. Knock on wood.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:26 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by cupcakebc
Picking up my 09 car with the 2 top option tomorrow so I guess I can look, but I'm not sure what I would be looking for. Reports are that the popping is still happening in 09's,so if they have the new latch design then one wonders what's next? Sure hate to be messing with e-clips and the like with a brand new auto.

My 09 is popping !! Didn't do it the first 2 days and then it started.

Quick Reply: Creaky top, again........