C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tint issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM
xxVETTExx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tint issues

I have thoroughly researched the dot matrix issue on the back glass, and it seems like the best fix is putting vinyl over the dots and seaming the tint under it. I went to a guy today who has done many cars for me with good results, and he said he cant do that. Could someone recommend a shop in the new orleans area where they will do this. Do i have any other options? I want it to look perfect, and am willing to take my time and find the right person.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Mardis Gras
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

In the same boat....let me know when you find someone qualified.

T
Old 07-07-2008, 02:40 PM
xxVETTExx
Intermediate

i have some people asking around for me with the local corvette crowd. i will let you know what i find out.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:46 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

My installer sanded the dots and did not use any vinyl. It came out 99% perfect.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 PM
KWIKC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by xxVETTExx
I have thoroughly researched the dot matrix issue on the back glass, and it seems like the best fix is putting vinyl over the dots and seaming the tint under it. I went to a guy today who has done many cars for me with good results, and he said he cant do that. Could someone recommend a shop in the new orleans area where they will do this. Do i have any other options? I want it to look perfect, and am willing to take my time and find the right person.
Take a road trip and come on over to Fort Worth. The guy who did mine did an excellent job and he used the black vinyl over the dots. From the drivers seat looking through the rear view, you don't even see that part of the window. He said he's done over 20 c6's.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:38 PM
bigdogk9
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KWIKC6
Take a road trip and come on over to Fort Worth. The guy who did mine did an excellent job and he used the black vinyl over the dots. From the drivers seat looking through the rear view, you don't even see that part of the window. He said he's done over 20 c6's.
The guy from Ft. Worth did mine, as well. He even came to my house to do it. He also does the tint part of the back window in one piece not strips like other tinters.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM
slab0meat
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

The place I've used for things in the past said the only way they do my car is sanding down the dots... I haven't gotten it done, having no idea if that's harmful or whatever.....

There's very few locals for me that I'd trust.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
KWIKC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bigdogk9
The guy from Ft. Worth did mine, as well. He even came to my house to do it. He also does the tint part of the back window in one piece not strips like other tinters.
While he was doing mine...two nieghbors came over and hired him to do their pickups!! LOL. IIt took him longer to do my Vette than either of the four door pickups because of the time involved doing the rear window right!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:48 PM
KWIKC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by slab0meat
The place I've used for things in the past said the only way they do my car is sanding down the dots... I haven't gotten it done, having no idea if that's harmful or whatever.....

There's very few locals for me that I'd trust.

Good luck with it.
I am no window expert...but my thought is they must be there for a reason...I like the way my tinter solved the problem. Looks great!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 84 Posts

mine wasn't sanded nor vinyl or anything like that. just a little extra glue in that area to fill in the voids and no prob. i will post a pic later when i get to my home computer.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:16 PM
A-Pex
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the NOOBs among us (e.g. me) what do you mean when you say "he used the black vinyl over the dots"?

My guess is that there's a specific way to cover them using vinyl, how can I make sure my local guys (Colorado Springs) do this properly?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:31 PM
KWIKC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by A-Pex
For the NOOBs among us (e.g. me) what do you mean when you say "he used the black vinyl over the dots"?

My guess is that there's a specific way to cover them using vinyl, how can I make sure my local guys (Colorado Springs) do this properly?

Thanks!
The way my tinter did it: He first did the entire rear window in one piece. He then trimmed the tint at the top along the top defroster element then he replaced that piece with black vinyl. Here are a couple pics.
Attached Images    

Last edited by KWIKC6; 07-07-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:01 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Originally Posted by A-Pex
how can I make sure my local guys (Colorado Springs) do this properly?
Also make sure they have done C6's before. Ask them if they know the door latch trick to keep the window all the way up.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Dogue
Racer

A while back someone posted asking about Magoops http://www.dotmatrixwindowtinting.com/rear_windows.html, has anyone tried it?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 PM
jimmybobby
Drifting

The way my tinter did it: He first did the entire rear widow in one piece. He then trimmed the tint at the top along the top defroster element then he replaced that piece with black vinyl. Here are a couple pics.
Your dot matrix area looks really nice. Mine does not. Did you use Lynn?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM
KWIKC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimmybobby
Your dot matrix area looks really nice. Mine does not. Did you use Lynn?
Yes, Lynn did the tint.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
mine wasn't sanded nor vinyl or anything like that. just a little extra glue in that area to fill in the voids and no prob. i will post a pic later when i get to my home computer.

I didn't want black vinyl and I didn't want them to sand down the dots. The installer used one piece of film on the rear glass. For the first several days I'd let the glass heat up in the sunshine and I massaged the dots along the top edge. I don't enter my car in beauty pageants so I wasn't worried about absolute perfection...it looks fine.

Get notified of new replies

To tint issues

Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV
Also make sure they have done C6's before. Ask them if they know the door latch trick to keep the window all the way up.
Ok, I'll bite, what is the trick to keep the window all the way up?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM
KWIKC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by j_digi454
Ok, I'll bite, what is the trick to keep the window all the way up?
Open the door and push the door latch in with a screwdriver and the window will index up...just don't forget to hit the open button again before you close the door!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Open the door and push the door latch in with a screwdriver and the window will index up...just don't forget to hit the open button again before you close the door!
That's great info. Thanks!

Quick Reply: tint issues