C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Dead Battery Can't open hood to jump start

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
rfb3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd think!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:25 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html
Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 PM
rfb3
Advanced

Old 03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
dragoninxs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I'm having the same issue, however when I turn the key clockwise to open the trunk nothing happens.

Help I cannot get into the car!

Also there is a button next to the key latch near the license plate which doesn't work either.

My car is stuck in the garage.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Brutus 08 Coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by dragoninxs
Guys I'm having the same issue, however when I turn the key clockwise to open the trunk nothing happens.

Also there is a button next to the key latch near the license plate which doesn't work either.

Might as well try to turn the key and at the same time, lift up on the trunk lid with a shim (that won't hurt the paint obviously). Good luck!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutus 08 Coupe
Might as well try to turn the key and at the same time, lift up on the trunk lid with a shim (that won't hurt the paint obviously). Good luck!
You may want to slightly push DOWN on the hatch before turning the key. There might be pressure on the latch mechanism that needs to be relieved to allow the latch to work. If it's sat for a long time, the hatch seals may be pushing the hatch up slightly.

JMHO
Old 03-06-2010, 05:10 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Once you replace the battery, also read in the manual under power windows how to reinitialize your windows so they index when you open and close the door. Only takes a few seconds, but needs to be done for windows to operate properly. Also, clean all the road gunk off your car before you park it so you can see the keyhole. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dragoninxs

That's called hijacking someone else's thread, but make sure you are turning the key completely. It takes quite a bit of force to turn it far enough to pop the mechanical release.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 AM
dragoninxs
Instructor

Sorry didn't meant to hijack.

I tried all the recommendations, still no luck, guess I will have to call roadside assistance =(
Old 03-07-2010, 10:29 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

If you have room and a jack and a booster or charger, you may be able to jack up the car and connect the positive cable to the large red wire at the starter and the negative to a chassis ground. When the battery gets enough charge, you should be able to push the button on the trunk or on the door to get in. (assuming that when you say you have the same issue, you mean the battery is dead)
Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm just curious, do any of you guys put a pigtail with an SAE connector on the end of it and lay it over the back side of the engine compartment and let it rest on windshield so you can hook up a battery charger without opening the hood? You can get SAE connectors with covers on them, and I think the ones that come with the Deltran Battery Tenders have them on it.

You probably could find other places to hang it out too, I haven't really looked all that hard for a good place, but I am sure you could find one.

Just seems like with all the battery issues this might be a smart thing to do. I keep my motorcycles hooked up to battery tenders any time I'm not riding them, and I guess I will have to do the same with this car.

This could also save you if the battery dies and you can't open the door, cause you could simply plug in a charger so you could get in the car. You can buy these plugs on Ebay for about $15.

Last edited by CSixDude; 03-07-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:18 PM
cincykid
Advanced

Default Life made easier

SO, I bought my 2006 and I DID NOT realize I was supposed to have gotten a magic key in case the battery died. SO, I go to my shop and realize the vette is completely dead. I have NO KEY. Thanks to this forum, I found a way to get your door unlocked with your FOB within about a few minutes as long as you have access to a battery charger. To repeat what was also menioned in this thread about using the fan wire, I didnt even try to look for the starter under the car since it was so tight. I jacked it up, put jack stands underneath for safety and rolled under the passenger side and saw the electric for the radiator fan right there in front of my face. I pulled the black connector off and of the 6 or so wires going into it, I traced the 2nd large red wire to the actual car and not to the fan. For the hell of it I placed the ground on the car from the car charger, took a small flat head screwdriver and gently slid it into the connector into the slot for the 2nd red wire, I attached the positive connector from the charger onto the screwdriver shaft, I plugged the charger into the wall and hit the door unlock on the FOB and saw the amps jump. I immediately jumped up and sure enough, the door was unlocked and opened up for me. I immediately unplugged the charger and dropped the car back down to work under the hood. Side Note: I DID have to reinidex the windows to ge ttthem right. To reindex you simply roll thwe window all the way down, hold the button down for 3 seconds, and roll it all the way up and hold it for 3 seconds. THANK GOD for the forum. I really appreciate having a "go to" when this crap happens. Hopefully these terrible pics kind of help someone else. If anyone needs to call me and I walk you through it if you get stuck. 513 615-4800

Last edited by cincykid; 02-13-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Side note...only marginally related..bored typing as my C5 Z06 sits on a charger with a dead battery........... 2 weeks ago I pulled a fleet car at work out of storage to use...2001 Chev Impala. It was last driven/started in early October. When I turned the key...it bog'd (really searching for electrical juice) but then turned over and roared to life. Hmmm sits for 3 1/2+ months and it still started. This Vette thing at 2-3 weeks is NUTS.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

IBTL!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:56 PM
traindude
Race Director

Originally Posted by overrev64
The key opening is above the license plate next to the button that opens the trunk.
If you still can't get in, you can try to jack the car and put the charger directly on the starter terminal.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:10 AM
corvettegen6
4th Gear

what to do if i have no key ?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:12 AM
corvettegen6
4th Gear

Originally Posted by corvettegen6

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery Can't open hood to jump start

Old 08-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I think a dealer can cut one from the VIN, but you'll need some proof of ownership, like the title.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:59 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Get the dealer to make you one and then find out what happened to the keys. When new the car was delivered with two fobs and two keys. If you don't have both of each that means somebody else has the ability to get in the car and maybe able to drive it if they have the fob.

The car can be programmed to forget the old fobs if needed but that still leaves the key in somebody else's hands.

Bill
Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by patton
when you are on the plane bring the owners manual [for the car] and READ
Thanks Dad

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Can't open hood to jump start