C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Dead Battery Can't open hood to jump start

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:44 AM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

I would just replace the battery. After it dies once, it will not be as strong as before, especially since it is a few years old now.....
Old 07-04-2008, 02:01 PM
LD RUNR
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took delivery 5 weeks ago and was told by Tim of Boardwalk that putting the MN6 in reverse would shut down more of the electrical drain. Because my C6 is my only car it is not an issue for me.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:52 PM
beltfed21
Racer

I had similar issue on my 07 Vert. Car would sit for two weeks and battery would die. I got the factory involved. One of the things I found out from them was that the car is designed to sit for 45 days with a charged battery before it will be drained.

And the problem found with mine..... Right sun visor had coating stripped off a wire at the factory while being put together. So if it got moved or bounced around it would make contact with windshield frame and turn the vanity light on, with the cover closed! Took them three weeks to find that one!
Old 07-04-2008, 07:11 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,819 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LD RUNR
Just took delivery 5 weeks ago and was told by Tim of Boardwalk that putting the MN6 in reverse would shut down more of the electrical drain. Because my C6 is my only car it is not an issue for me.

That was for the 05 year. Those 05 cars had the DBS problem and a reprogram of the BCM fixed that issue. The new cars don't need to do that. Tim may have been mistaken.

Elmer
Old 07-04-2008, 08:57 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by FAÇADE-C6

That nifty handle "A" is tiny, about 1/2" by 1". It is up on the side of the trunk just behind the wheel well, and just under the top of the fender. You should look for it BEFORE you need it .
Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 PM
RanGer498
Melting Slicks

this is a good read too.
http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/c6index.html
Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 PM
RanGer498
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by adias
BTW... do you know what those levers on the floor by the door sills are for?
emergency eject
Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RanGer498
emergency eject
I had a senior guy ride with me on a trip and I mentioned the floor door release to him and he ended getting locked in the car after I got out. I went shopping for 10 minutes and returned and he couldn't get out of the car. He had a senior moment!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaneN.
Can someone show me what the key looks like? Is it a normal size key? My battery just dies and the key that was in my car in the glove box will need slid into the key hole. It doesn't seem like it's the right "cut".
The key is in your key fob.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone show me what the key looks like? Is it a normal size key? My battery just dies and the key that was in my car in the glove box will need slid into the key hole. It doesn't seem like it's the right "cut".
The key for your 2005 will fit the keyhole above the license plate and the slot in the glove box.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It is the right cut, not sure what you mean about the one in your glove box. The key everyone is talking about is in each of your fobs, on the bottom held in by the plastic bottom. Pull it out, and gently insert it into the keyhole next to the license plate.

If this is the first time using it, it may feel stiff, and may not go in easily. It may not turn easily. Be gentle; you DON'T want to break off the key in the lock.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 PM
ToRedVettes
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by patton
when you are on the plane bring the owners manual [for the car] and READ
Amazing what you can learn from that little book.

BTW, I had the same problem recently with a dead battery. Instead of having it towed I took the battery out and took it to the dealer. This was much easier and much less stressful than the dreaded tow truck.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 AM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

here is another tip for you, before arriving at the airport, for your flight, purchase a very long extension cord, bring it with you to the airport, go directly to the mens room and plug extension cord into the outlet, go back to your vette, and take out of the trunk your new battery tender that you also purchased with your extension cord, connect battery tender to your battery, using the alligator clips that come with the tender, wa la. when you come back home your car will start right up, guaranteed
Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
The key is in your key fob.
Originally Posted by AORoads
... The key everyone is talking about is in each of your fobs, on the bottom held in by the plastic bottom. Pull it out, and gently insert it into the keyhole next to the license plate.
The 05 has a seperate big honkin' key. The small inside the FOB key didn't start until 08.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If I were you I would go to SEARS and buy a PLATINUM DIE HARD. It is guaranteed to hold a charge for 2 years. Two Years not two weeks. I guess this is truly a get what you pay for item. I have already done this for my C-6, C-5 and my Lightning. Since putting quality batteries in my vehicles I have never had the dead battery syndrome as stated in some of the post above. Hope you get it sorted out.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by overrev64
The key opening is above the license plate next to the button that opens the trunk.
If you still can't get in, you can try to jack the car and put the charger directly on the starter terminal.
I love creative thinking. I am surprised that I did not think of that. You can go home now, and have a cool one. P. S. Don't forget to punch out.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Once you get in go for a new battery and buy a tender.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery Can't open hood to jump start

Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 04VaVette
If I were you I would go to SEARS and buy a PLATINUM DIE HARD. It is guaranteed to hold a charge for 2 years. Two Years not two weeks. I guess this is truly a get what you pay for item. I have already done this for my C-6, C-5 and my Lightning. Since putting quality batteries in my vehicles I have never had the dead battery syndrome as stated in some of the post above. Hope you get it sorted out.
Uhhhhh.... not really. The Platinum Die Hard's can store a charge for up to 2 years... most automotive batteries can do that though. There's no warranty on how long they will store a charge though. ("Longer off season storage time and up to a 2 year shelf life").

Plus - that's for a battery that's sitting on a shelf with nothing hooked up to it. The problem with our Vettes (and many other cars) is that there is always some kind of drain on the battery. That loss can be more or less depending on the car.

ShaneN - you do know about having to park with your transmission in Reverse, right? Sorry - basic question, and no harm intended, but since yours is a 2005 6MT, just thought I'd check.

Not sure about on the 2005's, but I think it's the same as 2007 - the key for my 2007 is just a standard looking key - black plastic on top with a Chevy logo, cut on both sides of the key (looks like a dagger). It won't be like the older GM's where there's a different door and ignition key - there's only one for the Vette.
Attached Images  

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 01-08-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,434 Likes on 778 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Uhhhhh.... not really. The Platinum Die Hard's can store a charge for up to 2 years... most automotive batteries can do that though. There's no warranty on how long they will store a charge though. ("Longer off season storage time and up to a 2 year shelf life").

Plus - that's for a battery that's sitting on a shelf with nothing hooked up to it. The problem with our Vettes (and many other cars) is that there is always some kind of drain on the battery. That loss can be more or less depending on the car.

ShaneN - you do know about having to park with your transmission in Reverse, right? Sorry - basic question, and no harm intended, but since yours is a 2005 6MT, just thought I'd check.

Not sure about on the 2005's, but I think it's the same as 2007 - the key for my 2007 is just a standard looking key - black plastic on top with a Chevy logo, cut on both sides of the key (looks like a dagger). It won't be like the older GM's where there's a different door and ignition key - there's only one for the Vette.
2005, 2006, 2007 all had the "big" key not inside the fob.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

In case no one told you, the key is above the license plate. J/K. Good luck with your issue!

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Can't open hood to jump start