C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Begining to have second thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:13 PM
ccs1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Begining to have second thoughts

I have had my 07 for a year this month. For the most part I have been pleased but issues seem to be adding up to show a big picture of a cheep made product. Paint: Fair quailty finish-Orange peel Bad!Seats: The outside bottom balaster has not held its shape sense the second weekTop has started poping
popping noise in the rear endBegining to hear rattles and wind noise from the drivers windowOpened the glove box today and the latch broke off in my hand

What will hapen next??

The car has 6,500 miles and beed treated with extreme care covered in the garage when not being driven. I've had my F150 for more than 2 years and over 38,000 miles with no issues.
Paid $40K for the truck and $56K for the Vette. It apears to me now that the Vette is not a good deal for the money.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:19 PM
prs62
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Wow! I have an '05 with none of those problems. 30K on the clock and it still brings a smile to my face every time I hit the start button.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prs62
Wow! I have an '05 with none of those problems. 30K on the clock and it still brings a smile to my face every time I hit the start button.
Likewise here too. 27K + miles. Take it in and get the warranty work done.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:27 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

The issues you raise are legit and I can understand your frustration. On the other hand none of the issues are ones that can not be made right. I suspect there are many more owners of Vettes that are more than satisfied than not so. Many times people think because they spend 50+k for a car they are buying a piece of perfection, that would be nice but unfortunately not always the case. Good luck, get the concerns with your Vette taken care of and enjoy it.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

But then again the old saying goes if you believe something will go wrong it usually will. I think some people that read about a problem on the forum start looking for it in their car.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Had my '08 for 1 year and 9500 miles now. No issues, nothing has broken, no rattles, etc. 2nd day off the line last June so I guess they were watching it real closely! I also paid $10K less than that, so overall, I'm a happy camper. Most all those issues are fixable...In todays world, unfortunately, you can't equate $$ to quality.

Last edited by Modshack; 07-03-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:30 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

After all is said and done,it's still a chevy we're driving here.Hell,I was in a GENESIS yesterday that was better-fit and finish wise-the the LEXUS next to it-all for 30 something grand.Had the LEATHER wrap around dash-a la 4LT in it too!I love my vette too-08 2700 miles-but the roof quality sucks noise wise and the seats are also lacking a little!!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
The issues you raise are legit and I can understand your frustration. On the other hand none of the issues are ones that can not be made right. I suspect there are many more owners of Vettes that are more than satisfied than not so. Many times people think because they spend 50+k for a car they are buying a piece of perfection, that would be nice but unfortunately not always the case. Good luck, get the concerns with your Vette taken care of and enjoy it.
I agree however i bought a Lexus SC400 1996 and put 109000k miles on it with absolutely ZERO things go wrong with it.I love my new Vette but still the Lexus was the best car I ever owned.(Not the most Fun Tho)
Old 07-03-2008, 05:45 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Had my 2006 for 2 years 2months just crossed 30,000 miles today. Had 3 roofs, 3 ashtrays because they kept popping open, shifter stuck had to get a new one installed, but I love my vette, although annoying and a waste of my time to keep going to dealer, mechanically it's sound. I had a $105,000 SL500, that was in the shop every month, every time I took it in they would keep it for a week. When you look at it that way the Vette has been more reliable. Sh*t happens no matter what car you have. Don't sweat the small stuff, doesn't sound like anything major wrong with your car, I did the roof pop fix with the e-clips and its been fine ever since.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Oldguy1
Advanced

It's still a Chevy. It's a 186 mph Chevy that handles as good, or better, than just about everything out there. No, it doesn't have the fit and finish of a Porsche, but will run with one. Plus, you can buy 2 more Vettes to have for spare parts and still have some change.

Mine's (2006) been fine. Not perfect, but it is a Chevy.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:00 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I haven't had even one problem with my 07 picked up in Oct. 06, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:02 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

You've got it easy... my 07 which I have posted before has much more severe issues. The newest are:
1-Clutch pack replacement; Clunk on turns..(after 4 Dif fluid replacements)
2_Flare or hard shift: replace clutch fluid seal rings - weird 1-2-3 shifts
3_Indeterminate: vert top vibration noise at 65 mph -working on identifying this ... cause dealership is as always clueless.
4_Inderterminate: poping sound in the back when going over bumps- working on this also - becuase dealership is cluesless about this also.

Some of the oldies but goodies that have already been performed/completed:
-------------------------------
1_Gas Tank replacement couldn't auto fill
2_Chrome rim replacement - missing chrome plating
3_Battery replacement
4_Navie/Radio Replacement - failed unit
5_Steering wheel hose replacement - groaning sound in rev , and turning.

All under 10K miles ...
Stop complaining ... you 've got it easy.

Rant OFF... I feel much better now.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:03 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Must be a Monday car.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:09 PM
wildcatter
Racer

Originally Posted by ccs1
I have had my 07 for a year this month. For the most part I have been pleased but issues seem to be adding up to show a big picture of a cheep made product. Paint: Fair quailty finish-Orange peel Bad!Seats: The outside bottom balaster has not held its shape sense the second weekTop has started poping
popping noise in the rear endBegining to hear rattles and wind noise from the drivers windowOpened the glove box today and the latch broke off in my hand

What will hapen next??

The car has 6,500 miles and beed treated with extreme care covered in the garage when not being driven. I've had my F150 for more than 2 years and over 38,000 miles with no issues.
Paid $40K for the truck and $56K for the Vette. It apears to me now that the Vette is not a good deal for the money.
I also have an F-150 and a Corvette. I also have the issues you raise with the Corvette (my glove latch was replaced under warranty as was my roof). I am asking myself: "What is your problem?" If I wanted the perfect vehicle I could have got a Honda Accord like my wife. I am having a ball in my 'Vette. Relax and enjoy your car.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:12 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel for you - problems on a new car are a royal pain in the A$$.

But even though the Vette seems like a lot of money, it actually is a cheap car. The competition (911s, Ferraris, Audi RS series, etc) are not trouble free either, and cost a lot more money. So even though the Corvette was $56k, you're still buying a "cheap" sports car, and personally I'd never expect the quality to be as high as the competition.

Also - a Corvette's not a truck. Trucks are built to be dependable, rugged vehicles. That's where the R&D money goes. Having a removable roof... well, that's an additional point of problems that most cars don't have to deal with. Wind noise from the seals at the windows? That's one advantage of doors with full frames - which would never fly with the Corvette. Orange peel? It's on most every car, but especially if you want a light weight body made out of something that's not metal (and can't be grounded during the painting process). And stiff suspensions tend to make more things creak and rattle over time.

Still - there are areas where GM definitely scrimped . Maybe one day they'll fix the cheap seats and plastic pieces that break. Of course first the bean counters have to be convinced it costs more in warranty charges and customer good will than it would cost in upgraded materials.

FWIW - 14k miles on my '07 (April delivery), and 2 warranty repairs (transmission seal and plastic fitting on roof). There's a bit of popping with the top, but I always have the radio or exhaust going so loud it never really bothers me!

Originally Posted by ccs1

What will hapen next??

Old 07-03-2008, 06:15 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguy1
No, it doesn't have the fit and finish of a Porsche, but will run with one. Plus, you can buy 2 more Vettes to have for spare parts and still have some change.

Mine's (2006) been fine. Not perfect, but it is a Chevy.

I think the 911 owner that was getting on the freeway with me yesterday would agree too... Got a nice from him as I was slowing down at my exit.

Plus - when I nailed a deer the other day and the parts total came to less than $100, I was really glad the Corvette's a Chevy!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

You should sell it.

Get notified of new replies

To Begining to have second thoughts

Old 07-03-2008, 06:18 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,593 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Sorry for your problems. Mine has been virtually issue free.....
Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 PM
troy144
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Modshack
Had my '08 for 1 year and 9500 miles now. No issues, nothing has broken, no rattles, etc. 2nd day off the line last June so I guess they were watching it real closely! I also paid $10K less than that, so overall, I'm a happy camper!
You sound like such an empathetic person. If someone in your family had a heart attack... you would probably be the first to say "thank God my blood pressure is 110 over 70."
Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

You need to relax and look at the big picture... The car is awesome.. performance, looks, and value..
The roof issue is an easy fix.. $1.35 for the e-clips and some silicone spray along the rubber moldings.. The glove box latch is easily fixed. The rear end needs a fluid change which there is a TSB for.

These are all minor issues and should not spoil your vette experience.. but if you already made up your mind not to like the car... then thats another issue..

Quick Reply: Begining to have second thoughts