C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A6 Shift Button Vibrates

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Gabbott
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A6 Shift Button Vibrates

I'm looking for help resolving an irritating problem with the shift button (park release button) with my A6 transmission. Depending on the road surface and my speed (usually around 50 MPH), the button vibrates/rattles (a metallic sound). I can stop the noise, using very light pressure with my finger. It doesn't occur all of the time, but often enough to be annoying.

This problem only seems to effect cars made between Oct. 05 thru around March of 06, for the 2006 cars. I am not aware of any newer cars with this problem.

The General has yet to come out with a fix for it, that I am aware of. I have not been able to find any Threads on this on the Forum.

The shift-button on my friends 07, seems to be much tighter than mine. Did GM replace/upgrade the button and handle sometime in spring of 2006, to a better one?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems with my 06.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was built at the end of April 2006 and my shift **** rattles on rough roads at any speed! Drives me crazy .
Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 PM
thx007
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has happened on my 07 occasionally, so no upgrade in 07 and after looking at an 08, I think they are virtually identical. You might try forcing some heavy grease up underneath the button. Pull it forward as far as possible and use a Q-tip to get some grease on the hinge area.

Good luck! No really good aftermarket options, I've looked!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:45 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problems here.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:05 PM
drbonebreak
Intermediate

Mine does this exactly as the OP says, was built in December 05. I plan to take it apart someday and try to fix myself.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Crush2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default try a toothpick yet?

Originally Posted by drbonebreak
Mine does this exactly as the OP says, was built in December 05. I plan to take it apart someday and try to fix myself.
Mine, too. Dec/05. Rattles all the time. Hesitate to take it to dealer for fear they will mess something up much more significant. So I sometimes use a toothpick to wedge in there (from the front edge), and for long drives, that's fine, but if you have to shift...

Not sure I will try taking mine apart as I am basically a fix (1) and break (2) kind of klutz.

Any experience or proven fixes appreciated.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:32 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Hey Gabbott.....It helps when your a little hard of hearing too
Pati say our still rattles but I cant hear it.......
They make multi-colored toothpicks too....
Old 06-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Gabbott
7th Gear

Default 2006 A6 Shift Button Vibrates

I'm currently waiting to hear from the "experts" at the Vette factory in Bowling Green, on this matter.

If/when that ever happens, I'll post the information.

In the mean time, my wife found a fix somewhat easier to do than with toothpicks or grease. She bought a wrist sweat band from a sports store (and they come in different colors too). The band slips easily over the top of the shifter, and stops the vibration. You can still use the button while it's on. When you don't want the band, store it in the console.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Crush2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Brilliant!

Originally Posted by Gabbott
I'm currently waiting to hear from the "experts" at the Vette factory in Bowling Green, on this matter.

In the mean time, my wife found a fix somewhat easier to do than with toothpicks or grease. She bought a wrist sweat band from a sports store (and they come in different colors too). The band slips easily over the top of the shifter, and stops the vibration. You can still use the button while it's on. When you don't want the band, store it in the console.
Gee, that's a winner! And color-coordinated wrist bands (for body color) beat the heck out of colored toothpicks, lol!

Brilliant! THANKS!

(From another Abbott)

Last edited by Crush2; 06-28-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: not finished "oops"
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

I had to laugh when you told me that. Thats when Pati said the toothpicks are multicolored too ......

Lonnie
Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see it now....instead of posts like "tired of the dreaded drip?", we will be seeing:

"Tired of the rattling shift button on your A6? Now you can finally stop that rattle for good, and brighten up that dull interior at the same time. Now shipping these exclusive matching body color elastic bands that work great, and add that distinctive touch to your interior."
Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I suspect that if you were to remove the shift **** and put a piece of 3M VHB foam tape in there (it is available in different thickness) that it would take care of the noise you are hearing. It should insulate the two surfaces and apply a little outward pressure on the button itself.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Gabbott
7th Gear

I just may try that.
Do you mean remove the shift ****, or button (or both)?
What is the secret to removing the button?
Or, removing the ****?
I don't want to break anything.

Thanks,
Gabbott
Old 07-02-2008, 02:13 PM
gbslagle
Intermediate

I had this problem too. Took a little while to isolate where it was coming from. The center metal silver part lifts straight up. Pry carefully with a small scew driver. Once the cover is off the shift button pops right out. I took several small pieces of soft foam rubber, cut to various sizes, and fitted one behind the button and any place else that looked like it could be an issue. Make sure the mechanisim works freely and put it together...no more vibes or rattles...happy motoring.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM
drbonebreak
Intermediate

I decided to take my shifter apart this past Saturday and fix this problem once and for all. As I started I was just tugging and prying around the shift button and while pulling it forward and up from the bottom front of the the button there was a very faint click. Amazingly the shift button is now tightly held by the shift **** and the rattling has stopped. Wish I had done this two years ago. Hope this works for somebody else too.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 PM
karmann
Advanced

My 08 mirrors yours. I complained to the dealer who said they could not duplicate so could not fix it. I didnt explain though that it was mainly on the highway. I just stuck a piece of cardboard and it fixed it and still shifts fine but it looks lousy. Why does car have so many little problems while my Malibu seems just about perfect?

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 A6 Shift Button Vibrates

Old 07-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Gabbott
7th Gear

I FIXED IT!

I had problems with the dealer also. They were never able to duplicate the problem.

Anyway, I followed the instructions provided above by gbslagle (7-2-2008). This guy found and solved the problem for all of us. You'd think some tech nerd from GM could have found a cure years ago.

Just to reiterate the procedure: The metal-like plastic cap is very easy to remove. It will come staight up. It is held in/down with four plastic stems. Only the front two (each side of the shifter, towards the dash) have retaining bumps on them, to hold the cap in place. Gently pry under the cap on either side, towards the button. It will move up a little. Do the same on the other side. Remove the cap.

Now you can see the parts in there. You really don't need to remove the button. I did, but it didn't help me determine where the problem was and how to resolve it. So it put it back in/on right away. Basically it rides on a plastic hinge snapped at the top.

The problem (rattle/vibration) happens because the bottom of the button vibrates against a white piece of plastic, that is connected to the shift release mechanism. Also in there is a brass-colored wishbone-shaped metal spring (maybe this is the problem, as it needs to be separated more to apply more pressure against the bottom of the button). I didn't play with the spring.

Once that I saw how it all worked, and where the vibrating was occuring....next step.

I just used some window foam insulation (the stuff with the sticky side on it) [left over from my "stop the rocks" repair]. I cut off both of the sticky sides, and then cut the rest into a few smaller pieces.

Carefully place the foam insulation behind the button and around the area of the white plastic piece. It doesn't take very much. Just enough to put a small amount of pressure to the back of the button.

Make sure your button will pull in properly, and then snap the top cap back on. Easily done within 30 minutes.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:48 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Congrats Gabbott !!!! It's only taken about two years.....
and thanks to gbslagel for his tips.......someone should take pictures of the procedure and have it posted in the FAQ's.......
Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
drbonebreak
Intermediate

I finally got around to fixing mine this weekend. Rather than load the shift mechanism with foam, I got a good result simply by bending the copper colored spring out a bit so it would keep pressure on the shift button. Removal of the spring was easy, it just pulled straight out. The whole job took about 1 minute. Probably took me longer to find a screwdrive small enough to lever under the trim piece on the top of the shift ****, and to open and safely position a nearby beer.

Quick Reply: 2006 A6 Shift Button Vibrates