C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 Rear Quarter Conversions Available! (ZR1 Conversion Info)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,374 Posts

I got a chance to talk to the GM guys at VIR about converting some of these pieces and here is what I learned. You might want to take some of this with a grain of salt as I did get some slightly differing views (specifically on the brakes) but in the end I put below the info from the folks most knowledgable on the component in question. Note that this is in the context of converting from an '08 Z06.

Brakes:
Along with the calipers and rotors you also will need the different A-arms and of course the bigger wheels and tires. They say that with the bigger wheels and tires you need the different inner fender liners as well or they will rub. I'm sure some folks are already running this wheel/tire config though.

Front splitter:
Should be a direct bolt-on.

Rear spoiler:
I didn't think to ask since I assume it mounts like the full-length Z06 spoiler - but this is just an *assumption* and I should have asked.

Side skirts:
These are actually riveted to the car and the Z06 does not have the holes for the rivets. The rivets also have to go in at an angle so I could see it being a real pain to figure out the correct angle, then drill, then rivet. Also if you jack the car at the puck locations you can't get to some of the places the rivets need to go so you need to lift from the alternate jacking location.

Basically my net form this is that I definitely still want the front splitter and maybe the rear spoiler, but I'm not sure about the rest any more.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
The ZR1 (Ferrari Enzo FX) rotors are 15.5-inch-diameter (Z06 14") in the front and 15-inch-diameter (Z06 13.4") in the rear.

The calipers are bigger, as are the new 1 piece pads.

Gene, is there a price on the ZR1 wheels yet? I think for next ear, I will treat myself to set of C6 ZR1 wheels and Carbon Ceramic Brakes for the street - and use a nice Coleman iron rotor/aluminium hat 14" setup for the track.

LOL.. thanks for the info! Very expensive mod! I don't have a price on the wheels yet. I'll keep an eye on it for you.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I got a chance to talk to the GM guys at VIR about converting some of these pieces and here is what I learned. You might want to take some of this with a grain of salt as I did get some slightly differing views (specifically on the brakes) but in the end I put below the info from the folks most knowledgable on the component in question. Note that this is in the context of converting from an '08 Z06.

Brakes:
Along with the calipers and rotors you also will need the different A-arms and of course the bigger wheels and tires. They say that with the bigger wheels and tires you need the different inner fender liners as well or they will rub. I'm sure some folks are already running this wheel/tire config though.

Front splitter:
Should be a direct bolt-on.

Rear spoiler:
I didn't think to ask since I assume it mounts like the full-length Z06 spoiler - but this is just an *assumption* and I should have asked.

Side skirts:
These are actually riveted to the car and the Z06 does not have the holes for the rivets. The rivets also have to go in at an angle so I could see it being a real pain to figure out the correct angle, then drill, then rivet. Also if you jack the car at the puck locations you can't get to some of the places the rivets need to go so you need to lift from the alternate jacking location.

Basically my net form this is that I definitely still want the front splitter and maybe the rear spoiler, but I'm not sure about the rest any more.
I don't deem the spoiler to be an issue since the ZR1 rear bumper is the same.

Even though the side skirts bolt on one way, I'm sure they can bolt-on another. Many ways to take care of that. I can look at that as well.

As far as the brakes... some people may already have the Z06 or Z06 conversion so the liners and all won't be a problem. The control arms and all could be a possibility though.

The Z06 front bumper is the same as the ZR1 so I didn't see any issues with the splitter either.

Thanks for the information.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:28 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
LOL.. thanks for the info! Very expensive mod!
Although they are over 1 1/2 inches bigger, I bet they are half the weight of the Z06 rotors.

Last edited by TommyV; 07-05-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:16 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Just go and get a ZR-1!!!!!

End of story.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

Gene would it be possible to do a "Z06" Conversion but swap in the ZR1 front fenders? I don't like the ZR1 wheels, and the side skirts. The brakes while nice are looking to be a ridiculous cost.

I'd assume for Z06 wheels and brakes the inner fender stuff from the Z06 would be fine and it would bolt on to the ZR1 fender (except the side air vent stuff).
Old 07-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Carbon Ceramic Brakes are a $15,000 option on a Porsche. And on the Enzo a brake job runs near $30k. So... in light of all that $7k is a steal for a carbon ceramic upgrade that comes on the Enzo!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:12 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdasvt
Just go and get a ZR-1!!!!!

End of story.
hehe - but I like my C5 Z06 too much

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Carbon Ceramic Brakes are a $15,000 option on a Porsche. And on the Enzo a brake job runs near $30k. So... in light of all that $7k is a steal for a carbon ceramic upgrade that comes on the Enzo!
This is without a doubt one of the cheapest HBK's (I am coining a new name - Huge Brake Kit) ever to go on sale

Last edited by RC45; 07-05-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:31 PM
BigBlueDevil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front fenders and rear spoiler for me please!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Fab Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pricing on the supercharger?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:49 AM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fab Vette
Old 07-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by TheTrot
Gene would it be possible to do a "Z06" Conversion but swap in the ZR1 front fenders? I don't like the ZR1 wheels, and the side skirts. The brakes while nice are looking to be a ridiculous cost.

I'd assume for Z06 wheels and brakes the inner fender stuff from the Z06 would be fine and it would bolt on to the ZR1 fender (except the side air vent stuff).

Yes, the liners and all are the same. I'm sure we'll be doing variations of this.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by Fab Vette
The supercharger part is in the system, but is not available and there is currently not a price. I will keep you updated!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:55 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

I am extremely interested in a lot of the items.

1. Front Fenders
2. Rear Quaters
3. Front Bumper & Spliter
4. Rear spoiler
5. Side skirts
6. Possibly the Supercharger(if thats the direction i choose to go)
7. Z06 brake kit
8. 4LT/3LZ/3ZR interior kit(dash, seats, door panels, center console etc) [again if i choose to go factory instead of aftermarket on this]

The ZR1 wheels would be easily availble within 3-4 months, give it time for the members in here to sell them for a set of light weight forged wheels.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
I am extremely interested in a lot of the items.

1. Front Fenders
2. Rear Quaters
3. Front Bumper & Spliter
4. Rear spoiler
5. Side skirts
6. Possibly the Supercharger(if thats the direction i choose to go)
7. Z06 brake kit
8. 4LT/3LZ/3ZR interior kit(dash, seats, door panels, center console etc) [again if i choose to go factory instead of aftermarket on this]

The ZR1 wheels would be easily availble within 3-4 months, give it time for the members in here to sell them for a set of light weight forged wheels.
I am working on all of these items for everyone.

The 4LT items are available now... very very low quantities. The door panels go for around $1100 each and I believe the dash was $1500. If anyone is interested please contact me!
Old 07-12-2008, 05:14 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interested in the front splitter for sure and the side skirts as long as they can be mounted. Might as well inquire about the availability of the carbon fiber roof also since mine may fly off unexpectedly..........haven't done the recall yet
Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 PM
yankintx
Pro

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Thanks Gene.

$6500.00 without the paint, and without the hood. It will be interesting to see just how many go for this.

Let me know when available Gene. Those prices sound very reasonable. It'll go great with the supercharger I'm having installed at this time. Zr1 "looks" with
650+ horsepower , and a top that comes off is gonna be a great combination.

It's also amazing how many Z06 owners are interested as well. I'll bet we don't hear the "poser" comments from some of them ( not many, just a select few on this forum) now that they are interested in utilizing Zr1 parts for their cars.

It's just great that there so many options available to Corvette owners. Makes owning one a blast!

Last edited by yankintx; 07-12-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Rear Quarter Conversions Available! (ZR1 Conversion Info)

Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
jdrake
Instructor

Gene,

thanks for being on top of this for us all. I am VERY interested in the rear spoiler and rocker panels. I will purchase the front splitter when available, so put me down on your list.

Thanks again,
Jon
Old 07-12-2008, 05:36 PM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

Wow. I think Id rather get a ZR1 and trade somebody for the Z06 front fenders and a CF hood than the other way around. Expensive!

But that really IS a great price for a CC brake upgrade.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Gene Culley

Thank you for your interest all. I'm keeping track of all of the requests and I'll let you guys know when I have some more info.

Quick Reply: ZR1 Rear Quarter Conversions Available! (ZR1 Conversion Info)