C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PROBLEM!!! Driver door not closing properly

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 PM
RDFLPIN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM!!! Driver door not closing properly

Frequently, when my '07 C6 is in cold or hot weather, the door on the driver side will not close properly when I shut it. It will remain slightly ajar. Its like the door is twisted or sagging just enough to prevent the self-indexing windows from "seating" and closing all the way up. I have to open it and shut it once or twice to get it to close. The Chevy dealer is still stumped.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. How long has this been happening?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

If the dealer is stumped, to me, this means you need another dealer, don't you agree? This is their car, they fix it. If they can't, then they don't know their car.

I'll modify that to say that this dealer could call in GM and Chev engineers rather than leaving you hanging with a non-fitting door. It's up to them, and you to ask for more "troops."
Old 06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
LarryL
Cruising

Default Door Ajar

May be the start of the problem I had this past weekend on my 05. I was at Myrtle Beach for the Cruise in and at the end of the show started to leave and the passenger door would not latch and the window would only go to within 2 inches of seating. Of course this was Saturday afternoon and the dealers in Myrtle Beach were of no help. Only saleman on the dealership lot and they wanted to trade. I bungled the door, drove 190 miles home and my dealer looked at it Wed. and had a new latch in this morning and replaced it this afternoon.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RDFLPIN
Frequently, when my '07 C6 is in cold or hot weather, the door on the driver side will not close properly when I shut it. It will remain slightly ajar. Its like the door is twisted or sagging just enough to prevent the self-indexing windows from "seating" and closing all the way up. I have to open it and shut it once or twice to get it to close. The Chevy dealer is still stumped.

I'm glad to hear I am not going crazy. I "had" the same issue. I went into my dealer and tried duplicating the problem for the Service Advisor. I couldn't do it. No matter how many times I opened and closed the door. Then a few days later, same thing. Again, I went into the dealer with the exact same (now embarrassing) result-no issue. The Service Advisor told me that I was "not using enough force to close the door."

No other suggestions were made other than "keep an eye on it."

This was 2 months ago...and have not seen it since...weird.

Red Cell.

Last edited by Red Cell; 06-13-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:03 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
If the dealer is stumped, to me, this means you need another dealer, don't you agree? This is their car, they fix it. If they can't, then they don't know their car.

I'll modify that to say that this dealer could call in GM and Chev engineers rather than leaving you hanging with a non-fitting door. It's up to them, and you to ask for more "troops."
Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Captainkelp
Intermediate

This is the same thing that happens to me every now and then. When it does I just re-index the windows and it fixes it for a while. Not a big enough deal for me to take my car to the dealer so they can abuse it, rather then fix it.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:09 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Let's see, you have a significant safety problem with the car (if you drive with the door ajar it might open on the Interstate) and the dealer says they can't fix it. If that is the true situation then you have 4 options.
  1. Ignore it.
  2. Keep asking here until you get enough information to fix it yourself.
  3. Find a dealer who knows his a&& from a hole in the ground.
  4. Start documenting the trips and in a month or so file a lemon law action and get a new car.
I choose #4.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:18 AM
ZeusC6
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Did you try and re-index the window?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:56 PM
RDFLPIN
Intermediate

How do you re-index the window? Is it in the manual?
Old 06-14-2008, 06:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yes, it's in the manual. very easy.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:59 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had the same problem I thought the door was misaligned as the door was not shutting all the way. My first thought was that the door was sagging, checked the hinges which did not show any misalignment. I then noticed that the window was outside of the roof weatherstripping.

Checked if the window was indexing and it wasn't.

Fix, re-indexed the windows. Problem fixed.

Window indexing, lower window then raise window when it is completely up hold the window switch for 3 seconds, do both windows. Simple

Hope this helps and that this was your problem.

Get notified of new replies

To PROBLEM!!! Driver door not closing properly

Quick Reply: PROBLEM!!! Driver door not closing properly