C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two types of Widebodies, whats the deal with one??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:18 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Default Two types of Widebodies, whats the deal with one??

Not trying to start any flame war.

I have enjoyed looking at the post below regarding, "show pics of your widebodies". Some awesome cars there guys.

However, something is apparent and confusing to me.

There are actually two types of widebodies. The first I will refer to as a real "widebody" since both the front and rear has been converted. I think these look great and I assume most of you have done it in coupes because you love the removable top or the vert guys that also love the open top feeling. Your cars all looks GREAT! Then there is what I will refer to as a "rearbody" since only the rear was done.

I went from a C6 to a Z06 primarily because I LOVE the flared look of the Z body.

So here is my question;

What are you "rearbody" guys thinking??

Personally, (I say Again, NO offense meant), I think the rearbody conversion only, looks half-arsed. Its like a job that is half completed.

Do you really think it looks good with the flared rear and a flat front??

Why did you guys opt to only do the rear??

Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,413 Likes on 613 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Maybe some of the so called "rearbodies" are "Work in progress" cars.

It's a bit more expensive to do the front.

If I were to do this conversion I would have probably started at the back myself.

Doing the front requires 2 fenders AND the front facia.

One end at a time as you can afford it.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,413 Likes on 613 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

ALSO, I think it looks pretty cool with the rear widened and the front not. Kinda like the old 930 Turbo Porsche......
Old 06-13-2008, 10:45 AM
BLK-DVL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the rear fenders only to get bigger tires/rims out back. When you are pushing out 600+ to the tires it helps.... plus it looks good. Z06's are not the only ones making power

Everyone that I met thus far has liked it, but then again my car is black so it is not as pronounced as on other colors maybe. Some of us decided they don't want to make their cars look completely like Z06's, because they are not. I have been on and of about doing the whole conversion but made up my mind that I just didn't want to. I don't like the front scoop at all, and just don't want my car to look like something its not. If I could buy the front Z06 style fenders from some vendor that works with the C6 front facia I would do that in a heart brake to get the bigger side vents.

Last edited by BLK-DVL; 06-13-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by BLK-DVL
I did the rear fenders only to get bigger tires/rims out back. When you are pushing out 600+ to the tires it helps.... plus it looks good. Z06's are not the only ones making power

Everyone that I met thus far has liked it, but then again my car is black so it is not as pronounced as on other colors maybe. Some of us decided they don't want to make their cars look completely like Z06's, because they are not. I have been on and of about doing the whole conversion but made up my mind that I just didn't want to. I don't like the front scoop at all, and just don't want my car to look like something its not.

For the record, I am not one of those Z owners that think C6 widebody owners are copycats/posers. I also considered doing a widebody before I got the Z but at the end of the day could not justify the $10k for the full conversion knowing I would get nadda back on sale/trade-in.

For me, the Z purchase was really more about the appearance than the added HP, not that Im complaining about the extra 100 HP.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 AM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I believe some of the guys prefer the rear only look and some dont have the knowledge to do the front. The rear is a very easy Mod and cost is not too bad. The front however is costly and involved. I think either looks good, I was capable of doing my front and back myself for appox. 7500.00 after I sold all the parts I took off.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

"...I went from a C6 to a Z06 primarily because I LOVE the flared look of the Z body."

Wow...and you went from a C6 to a Z06 mostly for the looks.

I guess people just have different preferences and priorities.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:47 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the rear only widebody... I think thats the way it should come out of the factory... I do admit that the full widebody looks better, but to me, the rear only widebody is very very close...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 AM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ohmy
I love the rear only widebody... I think thats the way it should come out of the factory... I do admit that the full widebody looks better, but to me, the rear only widebody is very very close...

That wide backend just looks
Old 06-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

The rear conversion costs a ton less than the front conversion, that's why. The rear fenders are SMC just like standard fenders, and are quite reasonably priced. The front fenders are carbon fiber and cost accordingly, plus for it to look right you have to do the front fascia as well. There's also the difference between buying 2 new wheels and tires versus 4.

As to it looking half-arsed, a ton of things guys do to their Vettes look anywhere from half-arsed to full-arsed to me. But I try (not always successfully) to not say so because it always causes offense, disclaimers notwithstanding.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:07 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I needed the rear for wider tires for traction with 600+ hp, but I do road courses, so wider rears without wider fronts wasn't an option. All or nothing. more hp or not, the widebody was the best road course upgrade I have ever made on any car.
Mine won't be looking as much like a Z06 after next week though, when it goes in the body shop for the new caravaggio front bumper and mcm hood, plus a complete repaint.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:10 PM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

I think this was a good thread topic for discussion. I have a JSB 08 C6 Coupe 3LT A6 Z51.

I am a fan of the wide body on the Z06 and wish it was offered as an "RPO Option" at the time that I ordered my car for a reasonable option fee of perhaps $4000.00

I could not justify spending $10k to do an aftermarket wide body conversion which would require me to buy:

1. New Front Bumper
2. New Front Fenders & liners
3. New Rear Quarters & liners
4. New Wheels & Rubber
5. Paint, Labor & Installation etc.

I would see being able to sell my C6 wheels and tires and brakes, but would take a loss on the body components.

In JSB; a rear only conversion looked out of balance and disturbed the lines of the car.

Instead; I sold my new C6 wheels, tires and Z51 brake system and installed new wheels, wider Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires and the Z06 brake system

Total out of pocket cost to install the aftermarket wheels, new 265/35/18 front and 305/30/19 tires and Z06 brakes was about $2k.

To complete the look and maintain the integrity of the sleek C6 body lines; I purchased the APSIS front & rear Z06 long style mud guards that I am having them painted & clear coated in JSB & will be installing them when they are finished with paint & clear coat.

I for one like the aggressive appearance of the complete Z06 wide body.

And equally as well; I really like the sleeker lines of the C6 coupe with the Z06 brake kit.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:29 PM
RFP
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by INGER67

That wide backend just looks
Yep !!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 PM
yankintx
Pro

Originally Posted by Glennm27
ALSO, I think it looks pretty cool with the rear widened and the front not. Kinda like the old 930 Turbo Porsche......
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 PM
aeronos
Pro

I like the look of the C6 with just the rear done. Doesn't make it look exactly like a Z06 which I like. Plus, who wants to shell out $5K in parts for a 'look' to the front?

I think this looks great (posted in another thread yesterday):

Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aeronos
That looks mean!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:45 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
I needed the rear for wider tires for traction with 600+ hp, but I do road courses, so wider rears without wider fronts wasn't an option. All or nothing. more hp or not, the widebody was the best road course upgrade I have ever made on any car.
Mine won't be looking as much like a Z06 after next week though, when it goes in the body shop for the new caravaggio front bumper and mcm hood, plus a complete repaint.
Can't wait for pics, Mike!

Get notified of new replies

To Two types of Widebodies, whats the deal with one??

Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think flared fenders look good at all. I think the lines on a C6 are perfect, however I was a bit bored with the hood

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
I needed the rear for wider tires for traction with 600+ hp....
That would be the only reason I can see for switching to flared fenders (front or rear.)

Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 PM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol, I have the "knowlege" to do the front. I have a bunch of power and I wanted more tire. I also did not want to pretend I was a Z06 so I thought I would do the rear first then see. I love her big booty. I've always been a butt man. I actually think it looks more hardcore. Its saying, "hey I have this lowly standard Vette that will eat most Z06s and I really need to borrow those wide fenders big brother". Of course there are many modded Z's that will hand me my chille, I don't want to start a urination storm. I really dig the look though. Its staying. I respect everybodies option to do god awful things to their cars
Old 06-19-2008, 10:42 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts

Like any other mod...It comes down to cost... The rear conversion affordable, the front cost $$$. I did the complete widebody ONLY, because insurance from an accident made it affordable. I like c6's w/rearbody, both front and rear...& without either.. We have great looking cars period. But, you have to admitt, the whole deal does look pretty damn nice!!

Last edited by iridelow; 06-19-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Two types of Widebodies, whats the deal with one??