C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two types of Widebodies, whats the deal with one??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:45 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My Vette is in the shop getting the widebooty as I type. I wanted the ability to run bigger tires in the rear. The front conversion doesn't make sense for me as I can run at least 295s under the stock fenders. I actually thought about tubbing the rear, but chose the Z06 fenders instead. My car is black like another poster, so I think the rear-only conversion is less pronounced than "brighter" colors.

San
Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

It sure is good to see a Z06 owner that doesn't feel threatned or hatin'.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 PM
jklarkpimp
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
It sure is good to see a Z06 owner that doesn't feel threatned or hatin'.

i do like the z front end, but i like my hood more...

I may do a different front end and maybe some zr1 fenders later

for now im happy with this set up, the difference in front fenders is so subtle, i do love attention to detail but 4k in parts for the front plus paint, almost not worth it

Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 PM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

Oh man.....
LOL Of course it looks half arsed it is half arsed.... the big half!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 AM
buggy27
Instructor

aaaa crap i just pissed in my pants...bro that car is sick,,,, hey ship it to me down here in texas, i would love to pimp that mf...
Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

Originally Posted by Glennm27
ALSO, I think it looks pretty cool with the rear widened and the front not. Kinda like the old 930 Turbo Porsche......
Old 06-20-2008, 01:21 AM
va2ac
Instructor

Originally Posted by aeronos
I like the look of the C6 with just the rear done. Doesn't make it look exactly like a Z06 which I like. Plus, who wants to shell out $5K in parts for a 'look' to the front?

I think this looks great (posted in another thread yesterday):

Where did you get the hood?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:28 AM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLK-DVL
I did the rear fenders only to get bigger tires/rims out back. When you are pushing out 600+ to the tires it helps.... plus it looks good. Z06's are not the only ones making power

Everyone that I met thus far has liked it, but then again my car is black so it is not as pronounced as on other colors maybe. Some of us decided they don't want to make their cars look completely like Z06's, because they are not. I have been on and of about doing the whole conversion but made up my mind that I just didn't want to. I don't like the front scoop at all, and just don't want my car to look like something its not. If I could buy the front Z06 style fenders from some vendor that works with the C6 front facia I would do that in a heart brake to get the bigger side vents.
I just like the look of the wide rear end......
Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 AM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Snagle
That looks mean!

Your Vette looks great...nice setup
Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by rz2mbc
I just like the look of the wide rear end......
Me too... I dont think it looks out of balance at all. You'll notice that the stock C6 front fenders already have a good amount of "flare" built in. Does it look EXACTLY like a Z06? Nope, but it still looks good.

If I come across a steal on some Z06/ZR1 front fenders, I'll do the fronts, but to me, the additional $4500 for the new front parts isn't anywhere near worth it. If my C6 stays a rear-only WB for the rest of its life, that's fine with me. I like it just as it is.

Ok, well, maybe I'll add a nice aftermarket hood, but thats it! Mod Fever strikes again!

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-20-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:41 AM
aeronos
Pro

Originally Posted by va2ac
Where did you get the hood?

It's a lingenfelter hood. I believe the Magnusson supercharger requires you install a high rise hood to fit.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 AM
socalenergyman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL... I did the wide booty only to achieve the wide meaty tires......I love the wide back with the slim sleek front...I put the RK hood to complement the fender lines...very aggressive....Kinda old school new school...and much more agressive spoiler....not like a z at all...

Last edited by socalenergyman; 06-20-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally LOVE the wide BOOTY vettes. The main reason I like the looks of the Z is the rear quarters. The front bumper and front quarters don't really 'do anything for me'
Old 06-20-2008, 07:50 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Thank you for all of the honest replies and I'm glad this did not get nasty.

To each his own, and this is a personal thing just like wheels or other major mods.

I personally am into proportions and symetry and just don't get the widebooty look.

Regards
Old 06-20-2008, 08:50 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBadZ06
Thank you for all of the honest replies and I'm glad this did not get nasty.

To each his own, and this is a personal thing just like wheels or other major mods.

I personally am into proportions and symetry and just don't get the widebooty look.

Regards
I am a little confused On your original post you said you like the "whole" widebody but NOT just the rear widebody.. If I understand you...you just don't like the "rear booty" unless the fronts are done as well? Now I'm confused!! Just playing w/ya! The C6 is a beautuful car...as long as you don't park it next to a C6z06 or C6 widebody or widebooty. The fender flairs, big wheels and front end really stand out when it's compaired to a stock c6, side by side.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:08 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by iridelow
I am a little confused On your original post you said you like the "whole" widebody but NOT just the rear widebody.. If I understand you...you just don't like the "rear booty" unless the fronts are done as well? Now I'm confused!! Just playing w/ya! The C6 is a beautuful car...as long as you don't park it next to a C6z06 or C6 widebody or widebooty. The fender flairs, big wheels and front end really stand out when it's compaired to a stock c6, side by side.
Sorry for the confusion.

To be clear. I love the Whole widebody look, regardless of its on a coupe or vert. I am not a Z egomaniac and do NOT think wholebody conversations are posers or wannabees.

I do not like the Rear only (Widebooty) look. Its out of balance and looks like a work in progress.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:26 AM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only downside IMHO with the rear-only widebody conversion is the mis-match of the fender "lips". This is the flat around the wheel well openings. The Z06 (or full wide-body) has very fine, almost sharp wheel lips. The C6 has much thicker lips. Neither one is better than the other, just different. I like **** to match. I wouldn't put chrome wheels on the rear and comp grays on the front.

Get notified of new replies

To Two types of Widebodies, whats the deal with one??

Old 06-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Gene Gorman
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like all cars. Anything that an owner does to make his car different or the way he thinks it should look is fine with me. I love going to hot rod shows, NCRS events,Cobra shows,and German car shows. I did the wide rear on my '07 so that I could get bigger tires on it. With the Maggie 122 and 585 whp it needed more traction. I think it looks more agressive with just the rear done. Some people must like it because every time we show it it takes first place.

Last edited by Gene Gorman; 06-20-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A Z06 nose on a C6 is blasphemy as far as I'm concerned.

Rear flares can be gotten away with because you can claim it's necessary for wider tires...but to do a front Z06 conversion is silly.

It irks me anytime I see one at the track, then see it pull mid 12s and realize it's just a stock C6 trying to look like a Z06.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C6LSx
I am a fan of the wide body on the Z06 and wish it was offered as an "RPO Option" at the time that I ordered my car for a reasonable option fee of perhaps $4000.00
I'm with you. If it was an option I would not have a Corvette without it. My only fear is that, since it's on a Corvette, GM would probably charge a lot more than what people here are paying to do it. They charge $75 for a painted license plate frame!

Quick Reply: Two types of Widebodies, whats the deal with one??