C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a c6 widebody conversion hard to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM
yankintx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a c6 widebody conversion hard to sell?

Considering doing a widebody conversion on an 08 Coupe. Anyone have any thoughts on whether this type of vehicle will be difficult to sell in the future? I realize that dollars spent on conversion are probably lost, but just want to know opinions on whether someone would buy one.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 AM
edv2122
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't think so espeically if you sell the car privately. I think it would be easier to sell. I can see a dealer trying their best to give you their dealer BS that it is not stock therefore they will have to deduct $$ on trade to bring it back to stock. You could always keep your stock pieces just in case, then you could tell the dealer you have the stock pieces and they can have them and give you the wide body stuff back. That way you can then sell the widebody pieces.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by edv2122
I wouldn't think so espeically if you sell the car privately. I think it would be easier to sell. I can see a dealer trying their best to give you their dealer BS that it is not stock therefore they will have to deduct $$ on trade to bring it back to stock. You could always keep your stock pieces just in case, then you could tell the dealer you have the stock pieces and they can have them and give you the wide body stuff back. That way you can then sell the widebody pieces.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

My personal opinion is they would be hard to sell or trade in at a dealer.I lived through the 60's where people were flaring wheel wells so they could put larger tires on and those cars took a tremendous hit when owners tried to get rid of them.A lot of Corvette buyers would not even touch one in those days.I can see this coming back to haunt the ones that do it again.
Oh,And to answer your question, I would never buy on that has body panels modified!

Last edited by BOB'S C6; 06-06-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:04 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Like any mod, the desirability and sellability of it is in the eye of the beholder. This goes for cosmetic as well as performance mods.

Widebodies will be tough to trade-in or sell to a dealer/auction. It isn't stock, and you're having to assume that there is a willing buyer available for the exact thing you did - always a tough sell. Selling privately is the only way to do it (or sell to a specialized dealership that does custom work), but it will obviously take longer.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:07 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette
Like any mod, the desirability and sellability of it is in the eye of the beholder. This goes for cosmetic as well as performance mods.

Widebodies will be tough to trade-in or sell to a dealer/auction. It isn't stock, and you're having to assume that there is a willing buyer available for the exact thing you did - always a tough sell. Selling privately is the only way to do it (or sell to a specialized dealership that does custom work), but it will obviously take longer.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:07 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Like any perminent mods it depends on the dealer, buyer and timing.

I do agree with your statement that you should not expect any return on the investment with a widebody conversation.

At the end of the day, do the conversation for you because you want it, dont focus on the resale issue to much.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Given the choice between a Widebody conversion and a stock C6 I'd buy the stock C6. Heavily modded cars, even if just for appearance, are highly personal. To sell you have to find someone with the same "eye" as yours. And you can pretty much forget trading it in unless you can stomach the big $$$ hit...
Old 06-06-2008, 11:38 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 162 Likes on 87 Posts

I think it works both ways. On a trade in, you will take a hit. On a private sell you may yield more if the buyer knows vettes and even plans to do many mods and loves the widebody. Someone looking to spend some cash for a nice vette, will be the buyer. Someone looking to finace a high dollar used car will most likely go to a dealer anyway...
Rule of thumb on any used car is "Stock is best" but I did'nt buy my car to turn around and sell. I will mod it, enjoy it, and when I sell it, I will know I enjoyed the hell of it!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Generally speaking; a wide body conversion done to a C6 in a professional manner with regard to all GM Parts and perfectly matched paint won't do anything to tremendously hinder the resale value of your C6 as a preowned unit on a private party sale and even perhaps a dealer trade.

But nevertheless; your C6 will always be a C6 regardless of the modifications that you have done to it. And with that said; most all modifications that you do to the car are strictly for your ownership enjoyment and will do nothing to add economic value to the car at the time of sale or trade.

Modifications that are done sloppily or lack provenance from a reputable shop may in fact hinder the value of the car at the time of sale or trade.

Specifically; this is one of the reasons why companies such as Callaway, Katech and Lingenfelter are a bit more expensive when compared to the average local shop with regard to performing modifications.

Those that "are in the know" that are considering purchasing a previously owned C6 would perhaps look more favorably upon an appearance or performance modification performend by one of those name shops and that perhaps may help you sell the car a bit faster when compared to other stock C6 vehicles.

But I think it's safe to assume that any or most mod's that you do to the car are strictly for your enjoyment and ownsership experience and I would give no consideration to recouping any of those costs at the time of sale.

My personal C6 is being built as more of a grand touring high performance luxury sports car. And with that said; I personally have a difficult time justifying the cost of $10k to do a wide body panel conversion just for a wider track appearance when I don't track the vahicle and have no need for 345 series rear rubber.

I am more adpt to spend the same $10k on "creature comforts" such as a complete fully dressed leather & alcantara interior cabin.

But the beauty of owning such a car as a C6 is the wealth of products available in the aftermarket to allow you to personalize your vehicle to your specific tastes. And quite candidly; it doesn't get much better than that.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:58 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Take pictures and document the conversion. That will at least reassure buyers that it was done properly, and not done because the car was wrecked.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by danl72

I would never buy a Vette that had any heavy mods, and the widebody would kill it for me as it is not original to the car and it is too hard to tell whether it has been wrecked or not. A lot of conversions were. I would even shy from a car that had any blending or extensive paint work done unless I were going to track it anyway. I think a dealer would kill you on a trade with a converted car and it would be harder to sell on a private sale. The buyers that came to see my C5 were really picky, and my car was flawless original. .
Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I plan to put all the stock panels back on before selling or tradin in. If I buy another C6 I'll put the widebody panels on the new one. If it's C7 time I'll sell the widebody parts to someone with a C6.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Judging from the fact that I have had two Forum members in the last six months IM me asking to give them first shot at my car when I sell it….I would say that it probrobly wouldn’t be too hard to sell. But, I didn’t do the widebody for resale…I did it because I like it. Additionally, I saved all of the original body parts, so I always have the option of returning it to stock if I want when I sell it.

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 06-06-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:22 PM
stroked250
Drifting

I think it will be easier to sell for the price you want to get for it.

I have only driven lifted trucks and Jeeps my whole life until buying the C6 (my first car). In fact, I traded a lifted F250 on 40s for the vette. I have always gotten quite a bit more on TRADE INs than kbb or even private expected sales. A lot of times modded vehicles are used to market and bring people into the dealership, looking for that or not. They usually stick these cars/trucks in the front of the lot or showroom.

With the huge number of stock C6s available, I think a widebody will sell very easily; if done right with perfect paint match. These are "rare" C6s. Many people want the widebody but can't afford it, this is a perfect way to get into one.

You can usualy find someone posting a WTB Widebody in the ForSale section here.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Since you have a worry over that, if I were in your shoes and wanted a widebody conversion, I would do the conversion, keeping all my stock pieces and when trade time came, I would just return it to stock. Then sell the widebody parts to recoup some of the cost.

Indeed, I just received the first installment of parts to do my own widebody conversion - I got a set of wheels from Forum Member Orlando-Krash (good transaction! ) Next up are the body pieces and then tires. Work will be done this fall/winter after driving season is over. I will be selling my take-off parts however, 'cause this is my last Corvette - gonna drive it till I die
Old 06-06-2008, 03:36 PM
NXTFAZE
Melting Slicks

Received 259 Likes on 76 Posts

You will sell a widebody vette very easily.....just look at the for sale section. Every widebody that I saw for sale sold quickly......

I'm thinking about doing it myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a c6 widebody conversion hard to sell?

Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,046 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Well under 1% of C6 owners go the wide body route, so I assume that the same number of people would consider buying a used wide body C6. IMO.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

The only other issue to keep in mind is that if planning on putting it back to stock is that some colors (metalic and tintcoats) had to be blended to match. That means the original panels will not match anymore when put back on.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Stock is best for resale. And I count all money towards mods as money that will *not* be recovered at sale time, but instead just money I spent because I wanted that mod for myself.

*But* since the widebody is a very popular look, is 100% bolt-on genuine GM parts, and has no effect on driveability, reliability, emissions, etc, I would think that the effect would be negligible at the dealer. I don't think it will *add* value, but given the factors above, I personally don't believe it will deduct value either.

There is a big difference between adding aftermarket parts, and adding factory parts.

Quick Reply: Is a c6 widebody conversion hard to sell?