C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a c6 widebody conversion hard to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:12 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by edv2122
I wouldn't think so espeically if you sell the car privately. I think it would be easier to sell. I can see a dealer trying their best to give you their dealer BS that it is not stock therefore they will have to deduct $$ on trade to bring it back to stock. You could always keep your stock pieces just in case, then you could tell the dealer you have the stock pieces and they can have them and give you the wide body stuff back. That way you can then sell the widebody pieces.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:21 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Back again?

Only if you add LS3 Badges.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:56 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette
People are confusing the highly-knowledgeable, highly-interested members of this Forum with the general buying public. They are not the same thing.

A dealership may or may not notice a widebody conversion, but the problems are these:

1. Obviously, any warranty issues involving body panels and anything associated with them are out-the-door. The dealer would be assuming a certain amount of liability for selling a modified car (especially if it gets in an accident and someone is hurt/killed), and a lot don't want to do that.

2. Despite how careful you may think you've looked, no one can really know the quality of work done. So, you're taking a risk.

3. The nature of mods in general means that it appeals to only certain people. The dealer is in the business of trying to get the car to appeal to as many people as possible. More mods means that's harder to do.

If someone is really interested in selling a modded car, they will have to accept that it will be harder to sell. Period. Plus, the mods certainly aren't going to recoup any of the money spent if it's a typical trade-in scenario. You'd get more with a private sale, but that takes time, you lose on the sales tax side of things, etc.
I have to differ with you. Usually, the car is out of warranty any way, and that doesn't even come into play. On top of that, I traded in my 3 year old heavily modded 350z to get my C6. They gave me 28 after a lot of negotiation and looking at other places, which is what I figured the blue book stock, plus what I could sell my mods for was actually worth.

It took Maxie Price 1 week to sell the Z for 48000. I could have rebuilt a new one for less, but good for them. Dealer or not, they will sell if tastefully done. Dealers will low ball you on trade in, as thats what they do, but they will def. sell it for more.

One other thing, my complete repaint comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:18 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,046 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Modding a car always narrows the range of potential buyers, since most guys want a stock used Vette. This means a dealer likely won't pay you much. You might get a decent offer from someone who wants just what you have, like the poster avobe with the beautiful red widebody convertible, but you might have to wait longer than usual to get such an offer. My 2 pennies.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 AM
yankintx
Pro

Started this thread 4 months ago when I was considering a widebody. I decided not to go through with it for a couple reasons;

1. I don't keep cars long and couldn't see blowing 10-15k on mods and maybe getting zero for them them when I sell.

2. Impossible to paint panels without blending, so original panels can't be replaced because they will no longer match.

3. I got the itch for the real thing .......(Z06)

4. After reading Quicksilvers many many many many posts on the Z06.....I gotta have one for myself...
Old 10-03-2008, 12:27 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by yankintx
Started this thread 4 months ago when I was considering a widebody. I decided not to go through with it for a couple reasons;

1. I don't keep cars long and couldn't see blowing 10-15k on mods and maybe getting zero for them them when I sell.
100%..... 10-15k on mods which you won't get much of any of back when you go to sell. May as well take 10-15k and stick a match to it and get "enjoyment" out of watching it burn.

Seriously, it would make the same amount of sense.

2. Impossible to paint panels without blending, so original panels can't be replaced because they will no longer match.
Again, very true. That won't go over big in here.

3. I got the itch for the real thing .......(Z06)
An itch which is impossible to scratch with anything else but the real thing.

4. After reading Quicksilvers many many many many posts on the Z06.....I gotta have one for myself...
And when you do, you will discover that he wasn't lying or exaggerating.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-03-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:15 AM
jklarkpimp
Melting Slicks

Default is a widebody hard to sell?

a widebody painted and installed perfectly
will probably make it more desireable to the buyer

you do a widebody conversion for a few reasons...
reason #1 to burn up 10klight it on fire w a match..jk
(if you never sell your widebody vette
youll get more value out of the widebody mods)

if you want to run wider tires...
i could not run the wheels i have now
with out the widebody kit...20x9.5 20x12.5
i wanted an auto and a top that came off....
for some its easier to get a loan for 40k than it is to get one for 80k
its alot of fun building the car to your specs...

now just dont sell the car right after.....
you probably would be lucky to get half the money back..

but lets be real when your doing a widebody conversion...
its not an investment, (youll lose some cash)..

youre doing it to get the awesome wide look and stance
and thats worth it to many people..

or some just do it to pose as a z06 for only 10k more
they can get the widebody look
then feel like their car looks the same as a
80k z06..
(who could blame em, the z body looks great)

so they get the look of one of the greatest super cars of all time
for half the price of what it would be to get a real z (20k more)
some people dont care if they have the engine...
they just wanted the look

if it was me i say, pay the 20k extra and get a real z if you can..
and if thats what fits what you want...
you get the whole package with the z

Last edited by jklarkpimp; 10-03-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Z06vetteZ06
Advanced

Old 10-04-2008, 04:22 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

kind of on JKLARKs point, I have almost a ZR1 into my 05 at this point. If you are concerned about resale don't do it!
It may sell quicker, but you won't get your money out of it.

If you are like me and making your own personal statement is your thing, then go for it. Resale shouldn't matter to you. As I spend on my mods, I consider it like beer money, p'd down the drain. Anything I may recover later is a bonus. And, like I mentioned before in a post that Quicksilver was in, from now on, I will probably lease and not mod, because it is a lot of money down the drain. Not money I can't afford, but money that could have been used otherwise. That being also said, I am now about 9000 short of my funds for a stroker 466 build!!!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:16 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 229 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I think it would be an easy sell if you are patient and do not expect to get the amount you paid for the kit on the sale. Make sure the kit is done correctly with a good paint job that matches. I would have no problem purchasing a car with the wide booty, as long as it was done correctly.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 PM
jhchome52
3rd Gear

I would love to see some photos!
Originally Posted by C6LSx
That is one of the nice attributes of owning a C6; and that is the wealth of aftermarket components available to personalize your own ride.

I opted for a more "cost effective" wide body conversion for my JSB C6.

I purchased the APSIS front and rear Z06 long style mud guards which are more of a flare. I can tell you that for $800.00; they were top shelf in quality, attention to detail, manufacturing and OEM fit.

I am having the same; painted and clear coated in JSB and installed on my C6.

With that said; I am installing the front and rear Z06 brake system; CCW clear coated brushed aluminum wheels, carbon fiber rear exhaust valance and APR carbon fiber front splitter.

With this wheel and fender flare set up; I am able to run 275/35/18 Micheline Pilot Sport's on 18x10 front rims and 305/30/19 rear PS's on 19x11 rear wheel rims.

Painted APSIS front & rear Z06 long style Mudguards and installation was approximately $800.00
CCW Forged Wheel Rims were approximately $2900.00
Michelin Pilot PS2's were approximately $1800.00
Z06 Front & Rear brake system with cryo treated & plated rotors, stainless steel lines, Hawk Ceramic brake pads and custom painted JSB Z06 calipers were approximately $2300.00

Quick Reply: Is a c6 widebody conversion hard to sell?