C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whoooooosh, there goes the roof....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The transparent top is also made of polycarbonate but is not glued to the frame like the painted top. The problem is not the different coefficient of expansion but that the bonding mat'l did not bond to the polycarbonate. The bonding mat'l GM selected would bond to the SMC thus they changed the painted top from polycarbonate to SMC.
You are correct that the transparent top is polycarbonate and in the difference in the attachement method. The problem was in fact with the difference in expansion, that is fact and well documented. The difference put the adhesive in shear. This is why the tops delaminate after severe heating such as mid summer sun exposure. This was explained to me in detail by the folks from the plant.

(supported in this thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=shear

Last edited by talon90; 06-02-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

You know it still peeves me when I read about the roof problem. Here is the top dog Chevy and you would think the engineers did all the cold/hot testing during the development of this vehicle. I really think they dropped the ball. Where are the first rate engineers at GM ? Have they all left the company ?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iridelow
I'm with you, that sucks.. It's just a matter of time before some one on a Harley/bike "owns" GM!!!! At least their widow does!!!!
Since recalls have been sent out it will probably be the owner paying big.

Once I received my recall I bought a transparent top to replace my painted one. I couldn't stand the thought of what you described happening.

I delayed having mine fixed since it had not shown any signs of damage and I didn't want to take a chance on the dealer screwing it up. However when it was in for an ABS problem I had the top repaired and after two attempts at getting the paint right I finally just picked it up and stuck it in the box the transparent top came in until I could get the time to try and buff the marks they left in it removing the dirt that was trapped under the clear coat.

I'm glad to hear no one was injured and I hope your repair turns out better than mine.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 PM
red06c6hm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The transparent top is also made of polycarbonate but is not glued to the frame like the painted top. The problem is not the different coefficient of expansion but that the bonding mat'l did not bond to the polycarbonate. The bonding mat'l GM selected would bond to the SMC thus they changed the painted top from polycarbonate to SMC.
So does this mean they will replace with the SMC top?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by red06c6hm
So does this mean they will replace with the SMC top?
Yes, there was production line change to the SMC top and the replacement tops are all SMC.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 PM
red06c6hm
Instructor

Yes, there was production line change to the SMC top and the replacement tops are all SMC.
Cool, then all things said, instead of foam in my original top. Which I screwed up the first time I took it off and scapped paint off of it, I thought it went in like my C4 and the hooks ripped it up on the edges, I get a new top instead. Now i just have to hope the paint matches and its good.....

Anbody want to give me odds...
Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
. . . "For the 2007 model year the panel material was changed back to SMC and the problem was solved".
Caught a break on that one then.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to get this straight the roof on the non-Z06 car is removable correct? So it flies off even when latched in? I am aware of the flying roof problem with fixed roof Z's but apparantly the problem is inherrent in other C6's as well?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

You are correct that the transparent top is polycarbonate and in the difference in the attachement method. The problem was in fact with the difference in expansion, that is fact and well documented. The difference put the adhesive in shear. This is why the tops delaminate after severe heating such as mid summer sun exposure. This was explained to me in detail by the folks from the plant.

(supported in this thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=shear
I take anything an automotive engineer says, off the cuff, with a grain of salt, especially if it is in regards to any product that may be involved in any present or future litigations, such as safety recalls. I doubt if we (the consumer) will really ever know the root cause of the problem. On the NHTSA campaign ID # 06V181000 it says "On certain 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvettes equipped with painted roofs, the adhesive between the roof panel & the frame may separate". It doesn't say what causes the adhesive failure and due to possible litigations, I doubt if GM or any of their engineers are going to give out any details. Remember, GM engineers said there was no safety problems regarding the Steering column lock on the C5's. As we later found out, there were (the steering column could lock up at speed, and the Feds made GM fix the problem with a recall). Even then, GM didn't really fix the problem.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-02-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What do I do? I bought a used c6 recently. GM does not I have this car do they? If there is a recall for my roof how will I know? Should I take it to the dealer and have them run my vin? Maybe I wshould just take it off and wait till November.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 PM
BlueTx
Advanced

Default whooooosh

Call your dealership right away! Your ejection seat failed!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Axl Jack
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueTx
Call your dealership right away! Your ejection seat failed!
Best.... quote..... ever. Thankx for the laugh.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 AM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The transparent top is a different animal all together. This won't / can't happen to the transparent top. With the introduction of the C6 the painted panel was changed from an SMC material (C5) to a polycarbonate to save weight due to the different size from the C5 and it saved 3 pounds. The polycarbonate has a different coefficient of expansion from the frame. During heat up and cool down cycles the panel would expand at a different rate than the frame which puts the adhesive in shear. For the 2007 model year the panel material was changed back to SMC and the problem was solved.
Thanks Paul, again I am in awe for the vast amount of knowledge that is shared thru this forum by members like yourself. As stated I'll have the dealer do what is required to the painted top, than I'll store it away, thanks again, Salt
Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Hairball
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Walkthedog
What do I do? I bought a used c6 recently. GM does not I have this car do they? If there is a recall for my roof how will I know? Should I take it to the dealer and have them run my vin? Maybe I wshould just take it off and wait till November.
Go here to get a number to call to check your VIN:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfm
Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Hairball
Melting Slicks

Hubby took our 2006 victory red to the local stealership yesterday to get the top, have the rear end looked at (the 2nd time), and other assorted issues taken care of. The top has some sort of black in the paint (dirt particles?), one corner looks like it was dropped and caused the paint to ripple....plus they got the silicone from the new gaskets all over the interior of the car....and let's not forget the greasy handprints on the inside of the driver's door. I do not understand why, if GM is replacing these roofs under a recall, they cannot get the damn paint code and have the roof panel painted at the factory, then ship it to the dealer. The local place just gets the plain roof, and then brings it to a local body shop to have it painted. What dumbarsses. I think the plan right now is to get a clear top, and pay the difference.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:58 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

A friend from work just had his top delaminate on his '06 just last week. Since I have the dual roof panel, I'm going to offer to lend him my transparent panel while his is getting replaced. He may not need it though since he has a few different vehicles to use while his top is getting replaced.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
Just to get this straight the roof on the non-Z06 car is removable correct?** Your are Correct** So it flies off even when latched in?** YOU ARE INCORRECT. THE SOLID COVER BECAME UNGLUED AND THE PIECE LEFT THE FRAME** I am aware of the flying roof problem with fixed roof Z's but apparantly the problem is inherrent in other C6's as well?** YOU ARE CORRECT**until the 07 roof fix

Get notified of new replies

To Whoooooosh, there goes the roof....

Old 06-03-2008, 07:14 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Mag Red Hairball
Hubby took our 2006 victory red to the local stealership yesterday to get the top, have the rear end looked at (the 2nd time), and other assorted issues taken care of. The top has some sort of black in the paint (dirt particles?), one corner looks like it was dropped and caused the paint to ripple....plus they got the silicone from the new gaskets all over the interior of the car....and let's not forget the greasy handprints on the inside of the driver's door. I do not understand why, if GM is replacing these roofs under a recall, they cannot get the damn paint code and have the roof panel painted at the factory, then ship it to the dealer. The local place just gets the plain roof, and then brings it to a local body shop to have it painted. What dumbarsses. I think the plan right now is to get a clear top, and pay the difference.
Simple. The factory doesn't paint the roof panel, the supplier does. The factory receives the panel painted in JIT quantities weekly to keep up with the assembly line.

The fastest way for the supplier to start replacing the roof panel in the field was to supply an unpainted panel to the dealership and the dealership paints it and transfers over the hardware from the customers existing roof panel. Even if the factory did paint the panels they couldn't paint enough panels to keep up with the recall and the assembly line.

Even when the changeover was happening at the factory the panels were swapped over on a color by color basis.

Currently the factory does not paint the side mirrors, the roof panel or the headlights. All of these parts arrive painted by their respective suppliers for installation on the new Corvettes. The panel that the dealer is receiving is the same panel that would come in via the service parts organization. This way the supplier can make and inventory one, unpainted panel rather than try to anticipate which panels of which color they need to ship out.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:17 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dreaded flying roof has been fixed for the 08 model year hasn't it? Mine has a transparent top.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by coolcat
The dreaded flying roof has been fixed for the 08 model year hasn't it? Mine has a transparent top.
The painted top flying roof was fixed for the 2007 model year. It has never been a problem with the transparent top. If you have the transparent top you don't have anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: Whoooooosh, there goes the roof....