C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console latch repair . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine still works but I admit I'm gentle with it. And I've never tried to lock it (useless to lock it anyway). I'm also gentle with the glove box door as I know that's a flawed design too.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I took the latch off of mine on purpose. The plastic on plastic was squeeking bad when I leaned on it.
Oh, and this is a 3 year old thread.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Randanky23
Advanced

This is great info! I'm going to have to do this...Mine was broken when the dealership replaced the shorter on my car and they're the biggest PIA's and don't want to deal with the headache of trying to prove they did it...Thanks for this thread
Old 02-07-2014, 08:45 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14
Default latch

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
So, am I the ONLY one to have broken the dinky little plastic latch off of my center console lid ? ? ?

Yes, the lid will stay down nicely with the assistance of gravity, but I have an '06 model with a LOCKING console lid, so having the latch is kind of nice.

Gluing the broken plastic one back on didn't work (and I didn't expect it to), so I replaced it with aluminum and steel.

I filed a new 6061-T6 aluminum latch to shape, twice as thick where it joins the platform, drilled and tapped it for a 6-32 screw, and screwed and epoxied it to the platform. A little work with the Dremel tool and a bit of test-fitting made it work just fine. You can see the tapered section of the screw where the latch was ground down at the correct angle to work.

IMO this is how GM shoulda done it it the first place. This one is NOT gonna break . . . .
nice job. when i break mine ill take you up on your offer
Old 02-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be an old thread to some but it still applies. We didn't even own a Corvette when this thread was started but we, like a lot of others, are learning from it. Be careful if you are removing the lid. The plastic around the hinge screws is pretty poor stuff and can be messed up pretty easily. Nice repair by the way.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Well done!!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:03 AM
CSIXVET
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default You are not the only one . . .

Broke my console latch while installing a new padded leather cover. After calling around for a price on a replacement (BTW, Jim Ellis Chevrolet in Atlanta wants more than $50 - in advance - special order) then I started thinking about how to repair my broken latch.
Finally, I thought do I really need the latch. So I put my newly covered console cover back on the car . . . and it is fine! The hinge has a decently strong spring which holds it tightly closed (latch is not really necessary).

Had a cold one and admired my new cover, Monterey red in a tan interior.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:56 PM
mbsigman
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Tedford
It might be an old thread to some but it still applies. We didn't even own a Corvette when this thread was started but we, like a lot of others, are learning from it.

Agreed. I've been on this forum for over six years and have done numerous searches; when people pull up old threads such as this it is exceptionally beneficial to those either did not see the original thread or are new to the Corvette world.

Although the multiple dupe threads (the whole sinkhole thing comes to mind) are a waste of bandwidth I find re-publicizing threads like this help a lot.

For the OP: nice job on the repair. My lid has developed this thing of not latching unless I push down on the latch itself, so this thread is very appropriate for me.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:42 PM
WMays
Cruising

Default Center Console Latch

I will drop a piece of aluminum in an envelope to anyone who wants it; just PM me. No charge, my pleasure (and my stamp).

Up to you to file, drill, tap, find a 6-32 screw, install, tweak, etc. etc. etc.
Is the offer still open? I'd like to take you up on that....email me at wlca_mays@msn.com and I'll send the street address.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:05 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Nice job. Mine's broken too but I saw no need for there to be a latch since it closes nicely and stays closed w/o a latch.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:10 AM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default No more aluminum

I have long since misplaced the aluminum extrusion that supplied the raw material. So I have to withdraw the offer to send a piece to those who are interested. But I am happy to see that this old thread is still useful to the C6 crowd.

- Lee
Old 03-29-2016, 06:34 PM
Theresa's Husband
2nd Gear

So, am I the ONLY one to have broken the dinky little plastic latch off of my center console lid ? ? ?

Yes, the lid will stay down nicely with the assistance of gravity, but I have an '06 model with a LOCKING console lid, so having the latch is kind of nice.

Gluing the broken plastic one back on didn't work (and I didn't expect it to), so I replaced it with aluminum and steel.

I filed a new 6061-T6 aluminum latch to shape, twice as thick where it joins the platform, drilled and tapped it for a 6-32 screw, and screwed and epoxied it to the platform. A little work with the Dremel tool and a bit of test-fitting made it work just fine. You can see the tapered section of the screw where the latch was ground down at the correct angle to work.

IMO this is how GM shoulda done it it the first place. This one is NOT gonna break . . . .
Oh, brother. I would LOVE to have that little piece of aluminum you use for a console latch. Where can I pick one up? I have a drill and a dremel and a broken plastic $46 latch.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:40 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

So, am I the ONLY one to have broken the dinky little plastic latch off of my center console lid ? ? ? ...
Nope, mine was broken when I purchased the car a few weeks ago. It's getting replaced under warranty today.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:46 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Theresa's Husband
Oh, brother. I would LOVE to have that little piece of aluminum you use for a console latch. Where can I pick one up? I have a drill and a dremel and a broken plastic $46 latch.
you can buy short lengths of small aluminum or steel angle stock at Home Depot and Lowes. Check in the hardware aisle. They both have a rack of light metal shapes. Usually a couple of feet long.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:12 AM
Theresa's Husband
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
you can buy short lengths of small aluminum or steel angle stock at Home Depot and Lowes. Check in the hardware aisle. They both have a rack of light metal shapes. Usually a couple of feet long.
I'm wondering if I can cut down a thin piece of steel shim to the exact size of the vertical part of the latch and glue it to the back for support? Ever try that? The small part at the bottom of the latch is still hanging on by a thread on mine.

Last edited by Theresa's Husband; 03-30-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:04 PM
Rick Schimpf
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The spring that pushes the latch button on my 94 broke. I couldn't find a spring around to fit. So, I used some sponge rubber to replace the spring. I used the sponge rubber used to insulate pipes. Cut a small piece and pushed it up behind the button where the spring once was located. The result is a nice tight fit and a working latch. If and when the rubber wears out, it is a quick and easy replacement repair.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:45 AM
EJ2013GS
2nd Gear

I realize this post was from 2008, and the picture has been removed. Do you or anyone have the aluminum construction image that I could look at?

Thanks in Advance!

Get notified of new replies

To Console latch repair . . .

Old 03-05-2018, 12:19 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ2013GS
I realize this post was from 2008, and the picture has been removed. Do you or anyone have the aluminum construction image that I could look at?

Thanks in Advance!
You may find these threads helpful if nobody has the picture you're looking for. They contain the dimensions of the latch and a 3d model representation.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lid-latch.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-update.html
Old 03-05-2018, 01:04 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Mine broke and like you I depend on gravity. Nice fix

Clif
Old 03-07-2018, 08:57 AM
Pegaso
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you so much for your help and the pic's you provided. Members like you are what makes this forum so valuable. Best regards

Last edited by Pegaso; 03-07-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Console latch repair . . .