C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:23 PM
CaptainCrunch
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Clear Bra Question?

Hello all,
I am looking to close a deal on an 05 Lemans Blue C6 coupe, fully loaded with low miles. This will be my second vette (other was an 01 coupe), and I had one question first that may be a deal breaker. The car has a clear plastic lining installed on the entire front to halfway up the hood, and also on the fronts of the rear view mirrors - I believe this is called a clear plastic bra?

Anyhow, it is yellowing and looks terrible in my opinion (no offense to anyone who has one), and I was wondering if it can be removed without any ill effects? I don't want to buy the car tomorrow, have the plastic removed, and find that the front half of my hood is a different color than the rest because the paint faded unevenly or something.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Tommy
Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is yellowing it needs to go. For that model year yellowing on the tape is not a good sign IMO - it was not taken care of. I would have the dealer take the tape off. If it was installed improperly, the glue from the tape can stick to the clear coat and it will be a pain to clean and remove. You get it home with the tape on it, you may find yourself with a lot of work ahead of you - removing the tape, cleaning the glue, the tape may not come off in large pieces, the car would need to be polished and detailed.....let the dealer do it. Good luck
Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the yellowing could be due to wax buildup in the material. Its tough to tell though. There are some cheap films out on the market that yellow quickly. I have been installing ClearMask for a few years and have never had that problem. I recommend you having the dealer take it off before buying it and they should detail it as well. That way you get to see the paint before you remove it. There is a possibility that they put the kit on before the paint cured... so you wouldn’t want it to peel the clear coat when you do take it off. So have them do it and detail it first.

If you decide to get another one installed, let me know. I will be in Colorado next month doing some installation work and can schedule you in. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Thom Pettigrew
HTP AutoWorks
Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or it could be made from INFERIOR materials !!!

Many people sell these things undeer all kinds of pretext on E-bay.

I have several friend who would not spend the money for 3M and the like and purchased from an e-bay seller for $40-50 (not for vettes). And installed the "kit" themselves....

Also all had yellowing problems, adhesive problems or poor fit.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:37 PM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clear bra- removal

The clear bra can easily be removed. Heat up a corner a bit with a hair dryer, and slowly peel it back. You may need to heat a little bit with the hair dryer, but it should release just fine. I pulled one off a customer's car that had been there for about 6 years (was about to trade the car in) with no problem. Paint is like brand new underneath. Worst case- may have some little areas where there might be a little of the adhesive left behind. I use use a wax and grease remover
- a little bit on a clean 100% cotton old towel works great. Then wash the area, and wax and will look fabulous.

Remember-- the clear bra was installed to protect the paint-- beats the heck out of stone chips (with the new water based paints that cars get in recent years are very very soft and susceptable to chipping). Many find the clear bra to be an acceptable means of protecting the car without taking much away from the aesthetics.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:36 PM
FireLikeIYA
Instructor

Absolutely have the dealer remove it before you buy. I have heard issues with buildup of wax at the edges of the clearbra. There is a possibility of the wax (or other deposits) trapping in cleaning agents that may etch the cars finish. This will leave a line on the outer edges where the clear bra was installed and may be impossible to get rid of. If the clear bra is yellow then it sounds like the previous owner didn't know how to take care of it. The material is very porous and using carnuba based wax will do this to a clear bra. You need to use synthetic wax only. Also, if the clearbra is on the headlights then the warranty may have been voided on them if the dealer took note. GM claims that the clearbra material traps in heat (as much as 50f) and causes the lexan to yellow and crack with consistant use of the HID lamps.

The stuff is great though. I have it all over my vette and my wifes car has the entire hood and front fenders covered in the stuff (no lines)

Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, like i said there are some cheap films out there. The EBay stuff is garbage... and I highly recommend avoiding that stuff. I have heard of some pretty bad stories from people who have bought that garbage and tried to put it on themselves. it gives the paint protection film industry a bad rep...

Remember, cheaper is never better. Unless a good installer is feeling charitable...
Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I agree with everyone; have the dealer remove it so you can see the paint. If it is not to your liking find another C6. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Not Paid 4
Instructor

Location: You must be young and stupid before you become old and wise... Canton Georgia

have the dealer remove it and find a quality installer, it makes a huge diffrence. My picture was taken after my install. A word of advice, have the whole hood covered by the new installer and enjoy!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:07 AM
NB68
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I noticed while researching that 3M "clear bra" product only has a 5 yr warranty. Not sure it that means it could yellow after that or what.
If you're going to replace it, it seems most of the other posts I've read on this site recommend the newer Venture Shield product ( also now a 3M owned product apparently ), which has a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 AM
alcgomez
Instructor

I also had the 3M installed at the dealer and had it removed after a yr Callaway had it reinstalled and looks great, and they back it up for life ... it's a must have on blk road chips look real bad ... and that cost even more to repaint a hood .
Old 05-28-2008, 01:03 PM
CaptainCrunch
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks to all who replied - my plan wouldn't be to replace it, but rather to remove it and restore the car back to normal....I was just concerned that the paint may have faded unevenly underneath the bra and that it would be hard to make the car look as if it never had one
Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
FireLikeIYA
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Thanks to all who replied - my plan wouldn't be to replace it, but rather to remove it and restore the car back to normal....I was just concerned that the paint may have faded unevenly underneath the bra and that it would be hard to make the car look as if it never had one
Yeah, just look to see if there is a wax build up along the edges... That may cause problems from what I have read. Your paint should be resiliant to fading so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may need to get the car buffed to restore an eveness in the shine as the area covered by the clear bra has been protected from abrasions while the rest of the car has not. I think this would be more apparant with a darker color.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 229 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Not Paid 4
have the dealer remove it and find a quality installer, it makes a huge diffrence. My picture was taken after my install. A word of advice, have the whole hood covered by the new installer and enjoy!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Bra Question?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Question?