C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about LS3 stock 1/4 times

Old 05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Bowhunter2001
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about LS3 stock 1/4 times

I noticed that one LS3 "showroom stock" ran a 11.73 and all of the other LS3's are almost a half of a second slower and more. I understand that the LS2 has 30 to 36 less hp and it is very close to the LS3 in times, but it theory, it should be slower. I know the LS3 hasn't been out as long either. The reason that I mention this, is, you see how small of a difference the 30 to 36 hp is making in the times. How can the same HP vehicle be a half second faster? I raced Kawasaki motorcycles with Vance & Hines for years, with my best at 8.80 seconds @ 160 mph. In my day, if someone with the same "stock bike" ran a half of a second faster than us, we would know better. I obviously know about Density Altitude. I raced from the midwest to California and my times never even came close to a half of a second difference. I know that one driver can be a half second quicker than another, but one driver is a half second better than all the other drivers. I am sure some of the slower times registered have good drivers also. Even on the most perfect night (DA) we weren't close to a half second faster. I ran on good tracks and bad, with head winds and tail winds, never close to a half second faster. What am I missing here? To make a bike a half second quicker we had to spend some $$$! I may be wrong and apologize if so, but a half a second is a bunch of time. Can you alter your C6 and still be "showroom stock?" Showroom stock was "the exact way it came from the dealer with no modifications." If you have drag raced for any amount of time, you know how much a half second is. It is a bunch in my book. Again, please educate me on how this big difference is possible.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:51 PM
GeistC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-20-2008, 03:57 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

My car trapped almost as high as the guy that ran 11.7 (119.xx) so I think its feasible. I do have a bullet exhaust on my car but i doubt it gives me any more power then a car with npp. This was right after it rained here in fl so conditions werent exactly ideal either
Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM
From C6ZO62C8
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 05-20-2008, 04:45 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

If you study the list, you'll see I'm on there in a few different places - in two different LS2 cars, and one LS3. I can speak for myself and tell you that the difference was all in the 60' time. I'm sure that had I been able to duplicate my 60' time from my first LS2 to my LS3 that I would have run about 3/10s faster - which is what I would have expected.

No doubt, there are some odd discrepancies in "the list". They are well documented in some threads if you care to do a search. But be forewarned - it some pretty ugly reading!
Old 05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Deserved or not.....the 11.73 was met with a lot of scrutiny.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redzone

While anything is possible, I wouldn't put good money on that being pure "stock".

But, I've been wrong before, and no doubt will be again!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

"stock" is a highly debatable topic.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes it was. yes it was. It met with a lot of scrutiny, deserved or not. And I can tell you beyond any shadow of a doubt that had a time that far out of whack with other Z06 times had been submitted for inclusion on The C6 Z06 Fast List it would never have made it for inclusion.

I think a lot of people wanted to see an 11.9 out of the LS3, and this is why it has not come under even further scrutiny.

And before anyone points to Jamie Furman's 10.98, do know that it is but a mere 0.15 seconds quicker than Ranger's 11.13 both having been run on the same track but on different days.

It was known that days earlier, the car had made previous other runs using a non stock tune, and was supposedly reflashed back to stock for that record time.

It was known, that the driver had been experimenting using E85 tunes in a previous car, a GTO, in an attempt to make more power using different combinations and mixing ratios of E85 and non ethanol containing premium gasoline .

The initial reports of how quickly the car cooled down in between runs was the subject of debate as well.

All I can tell the original poster is if a time that far away from the previous LS7 best comes up for inclusion on The C6 Z06 Fast List, it won't make it.

As it sits, that time is 0.45 seconds quicker than any other LS3 time. Forget about LS2 times.
That would be like someone coming into the Z06 section and posting up a 10.53 or a 10.68 and calling it bone stock. No need to even attempt that.

So I am ing and learning right along with the rest of those ing

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-20-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Bowhunter2001
Burning Brakes

"I can speak for myself and tell you that the difference was all in the 60' time. I'm sure that had I been able to duplicate my 60' time from my first LS2 to my LS3 that I would have run about 3/10s faster - which is what I would have expected."

Are you saying you had a better 60' time with your LS2? 30 or so less horsepower probably made it easier to hook up, thus a better 60' time. When I had my 1260cc motor in my bike my 60' times were better than my 1425cc motor. If I could have launched my bike with the larger motor as good as my 1260 motor, I would have had a better time.
"If."
I just couldn't do it without spinning so I had to leave riding the clutch more. That is what was so tough on my bike. The more HP I had, the harder it was to launch without spinning.

Again, 1/2 a second is a big margin between one stock LS3 car and the rest of the LS3 field.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter2001
"I can speak for myself and tell you that the difference was all in the 60' time. I'm sure that had I been able to duplicate my 60' time from my first LS2 to my LS3 that I would have run about 3/10s faster - which is what I would have expected."

Are you saying you had a better 60' time with your LS2? 30 or so less horsepower probably made it easier to hook up, thus a better 60' time. When I had my 1260cc motor in my bike my 60' times were better than my 1425cc motor. If I could have launched my bike with the larger motor as good as my 1260 motor, I would have had a better time.
"If."
I just couldn't do it without spinning so I had to leave riding the clutch more. That is what was so tough on my bike. The more HP I had, the harder it was to launch without spinning.

Again, 1/2 a second is a big margin between one stock LS3 car and the rest of the LS3 field.
I can pretty well assure you that it was not the extra hp that made it harder to hook. Frankly, you can't put all of a LS2's horsepower to the ground at the launch anyway. If you knew just how little experience I have drag racing you'd understand. But I do have enough experience in racing in general to understand when I'm the problem, not the car. I commented as soon as I got this car that the clutch was harder to modulate than any other clutch I've ever driven (I've had probably 20 cars with manual transmissions - I've been driving sticks for over 40 years).

I agree that 1/2 second is a lot, but then again, I know this forum pretty well - most of the guys who have run 12.4s (like me) are not regular drag racers with a lot of experience.

Looking at it another way, we now have a 430 hp coupe running the same time as 405hp C5 Z06's have run. Doesn't that make it a little more believable?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:34 PM
sranger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Yes it was. yes it was. It met with a lot of scrutiny, deserved or not. And I can tell you beyond any shadow of a doubt that had a time that far out of whack with other Z06 times had been submitted for inclusion on The C6 Z06 Fast List it would never have made it for inclusion.

I think a lot of people wanted to see an 11.9 out of the LS3, and this is why it has not come under even further scrutiny.

And before anyone points to Jamie Furmans 10.98, do know that it is but a mere 0.15 seconds quicker than Rangers 11.13 both having been run on the same track but on different days.

It was known that days earlier, the car had made previous other runs using a non stock tune, and was supposedly reflashed back to stock for that record time.

It was known, that the driver had been experimenting using E85 tunes in a previous car, a GTO, in an attempt to make more power using different combinations and mixing ratios of E85 and non ethanol containing premium gasoline .

The initial reports of how quickly the car cooled down in between runs was the subject of debate as well.

All I can tell the original poster is if a time that far away from the previous LS7 best comes up for inclusion on The C6 Z06 Fast List, it won't make it.

As it sits, that time is 0.45 seconds quicker than any other LS3 time. Forget about LS2 times.
That would be like someone coming into the Z06 section and posting up a 10.53 or a 10.68 and calling it bone stock. No need to even attempt that.

So I am ing and learning right along with the rest of those ing
Well,

I really do not understand why this bothers you so much. I guess it is because the new LS3 is a little closer to the performance of your beloved Z06. You seem to spend more time trying to justify your purchase that any other person on the board. Are you really that insecure about your purchase?

The fact is that it ran into the 11's with little (or no) modifications. I personally think flashing it back to stock is stock. It was done on a good day with low temps and low humidity and a good driver. Could you repeat on an 80 degree day? NO!!! Even if he had a tune in it when he ran into the 11 is still very impressive for the base engine. The fact that it did not require a modified exhaust or CAI speak volumes as to the potential of the LS3.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that alot of people WANT an 11 sec stock C6, some evidence was dismissed and so the time sticks.......and sticks out like a sore thumb. IMO the car is not stock, but whatever, the C6 community now has it's elusive 11 sec run.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:36 PM
danl72
Race Director

No matter how you look at it, those are some great numbers for a stock car.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sranger
Well,

I really do not understand why this bothers you so much. I guess it is because the new LS3 is a little closer to the performance of your beloved Z06. You seem to spend more time trying to justify your purchase that any other person on the board. Are you really that insecure about your purchase?

The fact is that it ran into the 11's with little (or no) modifications. I personally think flashing it back to stock is stock. It was done on a good day with low temps and low humidity and a good driver. Could you repeat on an 80 degree day? NO!!! Even if he had a tune in it when he ran into the 11 is still very impressive for the base engine. The fact that it did not require a modified exhaust or CAI speak volumes as to the potential of the LS3.
Everyone knows the LS3 responds very well to mods, this isn't the point. There are alot of people scratching their heads wondering how this 1 car is so much faster then the other stock LS3's. Then you have it that it's been flased, reflashed, etc. Who knows what bin file is being used at this point, who knows what kinda gas he was using (Torco additive anyone) just leads to a lot of credibility problems and enough IMO to disqualify it as a "stock" car.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Bowhunter2001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jschindler
I can pretty well assure you that it was not the extra hp that made it harder to hook. Frankly, you can't put all of a LS2's horsepower to the ground at the launch anyway. If you knew just how little experience I have drag racing you'd understand. But I do have enough experience in racing in general to understand when I'm the problem, not the car. I commented as soon as I got this car that the clutch was harder to modulate than any other clutch I've ever driven (I've had probably 20 cars with manual transmissions - I've been driving sticks for over 40 years).

I agree that 1/2 second is a lot, but then again, I know this forum pretty well - most of the guys who have run 12.4s (like me) are not regular drag racers with a lot of experience.

Looking at it another way, we now have a 430 hp coupe running the same time as 405hp C5 Z06's have run. Doesn't that make it a little more believable?

I drag raced for many years and for quite a while I had the quickest and fastest street bike in the country. I don't know about a car, but in a bike, it is much harder to launch with more HP. The more the HP the easier it was to spin the tire. I knew that if I had just 2 tenths on my competition, it was Big advantage. I knew I could leave easier (not to red light) and still finish first. A 1/2 second is eternity in drag racing.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about LS3 stock 1/4 times

Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sranger
Well,

I knew this type of post was coming and its sort of why I had reservations about posting in this thread. But went ahead anyway. And let me tell you, it doesn't "bother" me at all. And I'll tell you why.

The fact that nothing even close to this time, has shown up from any other LS3 is what is making it raise eyebrows, and be cause for scrutiny. Just as it did when it first came up. And so much so that the original poster started this thread.

Now if several other bone stock LS3 based C6s, all of a sudden start throwing up 11.7s, then maybe it might. But just one, ......which is known to have been tuned, and has previously been questioned, and is currently being questioned, ...and in all probability, always will be questioned.... no, sorry to bust your bubble, it doesn't bother me. It also does not seem to concern many LS2 owners either.

But if that is your opinion, consider that most of the scrutiny came from, and continues to come from, other LS3 owners and LS2 owners.

I remember the original thread. 440 posts, and it had to be locked down 3 times.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1982088

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-20-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Everyone knows the LS3 responds very well to mods, this isn't the point. There are alot of people scratching their heads wondering how this 1 car is so much faster then the other stock LS3's.
I know exactly why his LS3 ran so much quicker than other LS3s, it's because he's in New Jersey! You guys tend to forget how much of a difference racing in cold weather at sea level truly makes. Combine that with the fact that he launched the car perfectly and knows how to shift, and it's a deadly combination that results in awesome dragstrip results.

I for one do not doubt that a well driven LS3 can run 11.7s in completely bone stock trim, given ideal weather conditions at a sea level track. But out of all the LS3 times posted, I believe this is the only one that was posted under picture perfect weather at sea level. Everything else is from less than ideal conditions at higher altitudes.

Mark my words, one year from now, once there are a lot more LS3s out there running down the track, we'll see quite a few more running in the 11.7 to 11.9 range bone stock.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Bowhunter2001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
The fact that nothing even close to this time has shown up from any other LS3 is what is making it raise eyebrows, and be cause for scrutiny, just as it did when it first came up. So much so that the original poster started this thread. So no, it doesn't bother me at all.

Now if other bone stock LS3 based C6s all of a sudden start throwing up 11.7s, then maybe it might.
I agree. If there were several 11.70 & 11.80's run by people, I wouldn't even question it. Now that I see from several posts that this car's computer was changed and then changed back, among other things apparently done, I am starting to see the picture. It is a great time, but a stock car is a stock car. To me it means untouched.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about LS3 stock 1/4 times