C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM
speedy_steve
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad gas?

I was out in the vette ('08 with <2300 miles) on Friday and the car began acting sluggish and idling erratically. It almost stalled several times and I had to keep revving the engine to keep it above 400 rpm. Underway, the car responded very weakly to throttle input almost as though I was giving it no gas at all. It was running fine on Tuesday before I washed it and exhibited a hesitation or two on Wednesday but nothing like it did on Friday ( I did not drive it Thursday). The only thing I can figure is that either I a) filled up with some bad gas (previous Sunday when about half full) or b) I somehow got water in the tank when washing it that just made it's way to the engine on Friday. Anyone have any input on this? Does my diagnosis sound correct? If so, what should I do - just burn this tank off and refill?

Thanks for your help!

Steve
Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

I would think bad gas would has caused you a problem sooner and I doubt you got water in the system by just washing the car, I assume you did not attempt to wash down the engine bay. You can always call ONSTAR and have them run an engine diagnostic for you. If it were me, I would take it in and let the dealer sort it out. They have the equipment to properly pinpoint the problem and fix it. Of course depending on your dealer that is quite an assumption also, sorry I could not be of more help, good luck.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:57 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It could be bad gas. I have seen this happen to someone else before and when they went and got more gas the problem was solved.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:29 PM
speedy_steve
Advanced

Thanks for your responses. The one thing I forgot to mention is that no CEL has appeared. If I was registering an actual error code wouldn't the CEL come on?

Steve
Old 05-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Jacksonbart
Racer

Beano
Old 05-11-2008, 09:13 PM
NIGHTSTALKER
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a vacumme leak
Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 PM
speedy_steve
Advanced

Update:

My car is now in the shop for the second day and still won't be ready until tomorrow. This is killing me! The issue was indeed bad gas and of course is not covered under warranty. The dealer drained all the gas and is now looking to see if I need a new catalytic converter as a result of running less than 175miles since the fill with the bad gas. I'm happy that this was nothing serious but what a PITA!! No more visits to Exxon for me...

Steve
Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, Exxon has bad gas I guess I am glad I use Chevron.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Exxon. I have never had a problem with their gas (except price) I'm just across the border in DE...thanks for the update
Old 05-14-2008, 06:39 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like most problems, people associate them with the largest most visible name, instead of the real party at fault.....the gas station in this instance.

I would save all bills related to this repair and attempt to have the dealers service people describe the gas as the culprit. Then return to the station and ask their management what they intend to do about it.
If you get no response, sue in small claims court, if your state has that capability. It usually costs a trivial amount to file...something like $15-20.

I've done this several times with stupid irresponsible people (a GM Dealer included......I can't help it. I'm a "jerk" at times and believe in the US America system). Most of the time it's settled before court.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I use Exxon in all my cars with never a problem.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:50 PM
speedy_steve
Advanced

Originally Posted by RnLi
Like most problems, people associate them with the largest most visible name, instead of the real party at fault.....the gas station in this instance.

I would save all bills related to this repair and attempt to have the dealers service people describe the gas as the culprit. Then return to the station and ask their management what they intend to do about it.
If you get no response, sue in small claims court, if your state has that capability. It usually costs a trivial amount to file...something like $15-20.

I've done this several times with stupid irresponsible people (a GM Dealer included......I can't help it. I'm a "jerk" at times and believe in the US America system). Most of the time it's settled before court.
This is a great point - it's not Exxon proper, just the station where I filled up. I have used this station hundreds of time in the past with no issues but I won't risk my $60k car by going back.

I will approach the manager and see what he'll do but my guess is that I'll get laughed out of the place. I doubt I will follow up with legal action... just not my style.

Steve
Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

If indeed the problem is bad gas, I would return to the dealer and demand they pay for your repairs. If they say no, like another poster said, I would take em to small claims court. Also, I think it is important to stay with a local dealer where you can count on a good supply of PREMIUM fuel. With high prices some guys, I know, are tempted to look for the lowest price. And, that I believe invites problems. When traveling, I would use truck stops. They pump lots of fuel BOTH diesel and gas. Good luck...
Old 05-14-2008, 07:55 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

Its not usually the gas that's bad, it's generally water in the station's tanks from condensation - not a gasoline brand problem, but a station or tanker problem.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by speedy_steve
Update:

My car is now in the shop for the second day and still won't be ready until tomorrow. This is killing me! The issue was indeed bad gas and of course is not covered under warranty. The dealer drained all the gas and is now looking to see if I need a new catalytic converter as a result of running less than 175miles since the fill with the bad gas. I'm happy that this was nothing serious but what a PITA!! No more visits to Exxon for me...

Steve
First, it's taking a second day!!!! Why? Is this at Sport Chev? Either they weren't working on it or something else.

Second and last, every gas station has a small fund for such occurrences where cars are/suffer minor damage from bad gas. They drain water regularly but it still seeps into the underground storage tanks.

Some station owners don't like to part with their money (even at $4/gallon????), but many will when you clearly tell them what happened, when, etc. Keep that receipt FOR GAS especially. All the other stuff they may not require if it's reasonable, even up to and including cost of a tow.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 PM
speedy_steve
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
First, it's taking a second day!!!! Why? Is this at Sport Chev? Either they weren't working on it or something else.

Second and last, every gas station has a small fund for such occurrences where cars are/suffer minor damage from bad gas. They drain water regularly but it still seeps into the underground storage tanks.

Some station owners don't like to part with their money (even at $4/gallon????), but many will when you clearly tell them what happened, when, etc. Keep that receipt FOR GAS especially. All the other stuff they may not require if it's reasonable, even up to and including cost of a tow.
Thanks, AORoads.

Yes, my car is at Sport. I took it in yesterday afternoon and at 4:30 (after about 1.5 hours of working with it) they decided it was bad gas and wanted to drain the tank. I agreed but they said they couldn't do anything until the engine cooled. Apparently the misfires were causing things to run hotter than normal. I called back today at 3:30 and they told me definitely bad gas but needed to wait until things cooled back down in case I needed a new catalytic converter (they will cover this under warranty). I have faith in the boys at Sport and I'm sure they're just looking out for me. This is my 3rd high-end vehicle I've bought from them and have no worry that they're doing what needs to be done. It just sucks that I haven't been able to enjoy my car since last Friday.

Steve
Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go back and get a sample of gas. There is a simple alcohol test to separate water/gasoline. Google the procedure. Boaters use this procedure a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad gas?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 PM
speedy_steve
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bobz08C6
Go back and get a sample of gas. There is a simple alcohol test to separate water/gasoline. Google the procedure. Boaters use this procedure a lot.
Good idea but I filled up 1.5 weeks ago... do you think the issue is still there?

Steve
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Steve, you're right. Sport's got supposedly one of the best Corv. techs in the area. I'd trust them, too. I was just surprised they didn't have it in and out in a day. Then again, if they're going to cover the cat, that's not only a good thing, but I bet they had to give that one a thought or two.

Man, one bad tank of gas and it causes all this! Tell us how it feels when you get it back and what else, if anything they did. Luck be with you.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 PM
speedy_steve
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
Steve, you're right. Sport's got supposedly one of the best Corv. techs in the area. I'd trust them, too. I was just surprised they didn't have it in and out in a day. Then again, if they're going to cover the cat, that's not only a good thing, but I bet they had to give that one a thought or two.

Man, one bad tank of gas and it causes all this! Tell us how it feels when you get it back and what else, if anything they did. Luck be with you.
Will do, AO. Hope to post an update tomorrow afternoon.

Steve

Quick Reply: Bad gas?