C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 4 post lift thread...those that bought or researched...enter

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Another 4 post lift thread...those that bought or researched...enter

Which make/ model is narrowest and or shortest in length?

If you are not happy with the quality of your lift, please indicate so.

Must have wheels optional.

any suggestions for basic 4 post lift appreciated

I have 10 ft clearence
Old 05-04-2008, 03:43 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I've done a lot of research but have yet to buy one! I've found out that the Backyard Buddy IS the best 4 post out. Made in USA
Old 05-04-2008, 04:06 PM
akeyzoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Danmar 4 post and a BendPak 4 post in my garage. For the money the danmar cannot be beat. The bendpak is nice, but not enough to make me choose the bendpak again.

Chris.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:29 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Check out Stinger lifts. They are in use by the Corvette Museum (they have two) for the PDI shop. NCM members can purchase the Stinger lifts from the Museum.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:47 PM
HERK
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akeyzoo
I have the Danmar 4 post and a BendPak 4 post in my garage. For the money the danmar cannot be beat. The bendpak is nice, but not enough to make me choose the bendpak again.

Chris.

www.dannmar.com
Old 05-04-2008, 05:11 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone familiar with the direct lift pro-park series?? i'm really leaning towards the pro-park 9.. big enought for the vette and the crew-cab diesel pickup.... any thoughts on this?? jim
Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
0Atomic Autosports
Former Vendor

I have a prokar 4 post lift and use it almost everyday...not made in the USA but I paid $1,800 delivered and another $700 for the jack front & rear. Works great and always goes up & down when I ask it.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
ctgene
Banned Scam/Spammer

I have the pro-park 8 and have had no problems with it at all...highly recommend them...
Old 05-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Chipps
Instructor

I have the 7000 lb Direct Lift. It works well. I have had no problems with it. It comes with wheels that can be attached.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Greg G
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a Propark from Greg Smith. I am satisfied with the lift. Can't beat the price $1650 and $120 delivery. Here is a picture of the lift.

http://www.keystonestatecorvetteclub...7_1280x960.JPG

I also have some pictures of the installation of the high lift door, lift and jackshaft opener.

http://www.keystonestatecorvetteclub...rking_Lift.htm
Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 PM
statman
Racer

NoCA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Greg G
I have a Propark from Greg Smith. I am satisfied with the lift. Can't beat the price $1650 and $120 delivery. Here is a picture of the lift.

I also have some pictures of the installation of the high lift door, lift and jackshaft opener.

Thanks for those links, Greg. Very thorough explanation. How high is your garage ceiling from the garage floor?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:50 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I've done a lot of research but have yet to buy one! I've found out that the Backyard Buddy IS the best 4 post out. Made in USA
I might have one in my near future.... the backyard buddy is a bit more money, but seems to be worth the extra cost
Old 05-04-2008, 08:54 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I did the research. Bought a Rotary. The others seemed like toys compared to it IMHO (including the BYB).
Old 05-04-2008, 09:30 PM
mello78
Cruising

I have Direct Lift 8 from Greg Smith after exhaustive search and comparision. Hard to beat the value. I was all set to get teh Bend Pak until I went to Greg Smith's and studied teh details. DL appears have made several improvements in the past several months in design details (maybe it was since the parent company of Rotary bought them. DL 9 was way too big. DL 8 handles my 78 and 07 very well. My brother even bought the same one for his garage. After I raised the garage door and installed a jack shaft opener, my 9 ft -4 inch ceiling will allow me to park my vettes one over the other with a little room to spare, but not much. Working under it is more difiicult. Can't stand under car easily, but a mechanics roll around stool fixed that. I also got the scissors jack that fits across the runners and it's a great addition. IMO, when you compare the details and what you get with the package, it is a good choice. I'd make the same choice again.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Surprise, surprise you have about seven different people saying about seven different lifts are the absolute best.......surprise, surprise. I love my lifts, not saying their the best, but they work and I didn't overpay "for the name"
Old 05-04-2008, 09:43 PM
dbooth
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's my Revolution lift, made by Rotary. I purchased the longer and taller unit so I can put my diesel pickup on it as well.

I researched over a year and came down to this and Backyard Buddy. I would buy either if I had it to do over.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
Surprise, surprise you have about seven different people saying about seven different lifts are the absolute best.......surprise, surprise. I love my lifts, not saying their the best, but they work and I didn't overpay "for the name"
I assume you're talking about the BYB? I don't own it but by hands on comparison the BYB is def. the best IF price is no object!

Get notified of new replies

To Another 4 post lift thread...those that bought or researched...enter

Old 05-04-2008, 10:44 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Observations:

The 7,000 lb to 9,000 lb 4 post lifts I have seen including Bend Pak, Challenger, Direct Lift, etc. are of similar design. The corner posts are C shaped if you look at a horizontal cross section, the hydraulic ram is under one of the runways, the runways are 4" thick, the approach ramps are short, they all use steel cable with swaged end blocks and they all have the electric over hydraulic pump on one post.

The crossmembers that hold the runways are basically channel with ears shaped at the ends to hold the cable pulleys and air locks. The locking mechanism is a machined plate with slots welded to an adjustment bolt that hangs down in side the corner posts.

Some are tested and receive an AFI or EFI certification. Others are not.

My Conclusions:

Please feel free to draw your own conclusions but I thought I'd state the conclusions I drew and why I purchased the lift I did for my shop.

I purchased a lift not for additional parking, but for servicing all of my vehicles, my wife's vehicle, my parents vehicles, my sister's truck, etc. If your family lives close then you know what I mean. My daily driver is a 3/4 ton 9000 lb GVWR diesel, and at some point I may get a larger truck. Most of my family owns heavy trucks.

If you get a chance to look at the 12,000 lb rated lifts you immediately see that the runways and crossmembers are 7" thick instead of 4".

I often work by myself and wanted to feel very safe under any car I would likely put on the lift.

I decided that I wanted a lift that had been AFI/EFI certified.

I wanted to buy from a company that had been around a few years, had lifts in local shops, had a distributor in my state, and would likely be around a few years in case I needed parts.

I wanted to run bridge style air over hydraulic jacks between the runways so the 7" allows for the jacks to completely hide below the top surface of the runway guides.

The runways on my lift are 17' long so I can fit a 1 ton crew cab dually longbed with no issues.

Just my thoughts,

Ryan
Old 05-04-2008, 10:50 PM
dtwalkerfl
Instructor

I have had the Backyard Buddy for about 5 years and love it. Seems to be the strongest out there and easiest to move around with huge wheels.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:09 PM
yell01
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by ctgene
I have the pro-park 8 and have had no problems with it at all...highly recommend them...
Originally Posted by Chipps
I have the 7000 lb Direct Lift. It works well. I have had no problems with it. It comes with wheels that can be attached.
Originally Posted by Greg G

I bought the same lift from a local company in Schaumburg. RHI Lifts. http://www.rhilifts.com/products/parking/four_post.php They did the install and raised my garage door as well. I looked at all the others and they're pretty much the same. BYB uses scare tactics which I didn't like. The Direct Lift/Pro Park is the same lift I have, manufactured by one company and marketed by many as theirs. The failures they talk about are operator error and not lift failure. My ceiling is 10' too and I have more than enough room for my Vette and 69 Camaro. Take the total height of the two cars plus 8" and that'll tell you if you have enough height. RHI has a showroom but you can't see it operate. If you want to see it in action let me know and I'd be more than happy to have you over to my house to check it out. I could check out your exhaust too.

Quick Reply: Another 4 post lift thread...those that bought or researched...enter