C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Dealer Latch Bulletin (roof popping noise)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM
pgeho
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Notice of some sort?

Is there a GM notice or recall or whatever notice for the handle swap out that can be referenced when going to a dealer? and is this a no charge change? I refuse to go back to my original dealer and am wondering how to reference it to a service manager.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:08 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetehead
The latches that Chris Audi was installing on cars at the bash were latches that had the rig done to them by the factory Roof engineer(Chris).The new latches are due to dealers sometime in June.

Ron
gotcha, guess we'll all wait then
Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM
108C6
Racer

Originally Posted by pgeho
Is there a GM notice or recall or whatever notice for the handle swap out that can be referenced when going to a dealer? and is this a no charge change? I refuse to go back to my original dealer and am wondering how to reference it to a service manager.
there is no handle replacement out yet only a repair that works take this number to your dealer pic4867 for the repair no charge if you are still under your 3/36 warr.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:32 PM
slojoh
Instructor

Originally Posted by slojoh
I dont know if this will help you all but I took mine down for the g.m. fix for this problem. it says they modified the latches per " pic4867 " No more popping noises.
need to make correction here, It is still popping after the gm fix. Not as bad, but still does it.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:49 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 05-23-2008, 12:29 AM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

need to make correction here, It is still popping after the gm fix. Not as bad, but still does it.
same here, i'm waiting on new latches
Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the GM fix Thursday at Paramus chevy in Jersey. It's not popping yet! Lets see how long it lasts!!
Old 05-25-2008, 12:36 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by ltorsello
Got the GM fix Thursday at Paramus chevy in Jersey. It's not popping yet! Lets see how long it lasts!!
Look on your receipt and let us know the part numbers they installed please.

Also please get the service bulletin number and any other information you can get from your dealer please, it would be sincerely appreciated by all of us.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2008, 12:51 AM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackfd
i'm waiting on new latches
my roof started popping three days ago. i wasn't going to go gm, let them replace a darn thing, or have to wait for parts and live with the popping. i got the e-clips at lowes and it was fixed five minutes later for $1.27.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HorsePowerJunkie
Look on your receipt and let us know the part numbers they installed please.

Also please get the service bulletin number and any other information you can get from your dealer please, it would be sincerely appreciated by all of us.

Thanks
Its was their cheesey elec terminal under the roller and then epoxy fix. And as of this morning its back!!! This really sucks for a $60,000 car!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:41 PM
dmawd
Racer

Seriously, I would not even mess with the dealer fix. The E-clip fix posted here awhile back is the way to go. Thanks again to the OP One of the best "fix it" posts in a long time on the forum. I got mine at Lowes for 1.19 and it took literaly 5 minutes to install. Been running almost a couple months since the install and not a peep hot weather, cool weather etc and I have been driving over some pretty rough roads.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Someone listed these parts numbers for the new latchs 15235973 & 15235974 GMPARTSHOUSE says they were superceeded by 19120476 & 19120477. I saw those on a post from last year. Does anyone have the real numbers?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:31 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltorsello
Its was their cheesey elec terminal under the roller and then epoxy fix. And as of this morning its back!!! This really sucks for a $60,000 car!
I have had lots of problems with my $60k piece of junk. I'm still trying to get problems fixed for almost 28 months, yes, 2 years four months. I have a bearing or gear droning or whine in the rear that they have been blaming on tires even when you are going ten mph or so. GM = DELAY, DELAY, DELAY.

I'm alittle excited about a possible fix for my C6, I just talked to a new service manager at a local dealer and I vaguely mentioned my rear end problem and he briefly described the sounds I would hear, he took the the sounds right out of my mouth. He said to bring in Wed morning. He mentioned that he had been involved in two similar cases and one was a 2007. Well anyways, things are looking up at the moment and I can't wait until Wed morning. Maybe my piece of "junk" will turn into a treasuer. I vaguely discussed some of my previous problems and he sounds like a jewel of a mechanical understanding that results that could be life threatening. At this point, he sound like a jewel. I will keep you posted on the results. Update: The rear tires were replaced and the varing hum disappreaded but other new noises showed up that were being masked by the tires. Bearing and ring gear noise is more evident now but going to have to listen to other cars and make comparsion. Now I can hear the "on and off" throtle play in the ring and pinion gears and some bearing whine.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 06-07-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:22 AM
rayainsw
Racer

Default E-clip fix...

Originally Posted by dmawd
Seriously, I would not even mess with the dealer fix. The E-clip fix posted here awhile back is the way to go. Thanks again to the OP One of the best "fix it" posts in a long time on the forum. I got mine at Lowes for 1.19 and it took literaly 5 minutes to install. Been running almost a couple months since the install and not a peep hot weather, cool weather etc and I have been driving over some pretty rough roads.
After reading the "official GM fix" information,
I also went the E-clip route.

3 weeks & almost 2,000 miles - no more
noises from my roof...

- Ray
Pleased...
Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was built May 13...and I have worse creaking than my '07 did. It's loud POPS.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:56 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 08 starting popping at 1,300 miles. I think it was to do with the outside temp, 95-100 degree weather. I don't know what the build date is, but the rollers look to be just plain round rollers.

If you put your finger on the rollers while you drive, you can feel the popping. You can also feel the flexing between the roof and the top of the windshield, which is probably causing the rollers to move around.

I'm going to do the e-clip fix today.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6DuffMan
My 08 starting popping at 1,300 miles. I think it was to do with the outside temp, 95-100 degree weather. I don't know what the build date is, but the rollers look to be just plain round rollers.

If you put your finger on the rollers while you drive, you can feel the popping. You can also feel the flexing between the roof and the top of the windshield, which is probably causing the rollers to move around.

I'm going to do the e-clip fix today.
It is definitely coming from the rollers if the e fix works keep a look out for a more permanent fix when the handles make a tsb (should be soon) good luck

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer Latch Bulletin (roof popping noise)

Old 07-06-2008, 12:27 PM
cupcakebc
Instructor

The "permanent fix" is a redesigned latch that was the result of a one year effort by a GM engineer, and has been installed in all cars build after 6/13 08 according to another thread. 09's are STILL having the popping according to peeps on this forum. Sad is it not! My soon to be delivered 09 has the 2 roof option, so maybe I have a 50% chance that one will be OK.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cupcakebc
The "permanent fix" is a redesigned latch that was the result of a one year effort by a GM engineer, and has been installed in all cars build after 6/13 08 according to another thread. 09's are STILL having the popping according to peeps on this forum. Sad is it not! My soon to be delivered 09 has the 2 roof option, so maybe I have a 50% chance that one will be OK.
Lets hope your's isn't one of them,my car was quite with the tsb done to it ,the rig and is still quite with the new handles from the 09's.Good luck with your new ride.PS LS3=FAST AS HELL.ENJOY
Old 07-06-2008, 03:00 PM
lilpuu1
Instructor

I have a 2008, transparent top, 2000 miles and correct mainly when it is hot the roof will pop. But eventually stops.

Quick Reply: Dealer Latch Bulletin (roof popping noise)