C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 battery died after 2 weeks in garage.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Sentlingar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
not necessary in '08.
I was told by the salesman when I bought my '08 to always leave it in reverse when parked to keep from draining the battery. Maybe he does not have the new information on the '08's if this is true but I have not had any battery issues.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Sentlingar
I was told by the salesman when I bought my '08 to always leave it in reverse when parked to keep from draining the battery. Maybe he does not have the new information on the '08's if this is true but I have not had any battery issues.
He was wrong. Seriously.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Sentlingar
Intermediate

He was wrong. Seriously.
Don't doubt you, but what changed from '07 to '08?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cthusker
There seems to be some electronic glitches in some vettes. I say that because I have an 06 that's stored all winter. I keep it on a battery tender but this winter the tender accidentally got unplugged. It was then off the tender for about 7 weeks. When I discovered what happened I was SURE the battery must be stone dead. Well I gave it try and it fired right up! I was pretty surprised considering all the stories on the forum. Now why would mine be any different than any other 06 to 08 vette? Wouldn't you think there are lots of vettes like mine. I have a 3lt option group which I'm sure means absolutely nothing.

One interesting fact is that the car stored is in my detached garage which is about 75 ft from the house. I'd say little chance of the key fobs waking it up I would think? I wonder if somehow the key fobs transmit a lot further than we think?

It's something to consider when you have an attached garage. Is there some way a key fob signal travel further then we think?
Could there be other electronic signals within a home that might keep waking up the car?

I live in the country and the detached garage is away from most every type electronic signal. Perhaps it's something to consider for those OP's that keep having dead batteries in such a short time period?
I don't know; this is interesting tho. I put my fob last nite inside the door of my lower level, went back out and couldn't open the trunk or the door. That's about 15 ft. away. I always take the fob upstairs to the main level, and put it in a kitchen drawer; that's a lot farther away.

Still, yours is a very interesting point and example. Seven weeks, that's a very long time. Mine went dead in the garage within 22 days. Really, really, dead.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 AM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I am a lucky one. There were many times this winter that I was unable to drive due to salt on the roads. Over 5 weeks for sure. Other times it was started and moved to obtain access to overhead shelfs and attic in the garage. I have not had any issues to date. 07 1lt. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. My fobs are in the kitchen drawer as well maybe 20 ft and a wall away from where the car sits. There has to be an explanation. I will try and take some current measurements once my simpson is returned. TLCJ
Old 04-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
I did a search in the TITLES of the C6 section for DBS (37 threads), DEAD BATTERY (86 threads), BATTERY PROBLEM (9 threads). Clearly, this is not an isolated problem.

I bought a used C6, and the battery died almost immediately. I replaced it with a new (fully charged) Optima Red-top, and then I drove around for several hours at highway speeds. I parked it in reverse with everything OFF. One week later the new battery was dead. I charged it up and drove it around for hours. One week later it was again dead. I then exchanged the Red-top for a new Yellow-top (deep cycle). I read many threads on DBS, and have tried many things, but if the battery is not constantly attached to a charger, it will go dead in a week or less.

I'm considering installing a manual battery shutoff switch which should eliminate any battery draw-down. I will then have to access the car through the key/hatchback/pull-handle, because the electric door sensors won't work with the battery OFF. But at least the car will start when I want it to.

I have owned many cars over the last 40 years, and have never encountered this problem in a maintained car. I think Chevrolet just got too enamored with tricky electrical gizmos. It looks good on paper and in the showroom, but the implementation is lacking.

Best of Luck,
I disagree. Generally speaking, a C6 will start after being left idle for a week or two without being on a battery tender. If you have the problem I can understand the frustration but know not all C6's experience this problem...far from it. The so-called DBS affects a significant but small minority of C6's but there is (generally speaking) no need to hook-up a C6 to a battery tender.

I have a 2005 MN6...the one's notorious for DBS. After just over 3 years my car is still cranking fine on the original, factory battery. The car has sat idle for several periods up to 3 weeks in duration. I've never had a problem starting the car.

Why this electronic gremlin affects some cars and not others is a mystery. Again, I sympathize with anyone having this problem but it's the exception...not the rule.

Although placing a manual shift in Reverse when parking is good practice, the necessity to do so was eliminated starting with the 2006 model C6 I believe. This is not "new" information...your salesman is not very well informed.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Chevtech
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rich_r31
Just hooked a DMM up to it, and it draws 4.18A after you push the door pop button and open the door (ready to start, interior lights on).

When locking the door after the lights go out, it draws 2.15A for 20 seconds, then it draws .14A for a few minutes before going below .01A for the remainder of her sleep. (only watched the DMM for 10 minutes)

Doesn't seem to be excessive current draw at sleep.

I dunno maybe she wakes up sucks power intermittently for some strange reason or has an intermittent short.
Normal reading, and 0.014A draw isn't going to kill the battery in 2 weeks. There has been a problem with the outside door release switch sticking and causing the window to cycle up and down at times, that could be an issue for you, or you may just have a bad battery. A tender should NOT be nec. if sitting less then 3 weeks.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:33 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I spoke to Bowling Green Quality Control and the person was very knowledgeable about this issue.

He said the new 08's batteries are engineered to allow a car to last uncharged for about 35 days. They changed the timing on the ECM to shut down the car after 10 minutes (It used to be 25 minutes), and GM is using a newer higher capacity battery on the 08's which increased storage time from 30 to 35 days.

He also said if the car is in a show, where the doors are constantly opened and closed, causes the ECM to wake the electrical system which keeps the battery draw at a maximum.

In that case - if you are showing your car with the hood open, and the doors open or opened frequently all day, I (me) would recommend a solar battery trickle charger.

BTW, leaving the manual transmission in reverse is only for 05 C6's. It was done away with for 06 and newer.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
tomekeuro85
Racer

I left my '07 Vette in the garage without even turning it on for like 3 months straight... started immediately when I tried...

Did you possibly forget to turn off your portable GPS??

My sister left a measly radar detector on for 2 days and that drained her whole battery.

GPS probably uses a lot more power...
Old 04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know; this is interesting tho. I put my fob last nite inside the door of my lower level, went back out and couldn't open the trunk or the door. That's about 15 ft. away. I always take the fob upstairs to the main level, and put it in a kitchen drawer; that's a lot farther away.

Still, yours is a very interesting point and example. Seven weeks, that's a very long time. Mine went dead in the garage within 22 days. Really, really, dead.
I notice someone just posted their car sat with no battery tender for 3 months and started! It can't be because of the batteries because mines the stock battery. So why can some cars sit so much longer than others?

There almost has to be some electronic reason because I did nothing except park it! Now GM is saying 30 to 35 days without starting it? I don't believe that's all that bad if that's the average, but I still think there is something else at play here.

I'm happy that mine can sit that long with out being plugged into a tender. If everyone was getting say 4 weeks this wouldn't be much of an issue.....
Old 04-28-2008, 03:36 PM
steruth
Advanced

The 12V accessory socket "cigarette lighter" stays hot when you leave the car. If you had your portable GPS plugged in, it stayed on. That is probably the culprit since you said you have a portable GPS.

I previously owned an 02 Porsche 911 and it would shut down the keyless entry and other drains after a few days of non-use to prolong battery life. Sounds like a good idea for Chevy.

Isn't there a device on the market that claims to shut down battery draw before the battery can go too low to start the car? I can't remember the name of it but it may be a good option for those that leave their cars sitting for long periods without a battery tender.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cthusker
I notice someone just posted their car sat with no battery tender for 3 months and started! It can't be because of the batteries because mines the stock battery. So why can some cars sit so much longer than others?

There almost has to be some electronic reason because I did nothing except park it! Now GM is saying 30 to 35 days without starting it? I don't believe that's all that bad if that's the average, but I still think there is something else at play here.

I'm happy that mine can sit that long with out being plugged into a tender. If everyone was getting say 4 weeks this wouldn't be much of an issue.....
I agree; something is at play here. There's too much variability.

And while I agree 30-35 days sounds pretty good, obviously, that wasn't the case with my just over 3 week no start situation last November on an '08, fully charged per the run I took before shutting it down. Without throwing it out the window, the fob was pretty far away, too.

So, maybe it's not the battery, and it is the car itself. I've had none of the window indexing up and down issues, ever. And I have nothing permanently or temporarily plugged in, or hard wired in.

Strange, very strange. I do think, tho, that Corvette heard me loud and clear when I wrote them the question: how can my car die in about 3 weeks of non-use? And their short term solution/answer was one that I followed (buying and using all winter, a battery tender). I feel that they are working on or caused to happen at least some kind of interim solution. But maybe it didn't work on OP's car, or his car was an earlier model.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
rich_r31
Advanced

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Please sell that POS as soon as possible. We don't need people like you in "the family". A new battery maybe all that is needed, but hey, you were already told that.
Family? Don't think for a second that I am part of your family. I have my only family pal and am not interested in making you part of it. Nothing personal, but I am not one of those guys who wave at other Corvettes when I pass one. Give me a break, it's a stupid American car (which will be bankrupt soon), not a baby... FAMILY?! Get a life!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:02 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I left my '08 in the garage for a week and it started fine.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

From what I have read the 05 is a model unto itself and is the only year that needs to be left in reverse when stopped.

I would get a good quality battery tender if you can't find the short.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Don't doubt you, but what changed from '07 to '08?
See rocketman post above, #35. It was only an '05 model year requirement. All Corvettes since don't require it. Wayne O got it too in his post.

Quick Reply: '08 battery died after 2 weeks in garage.