C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a C6 but my wife wants me to get an S5. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Default I want a C6 but my wife wants me to get an S5. Thoughts?

So, here痴 my dilemma. I知 all set to buy a C6, but my wife decides she wants me to look at the new Audi A5. I知 pretty much against the car right up until the salesman hands us the keys and lets us take it for a ride around town for about half an hour. (he stayed at the dealership since the back seat is wayyyyy too small for a grown man.)

I have to tell you, man, I liked the car a LOT more than I wanted to. It rides and drives great, is much more quiet inside when driving than I expected, and has a great interior. The only thing I don稚 like about it is the somewhat anemic 265 HP and 243 TQ out of the standard version. That痴 not all that much for a 3900 pound car. By comparison, the S5 is 350 HP/325 TQ and 4100 pounds.

My wife doesn稚 really like the 膳ette and has been pretty clear about it. So much so, she suggested we look at the S5 and buy it even if it痴 as much as 5000 more than the C6. (I was surprised.) She even dangled the 展hy would you buy a base Corvette? Why not buy the S5 now and get a ZO6 next time. I think she痴 just saying that to get the Audi this time and we値l have a different reason to not buy the 膳ette next time" carrot.

She actually called the base C6 a "poor man's Corvette." (Man, she's working it hard, isn't she?)

I really like the idea of the S5, since it's a nice looking car and reasonably exclusive, but with the Corvette ringing in at 436 hp and 3200 pounds we池e talking about an 171HP to 86HP difference. (A5 vs. S5) and a 900 pound difference.

The S5 is also about $10,000 more than what I can pay for a C6 equipped the way I want it. (AO, 1LT, NPP, Z51, 6 speed, and that痴 pretty much it.)

Did I mention the sales guy told me there痴 a year waiting list for an S5?

I figure I can get a C6 the way I want for about $45k, but even at invoice the S5 is $55k. (does anyone know if supporting vendors claiming to sell for "employee pricing" is GMS or Supplier? Supplier is actually "vendor" and not "employee."

Anyway, I'm 32 and have wanted a 'Vette since I was a little mullet head in New Jersey. I'm finally in a position to buy one but there are some great alternatives out there.

Thoughts and feedback are welcome.

Oh, and here's the S5.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:20 AM
matsarge
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Life is too short to have regrets which is what you'll have if you buy the Audi over the Vette. Your heart and head is pulling you in the right direction, just go close the deal.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:21 AM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd suggest you do what your wife wants. Looks like she wears the pants.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hulksdaddy
I'd suggest you do what your wife wants. Looks like she wears the pants.
I love when single guys say that.

It's not that I don't want the S5, because I wanted it the second I saw it. It's more of an issue of wanting a Corvette for much, MUCH longer. My wife simply won't drive a manual transmission and that's the only way I'm going to get a C6. The Audi is something I'd get with an Auto, so it'd be a car she can enjoy, too. I consider my wife with every decision I make. It's why we still have sex after 6 years together.

I was thinking I could get a deal on the S5 (my wife's company owns an Audi dealership) keep it 6 months, sell it for more than I paid for it, THEN get a C6.

Last edited by Big Top Gt; 04-26-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

S5 (and any Audi for that matter) is a darn nice car. Build quality compared to a Corvette is a no brainer - Audi wins hands down. Interior? Audi is probably the best in the world overall at that. Two different cars with different personalities. I have a Corvette and my wife drives an Audi A4 S Line. As far as "compromise" between the two you'll find that it is VERY easy to consider the Audi as a daily driver / versatile vehicle. The Vette is going to be a little tougher to consider as a daily driver and is not nearly as versatile. Pure "emotion" when driving - Vette wins. Personally - if I were in your shoes on the fence - I'd get the Audi for now but I would do a three year lease. Then you have an easy option "out" at the end of three years and you can reconsider the situation. Audi is a good lease candidate - the S5 will hold its value better than the Vette. Good luck - can't lose with either.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:37 AM
jpersinger
Heel & Toe

I have an idea. You buy the Corvette because you want to. If your wife wants to buy an A5, tell her to buy it! It's genius I tell you...pure genius.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jpersinger
I have an idea. You buy the Corvette because you want to. If your wife wants to buy an A5, tell her to buy it! It's genius I tell you...pure genius.
That would work, but I'll need you to stop by twice a day to drive around our 3 kids.

We're thinking about getting rid of her 06 Sequoia and buying a Q7. We drove one of those yesterday and really like it. The 3rd row seat in that thing is useless for anyone even close to being an adult, though. Good thing my kids are 2, 4, and 11.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt

It's not that I don't want the S5, because I wanted it the second I saw it. It's more of an issue of wanting a Corvette for much, MUCH longer. My wife simply won't drive a manual transmission and that's the only way I'm going to get a C6. The Audi is something I'd get with an Auto, so it'd be a car she can enjoy, too. I consider my wife with every decision I make. It's why we still have sex after 6 years together.

I was thinking I could get a deal on the S5 (my wife's company owns an Audi dealership) keep it 6 months, sell it for more than I paid for it, THEN get a C6.
Even if She owned the Company doubt you will make a profit in 6-months on the used Audi. If you did whats 6- months going to buy you?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
Even if She owned the Company doubt you will make a profit in 6-months on the used Audi.
There's a 1 year waiting list on S5. I can get the car for cost, which is less than 55k on a 60k sticker.

Think I can get more than 60 for it after 6 months if I keep the miles low?

They had a used one on the lot yesterday and they wanted 5k over MSRP for it.

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
If you did whats 6- months going to buy you?
A new C6.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:56 AM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Your kids are really cute
Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 AM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

If you can't get your wifes blessings on the C6 then I say get the Audi instead. It is not worth the tension in the marriage or better yet by both one for her and one for you.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:02 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Why are u even asking our opinion. It seems like your gonna go with what your old lady said, so buy the audi and move on.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:05 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

If this is your only car . . .you've got a problem . . . if she has whatever car she wants for herself and is this demanding on what she thinks YOU should drive - - -you've probably got a problem too!

IMO . . .if it's to be your only car for the household, the Vette may not be the best as a family car and certainly, you will never, ever hear the end of it.

Good luck - - I think you're gonna need it.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:08 AM
georgeg
Instructor

Just a thought, trade in the wife.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:17 AM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt

Single? Been a long time since I was that!

My point is, you're going to buy the Audi, so what's the point of this thread? Regardless of your original post, you're NOT at the point you can get a C6. 3 kids, and wife doesn't want it, no way, no how.

We all know you're getting the Audi, so there ya go.

(BTW, still having sex after ONLY 6 years together is no great feat )
Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM
PAKirk
Racer

I think the S5 is a really cool car. And, being that you've got more than two people to haul around, it may be your better choice. It's a car that caught my eye, too.

But, having said the above, Audi's notorious reliability issues and maintenance/repair costs, especially out of warranty, keep me away. In fact, that's what keeps me away from the big 3 luxury/sport German makes, period (BMW, MB, and Audi). I'd love to get into Porsche ownership some day, but the high cost of admission keeps me out of that one for now.

I have to be honest with you: you're kidding yourself if you think you're going to turn a profit on the car and sell it in 6 months. First, the wife is pressuring you HARD to get the Audi... what makes you think she'll agree to ditching it in 6 months, after she probably grows even fonder of it? Second, look at the economy: it's on a down swing. Sure, demand is high and supply is low right now, but that happens with every hot new car. Remember when dealers were tacking huge markups on Z06s? Now you can get em for nearly $10K off sticker. I remember seeing a Honda S2K with a $10K markup on it when they first came out. The point is that there may currently be a long waiting list, but many of those orders can/will be canceled as people pull their deposits and get real conservative with their cash. Dealers make money on car markups; private sellers rarely do, unless it's something super exclusive (like a Ford GT, or a Carrera GT, or something like that). Someone will always know a dealership where they can get the car at cost, and they have x in stock. Just look at how most Chevy dealers won't drop below sticker for their Vettes, or come anywhere close to what the forum dealers can do. Guess who sells more Vettes?

Bottom line is that, given your situation, I think the Audi will work out to a better option for you. If you do lease, the maintenance stuff should be a non-issue, as I think it's all covered. Don't try to reason with yourself and think that you'll be able to flip the car, though.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 AM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Originally Posted by georgeg
Just a thought, trade in the wife.

Get notified of new replies

To I want a C6 but my wife wants me to get an S5. Thoughts?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I work at the local Jaguar, Porsche, Audi dealership... in fact I'm at work right now and looking at a Carribean blue A5 sitting out my window. I've a gorgeous and futuristic looking car. The build quailty is amazing.

We have a white demo car and just delivered our first S5... man that thing is cool.

There is a 6-8 month wait list for an S5 as our first 7 allocations are paid for. I had no idea on the weight of the car... had no clue it was that heavy.

I'd go for the C6 as it'll perform better, it costs less, you can get it right now at a discount, and you can take the top out... something you can't do on the A5 or S5.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:29 AM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why you posted? Sounds like you already made up your mind to get the A5.

You will find in life wanting is not the same as having. I doubt money is the deciding factor. Some of us are Corvette drivers and some are A5 drivers. You know yourself better than the Forum knows you.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
If this is your only car . . .you've got a problem . . . if she has whatever car she wants for herself and is this demanding on what she thinks YOU should drive - - -you've probably got a problem too!

IMO . . .if it's to be your only car for the household, the Vette may not be the best as a family car and certainly, you will never, ever hear the end of it.

Good luck - - I think you're gonna need it.

Quick Reply: I want a C6 but my wife wants me to get an S5. Thoughts?