C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 AM
jimdavis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob confusion

If you accidentally leave your fob in the car, you can program your Vette to alert you to this fact with three honks of the horn. I have mine programmed this way.

However, all too frequently I get out of my car with the fob in my pocket, close the door, and the horn honks three times. This doesn't happen every time which is the thing that puzzles me.

Anyone else experienced this?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 AM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried this for a while and only experienced that once, but it was annoying enough for me to turn this feature off.

I just keep the fob in my pocket where it belongs, and I don't allow the car to automatically lock the doors.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:20 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

This has to do with sensitivity of the antenna and the location of the fob relative to the antenna. The Corvette has four antenna's for the remote control door lock module. One each at the B pillar at the base of the frame about window height. There is one at the rear of the vehicle near the tail lights for hatch release and there is one inside the cabin for the start button.

As you exit the car if you are close enough to the drivers side antenna it can't determine that you have exited the vehicle and is alerting you to the fact that it thinks you left the fob inside.

This can also happen if you exit the car and don't close the door. When you get back in it can also beep three times. It won't check until the door is closed and if you exit and re-enter without closing the door when it checks upon your return it sees the door close and it sees the fob and lets you know.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdavis
If you accidentally leave your fob in the car, you can program your Vette to alert you to this fact with three honks of the horn. I have mine programmed this way.

However, all too frequently I get out of my car with the fob in my pocket, close the door, and the horn honks three times. This doesn't happen every time which is the thing that puzzles me.

Anyone else experienced this?
All the time, no rhyme or reason as to when
Old 04-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by sabooher
I tried this for a while and only experienced that once, but it was annoying enough for me to turn this feature off.

I just keep the fob in my pocket where it belongs, and I don't allow the car to automatically lock the doors.
Except that I do have the car lock automatically. I just keep the fob in my pocket all the time.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:02 AM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Always carry a spare key

I recommend that you grind the head of one of your extra keys down small enough to keep the key in your wallet at all times.
Remember, the push button above your tag will not work if you lock your fob inside the car.
As you know, you will usually lock yourself out at the most inopportune time.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
jkreis
Racer

That has happend to me several times...I just ignore it...
Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 AM
ronkh
Instructor

What happens if you leave the fob in the car but don't have it programmed to alert you? Does it lock the fob in the car or just remain unlocked?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ronkh
What happens if you leave the fob in the car but don't have it programmed to alert you? Does it lock the fob in the car or just remain unlocked?
The owner's manual says that if you have the car programmed to lock automatically, it will lock only if at least one fob has left the car. However, I've not tried it.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by JimTN
The owner's manual says that if you have the car programmed to lock automatically, it will lock only if at least one fob has left the car. However, I've not tried it.
It is worth noting however that this does not apply to a fob left in the trunk or hatch (like in a gym bag.). The car will not look for a fob in the hatch. As such, it will not see one and consequently lock the car and your fob inside it. Many members have been caught by this. Leave your fob in your pocket. A fob in the car unlocked is as good as a keey in the ignition to the Corvette.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
jimdavis
Instructor

Originally Posted by talon90
This has to do with sensitivity of the antenna and the location of the fob relative to the antenna. The Corvette has four antenna's for the remote control door lock module. One each at the B pillar at the base of the frame about window height. There is one at the rear of the vehicle near the tail lights for hatch release and there is one inside the cabin for the start button.

As you exit the car if you are close enough to the drivers side antenna it can't determine that you have exited the vehicle and is alerting you to the fact that it thinks you left the fob inside.

This can also happen if you exit the car and don't close the door. When you get back in it can also beep three times. It won't check until the door is closed and if you exit and re-enter without closing the door when it checks upon your return it sees the door close and it sees the fob and lets you know.
OK.....that explains it. It happens most frequently when I park my car at my office. I usually park it close to a wall which doesn't allow me to walk very far away from the car after I close the door. I back into the space so I end up squeezing by the front of the car which would put me in proximity to the sensor in the windshield post.

I always keep my fob in my pocket and allow it to unlock and lock the car automatically, a feature I really like. I will just turn off the deal that warns me if the fob is left in the car since the chance of that ever happening is about zero.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Chevtech
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at this and why don't you go in and have it reprogrammed.

Occasional No Fob Detected Message on DIC or Key In Reminder When Key Fob Outside of Vehicle

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

2005-2008 Cadillac XLR and V-Series

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to add revised procedures that will recover the RCDLR when/if the RCDLR "Locks Up". Please discard PIC4642.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment of an occasional "No Fob Detected" message displayed on the DIC when the fob is located somewhere on the driver's seat. They also may comment that the fob reminder (3 horn honks) is heard when exiting the vehicle with the key fob. This is because the original RCDLR software does not adequately cover the driver's seat and it can also detect the fob when it is slightly outside of the driver's door. The new software will add a new zone to better cover the driver's seat, and it will also add a 2 second delay after the door closes before checking for the fob on the interior. This could affect all vehicles built prior to October 2007.
Recommendation/Instructions:
Important: Prior to programming per the information below, the Radio and HVAC Fuses MUST be removed and the ignition must be in "Key On Engine Off Mode" The radio and HVAC fuses can be located in the BCM fuse block on the passengers floor electrical center. One of the fuses is labeled RDO/S'BAND/VICS and the other is labeled HVAC/PWR SND.

Program the RCDLR with revised software using TIS-2-WEB "Pass Through" method. When programming, it is required to select "Replace and Reprogram ECU".

Important: If the programming procedure does not finish successfully and the RCDLR appears to be in a "locked up" state do not turn off the ignition, follow the directions below...

The RCDLR can be reset by removing the RCDLR fuse (#11 in the UBEC) for at least 30 seconds or longer and then reinstalling it. Once this fuse is reinstalled in the UBEC, there will be a 2 minute window to restart the programming of the RCDLR through TIS2WEB. Failure to restart the programming of the RCDLR through TIS2WEB within 2 minutes may cause programming to fail and this procedure will need to be repeated. It is recommended that the Tech 2 remain connected to the vehicle and that the TIS2WEB application is open and ready to program the vehicle prior to reinstalling RCDLR fuse #11 into the UBEC.

Use Labor Operation Number R9723 with a Labor Time of 0.4

Please Note the following two items:: DO NOT REPLACE THE MODULE - JUST REPROGRAM IT. ALSO FOB PROGRAMMING AND TPM LEARN IS NOT REQUIRED.

For Model years 2005-2007, use software version 25927325.

For Model Year 2008, use software version 25927326

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:05 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jimdavis
OK.....that explains it. It happens most frequently when I park my car at my office. I usually park it close to a wall which doesn't allow me to walk very far away from the car after I close the door. I back into the space so I end up squeezing by the front of the car which would put me in proximity to the sensor in the windshield post.

I always keep my fob in my pocket and allow it to unlock and lock the car automatically, a feature I really like. I will just turn off the deal that warns me if the fob is left in the car since the chance of that ever happening is about zero.

Thanks for the info.
Famous last words "since the chance of that ever happening is about zero."
I suggest you grind down the head of one of your keys and carry it in your wallet just in case MR MURPHY shows up.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
marathon
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by talon90
I realized this was happening when leaving the door open while filling the fuel tank. I'm sure the other customers were wondering why I was honking the horn before starting the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Fob confusion

Quick Reply: Fob confusion