C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another disconnected dash speaker...wow

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:19 PM
CRG517
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another disconnected dash speaker...wow

Thanks to the forum I have disconnected my dash speaker in hopes of improving the sound of my Blose system, I was skepticle that there would be enough notable improvement..... but am pleased to say there is an definate improvement and would reccomend the quick mod to anyone, the fight is over between the speakers in my cabin...
Old 04-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 05 Bose/Nav, how much different is it?, and what year do you have?
Old 04-13-2008, 12:41 PM
chris36053
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering what it takes to remove the grill and is the speaker mounted to the grill or below the dash ? Thanks.

Chris
Old 04-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chris36053
Just wondering what it takes to remove the grill and is the speaker mounted to the grill or below the dash ? Thanks.

Chris
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=dash+speaker
Old 04-13-2008, 12:51 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It may sound better when you just disconnect the crappy Bose speaker,
however when you replace it with a quality speaker such as Boston Acoustics like I did the sound is awesome and adds to the entire sound inside of car. I replaced all speakers except the big subs in door. One of the best sounding stereo's I've had.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:27 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by jdurhan
It may sound better when you just disconnect the crappy Bose speaker,
however when you replace it with a quality speaker such as Boston Acoustics like I did the sound is awesome and adds to the entire sound inside of car. I replaced all speakers except the big subs in door. One of the best sounding stereo's I've had.
I've noticed that the rear speakers in my vert are very bad...only midrange, no bass and no treble. Did you do the rears with something that has tweeters?
Old 04-13-2008, 01:34 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by cclive
I've noticed that the rear speakers in my vert are very bad...only midrange, no bass and no treble. Did you do the rears with something that has tweeters?
I replaced all three front speaks with BA 3 1/2 sa35 and the rear speakers with sa55 all available from crutchfield for decent prices.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

So how did you remove the center grill? I've tried two different methods, but can't get it off. I'm afraid I might break it.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:17 PM
kgb14
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
The rears in the Bose system are just filler, not stereo. I replaced my rear speakers with a very slight improvement. Take a look at the quality speakers (front and rear) that they put in our "upgraded" Blose stereo:

Old 04-13-2008, 06:10 PM
BaBa Booey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kgb14
The rears in the Bose system are just filler, not stereo. I replaced my rear speakers with a very slight improvement. Take a look at the quality speakers (front and rear) that they put in our "upgraded" Blose stereo:

That's embarrassing. They look like they came out of a '80s era boom box.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Leprkon
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave O
So how did you remove the center grill? I've tried two different methods, but can't get it off. I'm afraid I might break it.
tape up two flat blade screwdrivers to keep from scratching the dash. start close to the windshield and pry up gently from both ends. you should hear two clips pop. move around to the flats to both sides of the center bulge. two more pops. one more pry on the center bulge to pop the final clip. all together five clips. a 7mm socket to pull the speaker out.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dans C6
I have an 05 Bose/Nav, how much different is it?, and what year do you have?
I have an 05 coupe, Nav, etc... Its awso0me w/out the center spkr.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

"BOSE, Better Sound though Marketing"

IMHO one of the worst cases of fraud perpatrated on the American public is anything BOSE sells whether it is for your car or home. It is just my opinion but I have hated BOSE for 25 years. Every new product is just another in a long line of medicore sounding systems with over inflated prices.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 501 Likes on 233 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
"BOSE, Better Sound though Marketing"

IMHO one of the worst cases of fraud perpatrated on the American public is anything BOSE sells whether it is for your car or home. It is just my opinion but I have hated BOSE for 25 years. Every new product is just another in a long line of medicore sounding systems with over inflated prices.
I couldn't agree more. When will GM stop putting this garbage in these upscale cars? I can think of many stereo makes that would run circles around Blose.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:23 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Originally Posted by kgb14

I think those are the same Blose in my dads old 84. Seriously!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Leprkon
tape up two flat blade screwdrivers to keep from scratching the dash. start close to the windshield and pry up gently from both ends. you should hear two clips pop. move around to the flats to both sides of the center bulge. two more pops. one more pry on the center bulge to pop the final clip. all together five clips. a 7mm socket to pull the speaker out.
Thanks!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
candlemuse
Drifting

Originally Posted by BigButtLover
I couldn't agree more. When will GM stop putting this garbage in these upscale cars? I can think of many stereo makes that would run circles around Blose.
I totally agree , I recently got Bose PC speakers (not cheap) , turned out to be junk , I returned them next day .

Get notified of new replies

To Another disconnected dash speaker...wow

Old 04-13-2008, 10:48 PM
yell01
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by BigButtLover
I have a Mark Levinson system in my DD (Lexus GS430) and it is the best sounding stereo I've ever had. Everyone who rides in it can't believe how great it sounds and doesn't distort one bit as you crank it.

I'm going to replace my Blose with and Alpine Nav. unit and probably some Memphis Audio speakers.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:21 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Thanks for the pics....depressing though to see that and know that we paid MORE for it!!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Leprkon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jdurhan
I replaced all three front speaks with BA 3 1/2 sa35 and the rear speakers with sa55 all available from crutchfield for decent prices.
another option is the SX-55s for the back. they are a component speaker, a little better quality than the SA55's, for about $50 more. I replaced the little fronts and the rears for about $170 shipped by going through techronics.com. the GM connectors don't match up to the BA's, but it's pretty easy to squish a wire from the speaker into the GM connector and tape it up. I didn't have any luck with the Circuit City connector that everyone says to buy. they fit a truck or something, but not a vette.

Quick Reply: Another disconnected dash speaker...wow