C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are You Going To Renew OnStar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 AM
jrpedraza
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will not renew it, just like others have stated I do not see the need for it.

JR
Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 AM
cmdrzero
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 15 Posts

Default OFF-Star

I just don't see its value. I'm annoyed that its there because I didn't want it in the first place. I think eventually every vehicle will be required to have one so they can tax you for miles driven, minutes the engine is on and the number of times you exceeded certain revs. Maybe because I live in the Republik of Maryland I just think the government liberal clones are cash-vacuums. Drivin' & Smilin' (in spite of living where I do for the present time).
Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 AM
bullrunvette
Racer

It is expensive but the main thing that annoys me is that they will not carry over minutes that I have paid for into new renewal year!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 AM
candlemuse
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Onstar cannot be used the same way as a cellphone is used because the user has to be in the car to use it , the sound is on the speakers so if you are not alone in the car you cannot have a private conversation . There is no dialpad so you cannot use services which require you to enter a number also the voice dial is a pain you have to have a very clean voice and accent otherwise it takes a very long time to get it right at least for me that is , Also to use services like getting direction and etc, require you to pay more for monthly fees, so they are not included in the basic service .
I needed it twice in one year , both times it did not work therefore I cancelled it. On the third car I never activated it.
I would say your best bet is to get a cellphone and bluetooth for car use.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Old Coot
Racer

Originally Posted by bullrunvette
It is expensive but the main thing that annoys me is that they will not carry over minutes that I have paid for into new renewal year!
Onstar told me the other day, that if I had bought another block of 100 minutes before the year was up, they would roll the old ones over to the new year. Doesn't make much sense to buy another 100 minutes when I didn't use the last block I bought.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 AM
User 020720
Race Director

Don't have it, don't want it either.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 589 Likes on 338 Posts

Onstar is bascially like insurance. You pay for it and hopefully you don't need it often. I suppose that in an that one hopefully never to come emergency it would be well worth it's cost.

As for the phone minutes, they are pricey. I bought the first 100 minutes for $14.99 in a new customer promotion but I am not sure I will buy more. They do expire in one year from pruchase or if your Onstar plan terminates. You do have to be aware of that.

Cost aside because it is a 3-watt full power cell phone it has a much better signal so calls at least for me are better that my regular cell phone most of the time.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 AM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I will renew.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Have it on 2 cars and will keep it.

Parents have it in both of their cars and they will keep it.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by cmdrzero
I just don't see its value. I'm annoyed that its there because I didn't want it in the first place. I think eventually every vehicle will be required to have one so they can tax you for miles driven, minutes the engine is on and the number of times you exceeded certain revs. Maybe because I live in the Republik of Maryland I just think the government liberal clones are cash-vacuums. Drivin' & Smilin' (in spite of living where I do for the present time).

True, true..........
Old 04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
matsarge
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Expensive? It's all relative but I disagree (at least about the OnStar service itself). Assuming you own the car a 'fair' number of years it costs pennies a day.

Some of the features I could care less about but with a manual transmission, I do like the built-in, hands-free, more powerful OnStar phone. I can't quite drive, shift gears and make a hand-held cell phone call at the same time. There may be other hands-free cell phone options but OnStar is there and it works (I'm not about to wear some Flash Gordon earpiece either).

The OnStar phone can often 'get out' when other cell phones can't. I've been on numerous (horse) trail rides on ranches in southeastern Arizona in my OnStar equipped Suburban...guys with conventional cell phones can't get a line out...the only guys making phone calls are those with satellite phones or OnStar.

Whenever I've had 'excess' minutes OnStar has always rolled them over to the next year.

Should your car be stolen, the GPS locator just might locate it (I know of an instance where OnStar worked with the Police to locate a stolen car). Yes, if my car is stolen I want it back. As you insure your car for actual cash value, if it's stolen and never recovered your insurance company will likely give you enough money to buy a GEO Metro.

In the unlikely event you're involved in a serious accident, OnStar response might just save your life.

It's worth pennies a day to me.

BTW...OnStar does not bill your credit card without permission. I don't like the practice of automatic renewals but if they do, you agreed to it.
....I don't use it that much but it's nice to know it's there in case I need.

Yes, if you're in accident someone with a cell phone may call it in, but what if you're alone on a country road and you have an accident with no one around to call it in and you're not in a position to do so. As Wayne said, the Onstar response might just save your life. The GPS function is great too since my car is leased, hell yes I want to increase my chances of getting my car back if it's stolen. I'd rather not it screwed by my insurance company when it comes to time settled up.

To me having an Onstar in my car is sort of like owning and carrying a pistol. Plenty of people could go, "Why spend 500-600 dollars on a pistol and money on a CCL when you'll probably never use it??" The idea is you hope you never have to use it's full benefits but it's sure nice to know you have it ready if you need it. The cost is immaterial to the benefit it could provide and you can't put a price on having your life saved.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
skipdale
Instructor

I took it for resale value and will not renew. If my wife were a frequent driver, if I were an agressive driver,
for if I often drove in remote areas I would reconsider.

I used the cell phone at highway speed and my side if the conversation was very noisy. When I use a "Jawbone" bluetooth headset on my personal cell phone, my side of the conversation is crystall clear.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Sherman Fretwell
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remote area is where I live. I have been able to make calls via OnStar when my cell did not work. I agree that minutes should roll over. There is no call log available. As was said, out here we view it as insurance.

No bluetooth is far more troubling to me.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great service for pennies a day. I will continue to renew

Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
lurtonk
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I activated it and will renew.

I love the phone. I go to the YMCA most mornings and don't have a pocket to carry a cell phone so now I have a way to call.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:29 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Originally Posted by SvetteC6
I just paid $300 +/- to have both my cars upgraded to the digital system and also paid for 1 year sevice for both of them. I like the emergency response feature and there are areas were my cell will not work but onstar will. You can also get a small credit on your insurance with onstar due to the vehicle tracking feature.

The "LoJack" feature is the main reason I will renew mine.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 PM
exaf86
Racer

In case... in case... in case. blah, blah, blah. I have a cell phone (pre-paid minutes) and it's only on if I'm traveling. Otherwise I'd rather not talk to anybody while I'm on the road. I can wait to talk and so can they. If you're driving and yacking, at least have the courtesy to get out of my way. It's like those other inconsiderates that walk into a busy store and STOP in everybody else's way as soon as they get in the door.

Get notified of new replies

To Are You Going To Renew OnStar?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Doing69
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyBono24

The "LoJack" feature is the main reason I will renew mine.

Honestly, If someone is skilled enough to steal a vette, don't you think that they would disconnect the OnStar module so not to be tracked via GPS. That's my thinking.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BRU
Having used OnStar once, I was very unhappy when they tried to sell me more minutes when all I needed was a damn tow-truck.

If I traveled a lot or lived in a rural area, it might make sense. Otherwise, my cell phone works fine and other drivers are bound to report a bad accident. Save your money.
Same issue, Onstar was no help when called upon. I've had other non critical issues with their service, and since calling and Navi is duplicated, and the cost is excessive for poor unreliable service, I will not renew.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I had it for a year plus. The biggest advantage was that the phone coverage is MUCH better than our regular cell phone especially when we're in relatively remote areas (road trips). My wife liked the security but I think she's cooled to that. I seriously doubt that we'll renew again.

Quick Reply: Are You Going To Renew OnStar?