C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI Voiding GM Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:07 PM
n2f
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI Voiding GM Warranty?

Two weeks ago, there was a post about GM voiding warranties for mods involving performance tunes. Would a SLP Blackwing - without after market tune - void the GM warranty?

If the warranty does remain intact, would the car pick up any perceptable performance gains from just the Blackwing (no tune)?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:11 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Probably about as risky as a new exhaust (low) but I could see a few dealers denying a warranty claim to any part of the drivetrain due to increased power.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think due to the extra power, no, it wouldn't have a warranty effect. If, however, it should malfunction or somehow affect something immediately upstream, then possible. Still, it's a bit of a stretch.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

You'll get lots of OPINIONS from us - ask your dealer and you'll get FACTS (at least that dealer's perspective on the issue). Considering what a warranty is worth you probably want facts.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:02 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 535 Likes on 288 Posts

A cold air intake should not void your warranty.
But it may vary from dealer to dealer.
Mine didn't care. In fact, they offered to install mine for me.

When I installed my Halltech Killer Bee, I did notice a difference.
There was definitely more of an instantaneous response when I hit the gas.

On my previous car (BMW 540i) there was a very noticable difference when I added the intake.
It would want to spin the tires when I got on it.
It never had that kind of response before I added the intake.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Pruettfan
Racer

It may not void the warranty but there are risks with some of the systems. A freind of mine had one on his car that sucked air from below the car. When his wife drove it through a puddle (deep) guess what happened? Yes, it sucked water straight into the engine. This happened to at least one other forum member so I would be cautious in choosing a CAI.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

As stated, IMO it depends on two things: the warranty issue in question and the dealer. If you take it in for a broken door handle, no. If you take it in for an engine issue, perhaps. In that case it depends on how flexible the dealer is. The latest news is that GM may be removing some of that flexibility from the dealers.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 AM
n2f
Racer

Thanks for all the replies.

I had a K&N on my previous car and it felt much more responsive throttle-wise. Not much of a gain in quickness, per se, but it was a 1.8 litre turbo Saab so what did I expect, a V8?

Sounds like anything other than a VaraRam should be O.K. but I'll double check with the dealer.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:12 AM
spinedoc77
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
It may not void the warranty but there are risks with some of the systems. A freind of mine had one on his car that sucked air from below the car. When his wife drove it through a puddle (deep) guess what happened? Yes, it sucked water straight into the engine. This happened to at least one other forum member so I would be cautious in choosing a CAI.
Yep happened to me also with a Vararam. Cracked the block.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:11 AM
BaBa Booey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by foremaw
As stated, IMO it depends on two things: the warranty issue in question and the dealer. If you take it in for a broken door handle, no. If you take it in for an engine issue, perhaps. In that case it depends on how flexible the dealer is. The latest news is that GM may be removing some of that flexibility from the dealers.

I spoke to the service manager at my dealership regarding CAI, headers and warranty and this is the way it was explained to me. He said he doesn't have a problem with those mods and would fix any problems I had that were covered under warranty.
However, in the case of catastrophic failure (motor, trans etc.) he must first get approval from a regional GM warranty rep. before performing any work under warranty. The regional rep. is going to be much less "forgiving" when it comes to performance mods.
Regardless of the mod. though GM must honor the warranty unless they can show that the mod. caused the failure. There's a law (I don't know the name) that has been posted here that addresses mods. and warranty.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:58 AM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Taken mine in several times and one visit was a lean condition code.
Not one word was said about my Callaway Honker and Zoomers cat back.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it since all you're doing is putting in a big air filter that does nothing else but sit there and look pretty!!No gains in power,in answer to your 2nd part of the question.The other thread specifically said ""A TUNE" would void the warranty,which you're not doing, you said.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

I have thought long and hard about mods for my Z.....the only thing I'm seriously considering is an exhaust....anyhting up in the engine bay is to risky for me....just the thought of having to fight GM for repairs is reason enough not to do it....
Old 04-07-2008, 01:17 PM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most dealers don't care about CAIs. However, if GM has to approve the repair, the outcome could be different. Most (all?) of the aftermarket CAIs use gauze filters to help increase airflow. Unfortunately, they don't filter as well as the OEM paper filters and (i) allow more dirt to enter the engine and (2) increase engine wear. GM is NOT a fan of gauze air filters.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:29 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BaBa Booey
I spoke to the service manager at my dealership regarding CAI, headers and warranty and this is the way it was explained to me. He said he doesn't have a problem with those mods and would fix any problems I had that were covered under warranty.
However, in the case of catastrophic failure (motor, trans etc.) he must first get approval from a regional GM warranty rep. before performing any work under warranty. The regional rep. is going to be much less "forgiving" when it comes to performance mods.
Regardless of the mod. though GM must honor the warranty unless they can show that the mod. caused the failure. There's a law (I don't know the name) that has been posted here that addresses mods. and warranty.
You're kidding, right?

You are thinking of the federal M-M Warranty Act, and it offers NOTHING in the way of consumer protection unless and until you are willing and able to spend a fortune and months (if not years) of your life fighting with GM in court to get a claim covered. Good luck with that.

I've seen some postings in this thread that claims something along the lines of, "But my dealer is ok with it, so it must be ok with GM." Nope. If a dealer installs an item on your car, the DEALER is providing whatever warranty they give, NOT General Motors. Further, lets say the dealership does a warranty repair on your car even though it has been modified. THEY ARE LYING TO GENERAL MOTORS TO GET PAID. GM's policy is quite clear - powertrain mods (and a CAI is a powertrain mod, don't kid yourself) = no powertrain warranty coverage. Period. Some dealers play loose with this rule, others abide by it. I think if the GM regional reps get more involved in the future, the number of "loose" dealerships will rapidly decline.

Bottom line - don't mod if you can't pay for the repairs. Simple as that. And, if you think about, what is so damn unfair about that policy? If you change what GM made, why is GM having to pay the bill for YOUR modification? They didn't do it, so why should they pay for the damage? You'll never prove or disprove causation, so GM isn't going to pay for it.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
I heard this before as well. If you use your vette as a DD, then think twice before getting one (or keeping it).

Red Cell.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM
BaBa Booey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MNVette
You're kidding, right?

You are thinking of the federal M-M Warranty Act, and it offers NOTHING in the way of consumer protection unless and until you are willing and able to spend a fortune and months (if not years) of your life fighting with GM in court to get a claim covered. Good luck with that.

I don't disagree with you. The federal warranty act DOES offer the consumer protection. The problem is that GM has teams of lawyers, deep pockets and all the time in the world.

I've seen some postings in this thread that claims something along the lines of, "But my dealer is ok with it, so it must be ok with GM." Nope. If a dealer installs an item on your car, the DEALER is providing whatever warranty they give, NOT General Motors. Further, lets say the dealership does a warranty repair on your car even though it has been modified. THEY ARE LYING TO GENERAL MOTORS TO GET PAID. GM's policy is quite clear - powertrain mods (and a CAI is a powertrain mod, don't kid yourself) = no powertrain warranty coverage. Period. Some dealers play loose with this rule, others abide by it. I think if the GM regional reps get more involved in the future, the number of "loose" dealerships will rapidly decline.
If my dealer fixes my car then lies to GM to get paid...well is that really my fault?

Bottom line - don't mod if you can't pay for the repairs. Simple as that. And, if you think about, what is so damn unfair about that policy? If you change what GM made, why is GM having to pay the bill for YOUR modification? They didn't do it, so why should they pay for the damage? You'll never prove or disprove causation, so GM isn't going to pay for it.
I agree. GM should not be held liable for our mods. However, if the failure is not cause by a modification GM should not be let off the hook by pointing to some unrelated mod.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the K&N air charger which I'm removing. My dealer said it was OK if the GM rep wasn't called in. If GM looked at it he never knows what they might do.

Get notified of new replies

To CAI Voiding GM Warranty?

Quick Reply: CAI Voiding GM Warranty?