C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple Synchromax in the tranny: *WOW!*

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:31 PM
GunKata
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many opinions and experiences... now I don't know what to put in there with the new MGW short shifter
Old 04-03-2008, 12:04 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Add an MGW shifter and you'll be even happier.

BJK
Old 04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
KFORD
Racer

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
That is a very valid point and in fact using a non GM approved transmission oil can void your warranty. I had a similar experience to yours buying a car some years ago that had non LSD oil put on the rear diff
However GM does NOT specify OEM fluids; it simply specifies what rating it needs to have in order to be deemed acceptable for use in the transmission. I believe RP meets all the requirements.
A call to RP should clear things up. I am too busy unfortunately, but if anyone could chime in it would be MUCH appreciated.
i did the same on my 08 Z51.. i asked about the warranty issue and they said as long as the oil is equal or better than you can use it.. and they told me that RP was OK to use.. it did make a big difference..
Old 04-03-2008, 12:26 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...However GM does NOT specify OEM fluids; it simply specifies what rating it needs to have in order to be deemed acceptable for use in the transmission. I believe RP meets all the requirements...
The C6 Corvette manual transmissions require Dexron III ATF that is labeled as approved for the H Specification.

Any lubricant that is easily identifiable as not being a fluid that meets the H Specification (color might be a obvious tip-off) will likely disqualify any required transmission repairs from any remaining warranty coverage.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:23 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 157 Likes on 95 Posts

I had a Hurst on my Z06 and it felt like I was trying to shift a dump truck with a short throw (MASSIVE shifter effort). I'm plenty happy with the throw on the factory shifter to risk similar results to what a short throw did to my Z....
First, Hurst and MGW are not the same shifter so it may not be wise to dump all "short throw shifters" in the same bucket.

Second, I think most would agree that the primary reason to go to MGW is not for the short throw but for the incredibly improved "precision" of shifting that it provides. You just can't imagine how much better it is.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

I switched to Syncromax a few years ago in my 05. The time you really appreciate it is on cold mornings. First to second is a lot smoother. Overall shifting is a lot less notchy.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All right, might as well fan the fires a bit.

I think that GM mainly specifies ATF for the transmission because its thinner than most gear lube, and that (theoretically) improves efficiency and fuel economy. Also, its something that they have on hand, they don't have to inventory a different lubricant for the very few manual transmissions that they sell.

However, ATF is as much hydraulic fluid as lubricant, and is engineered for high-pressure operation with low foaming and for compatibility with the clutches in automatic transmissions. And probably a lot of other things, but the point is that it really isn't designed for manual transmissions.

The RP Synchromax is an ATF-weight lubricant intended for manual transmissions, and its not surprising that it would do a better job. The requirements are different; no torque converter, high-pressure pumps or complex valving. So it can be optimized for what its used for: lubricating the synchronizers, gears and bearings.

Certainly GM researches this stuff, but that doesn't mean they always get it right. Witness the number of TSBs and different lubricant part numbers for C6 rear end lubrication problems!

Of course your milage may vary, and for that matter your car may too. But the general forum consensus seems to be:
Mobil 1 in the engine
Royal Purple Synchromax in the (manual) transmission
Amsoil Severe Gear EP 75w90 in the differential

Which is what my boss would call "best of breed" selection. That's why he's the boss, he can say things like that with a straight face.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
First, Hurst and MGW are not the same shifter so it may not be wise to dump all "short throw shifters" in the same bucket.

Second, I think most would agree that the primary reason to go to MGW is not for the short throw but for the incredibly improved "precision" of shifting that it provides. You just can't imagine how much better it is.
Sure I can; my Hurst was ROCK SOLID. It was fantastically precise because there was zero give in a solid steel ball that goes into a 3" tall machined billet aluminum socket.
However I have never missed a shift on this car, so, once again, the precision of the stock shifter is not an issue for me, and since the shifter is a lever providing mechanical advantage to you when you try to actuate the shifter fork inside the transmission, anyone who tells you they can reduce throw without increasing shift effort is lying. I don't need 20lbs of throw effort on my car, so I'll keep the stock shifter.
Incidentally this is the first vehicle I have ever owned that I am happy enough with the stock shifter. Every single one of my previous cars had at least a short throw installed, and most of them went a lot further, with polyurethane shifter bushings, hardened transmission mounts, etc.

Every single one of them had very short throws; most buzzed and rattled, and the Z06 was the worse of all. Some times I like to just leave "well enough" alone. I can respect your decision to run the MGW shifter just like I ran 6 different kinds of short throw shifters over the years on different cars, but right now I am completely happy with the way my car shifts
Old 04-03-2008, 08:02 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very well stated,Buffy!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Excellent write-up Sam. I always look forward to your posts. I'll have to look in to the RP for the transmission. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by talon90
Excellent write-up Sam. I always look forward to your posts. I'll have to look in to the RP for the transmission. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
Thank you! That's why I write them
Old 04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Thank you! That's why I write them
Just for me? :o
Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by talon90
Just for me? :o
Ok, maybe you and a few other guys who care
Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 PM
sdz
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by webdzynes
I replaced the rear end with amsoil to get rid of the well publicized rear end chatter which worked perfectly (and still does 20k miles later). This was after 2 GM replacement fills. While warranty is critical, having that experience does point the finger on GM's attention to "proper" lubricants.

My car is manual and Ive had occasional problems shifting into first gear when stopped. I think I'll give this a shot unless Amsoil makes something...
I had RP in my GTO's T56. I eventually swapped it with Amsoil's equiv. The Amsoil version is *way* better IMHO.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
50th@50
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam has been my nieghbor and friend for about 5 months or so. He has helped transform my Vette with custom brakes, headers and lead me towards a custom tune, not to mention pretty much complete fluid changes. My Vette is comparable to an LS2 in performance times, IMO , as a result of primarily his efforts.

My Vette and me will not be the same without him

Guys on the EastCoast, a great guy who is more than happy to help you improve your Vette is on the way. And he works cheap too, , if ya catch my drift.

Thank you Sam, I appreciate all that you have done.

Les Rosin
President, Newton Towers Corvette Club

Last edited by 50th@50; 04-07-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Royal Purple is awesome stuff. Congrats. I need to change mine out.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Synchromax in the tranny: *WOW!*