C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2000 vs. Vette

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:05 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
quite untrue. I've read comparison's with Lotus's, Caymans, even Evo's and Sti's to some degree that made sense to compare and drew little of the venom the Solstice comparison received. All these cars are known for their handling. However putting a Solstice or
s2000 in the same sentence with a vette is where you lose credibility and draw all the comments wondering why you bothered.

Its' all about what his agenda really was which I suspect had more to do with justifying the Solstice than any comparison Anyway, its' was his money and it was his situation.

Back to the S2000, it is a great little drop top, but that is all it is - it is not at the performance level of the Corvette. It is a very competent sports car that I would not be ashamed to own, but I wouldn't be fooling myself in to thinking I had a Corvette killer.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:05 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
Lesson 1: you're not allowed to say anything handles better than the Vette on this forum! The Vette owners who only know how to drive their cars in a wide continuous circle or watch their G meters on grooved on/off ramps will start quoting figures like the S2000 having a .88 skidpad versus the Vette's .98, etc.

Lesson 2: anything smaller (shorter) than the Vette is a chick car.

Lesson 3: people who have never driven whatever non-Vette car you are comparing will chime in claiming "I drove one of those and my SUV handles better" or "I like the XYZ brand, but that car is a real piece of junk".

Lesson 4: If it ain't a Corvette, it's junk.

Lesson 5: In every one in 50 posts, there will be someone reasonable with some constructive input. If you are unable to find those posts, see lesson 4.

Mike
So what do you expect.. you are on a corvette forum... Why bother... what are you trying to prove? That you made the right decision by getting rid of the vette for a Sol.. Why not spend time on that forum.. you will get a better response and people will bow to your feet for selling the vette for the Sol..
You act like everyone here owes you something...
Not cutting you down... just being realistic..
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Personally, I would be embarrassed to post on any forum that I actually fit into a Honda 2000 or Sol, let alone buy one!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
calvie018
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlK
Personally, I would be embarrassed to post on any forum that I actually fit into a Honda 2000 or Sol, let alone buy one!
If you're worrying about fitting in a sol or s2000, i think you have other issues to worry about than being embarrassed about posting on an online forum.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Then what are comparing the S2000 to, a BMW Z3???

Uh, I was providing some comentary about the chassis to someone who said that it felt flimsy. Read my post again, or maybe 3 more times, and you will see that it was not being compared to anything. Thats why I said "I do not know much about the vette chassis in this regard" and went on to ONLY talk about the S2000's chassis and provide a source. That heat must be getting to you over there.

Last edited by 1.8t; 02-15-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:31 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by calvie018
If you're worrying about fitting in a sol or s2000, i think you have other issues to worry about than being embarrassed about posting on an online forum.

uh yeah, this from a member with 970 posts, 360 posts in a thread for a freebie;

"Special Thank You! I am giving away 4 NPP/Z06 wireless exhaust Switches! Enter to Win"
Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Originally Posted by dbraver2
How about CHEvette vs. CORvette? Now THERE would be a comparison!
My first car was a hand-me-down '78 Chevette my father gave me.

I think it had a whopping 50 something horsepower, it hauled.....nothing.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:41 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

quite untrue. I've read comparison's with Lotus's, Caymans, even Evo's and Sti's to some degree that made sense to compare and drew little of the venom the Solstice comparison received. All these cars are known for their handling. However putting a Solstice or
s2000 in the same sentence with a vette is where you lose credibility and draw all the comments wondering why you bothered.
I owned an S2000 for 5-years (original model) and a C6 Vert for 3 years. I think I am fairly well qualified to say I disagree with you.

There are in fact points to be made and it is quite true that HP and cost are not the only factors that make a sports car. Imagine if a Ferrari owner came on saying "how dare you think to compare your cheap American vehicle with a Ferrari!". You can imagine the responses he'd get.

Comparing the Vette to an S2000 should not be equated to say a Yugo as a previous poster tried to humorously suggest. The Vette and an S2000 are in the sports car segment trying to do the same thing from two different angels. That is provide a sports car experience, however, each defines it. I would say a Yugo isn't trying to do that.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 450 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by C6400hp

The S2000 competes in A stock with C4's
Much of the S2000 better handling feel when stock is from its sticky Bridgestone S02 with treadwear of 140. What do you think happens when you take a stock C6 with treadwear of 300 or 220 and slap on some stick 140 or 100 treadwear tires?
Yes but stock for stock, dem little cars stick to da road!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:01 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
So what do you expect.. you are on a corvette forum... Why bother... what are you trying to prove? That you made the right decision by getting rid of the vette for a Sol.. Why not spend time on that forum.. you will get a better response and people will bow to your feet for selling the vette for the Sol..
You act like everyone here owes you something...
Not cutting you down... just being realistic..
Nah, it's the same old story as with any other forum. A few people are just too insecure to admit when another car costing significantly less than your precious jewel comes close to or even beats it in some area of performance, you get your panties in a bunch. It's human nature I guess. The same would happen if you owned a 911 turbo or Lotus Elise and switched to the Vette. Try going over to the Lotus or Porsche forums and telling them that the Vette handles better because it beat the 911 and Elise in Car and Driver's lightning lap... or Nurbergring. I'm sure you'd get a lot of defensive immature responses there too. Why did I post my Solstice/C6 review? I knew the more mature members would find it interesting. And I'm still here because I still love Vettes... I'm just not so stuck on one car that I believe others (even ones that cost less) can't trump it in one or two areas. If you're not interested, why are you here reading it! Did someone force you into this thread?

Mike

Last edited by mikeyc6; 02-15-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 PM
calvie018
Burning Brakes

Nah, it's the same old story as with any other forum. A few people are just too insecure to admit when another car costing significantly less than your precious jewel comes close to or even beats it in some area of performance, you get your panties in a bunch. It's human nature I guess. The same would happen if you owned a 911 turbo or Lotus Elise and switched to the Vette. Try going over to the Lotus or Porsche forums and telling them that the Vette handles better because it beat the 911 and Elise in Car and Driver's lightning lap... or Nurbergring. I'm sure you'd get a lot of defensive immature responses there too. Why did I post my Solstice/C6 review? I knew the more mature members would find it interesting. And I'm still here because I still love Vettes... I'm just not so stuck on one car that I believe others (even ones that cost less) can't trump it in one or two areas. If you're not interested, why are you here reading it! Did someone force you into this thread?

Mike
I've said this a few times in the past, and I'll say it again: A true car enthusiast will respect a well engineered car...whether it's a Honda, Chevy, or <Insert Exotic Car>. The S2000 is a very well engineered car.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
DriveHappy
Advanced

Took a test drive in a S2K when I had a 2003 C5 coupe manual. Great little Honda, but so erratic. Sort of like my old and gone Triumph Spitfire vert. Yes...a go-cart next to my C5. BTW, the Honda sales rep wanted to buy my coupe outright. Needless to say, I took my C5 and traded for the C6. Wish I had the coin to have the S2K as a 2nd toy.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by calvie018
That was good
Old 02-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

uh yeah, this from a member with 970 posts, 360 posts in a thread for a freebie;

"Special Thank You! I am giving away 4 NPP/Z06 wireless exhaust Switches! Enter to Win"
Wtf is that about
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Dude, I'm 6'2" and 220lbs and I fit fine in my former '05 S2000. I also had a Honda Del Sol back in college and fit okay in that too. There wasn't a lot of extra room, but it was far from uncomfortable.

Not sure how fat someone has to be before they couldn't fit in a Del Sol or S2000.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:26 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Dude, I'm 6'2" and 220lbs and I fit fine in my former '05 S2000. I also had a Honda Del Sol back in college and fit okay in that too. There wasn't a lot of extra room, but it was far from uncomfortable.

Not sure how fat someone has to be before they couldn't fit in a Del Sol or S2000.
Not everyone is built the same... Some carry more height in different areas... It makes a difference... I'm 6'3 195lbs and I need a shoehorn to fit in a 2000... or at least two of them... one for each foot..
Old 02-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

The Cayman S got 3:09.5 versus the Soldtice's 3:15.5 on Car and Drivers's Lightning Lap. That puts the Cayman in another league why exactly? I love all these blind "cannot compare" statements from people who haven't a clue (don't have seat time in both cars).

Mike

if anyone hasn't a clue here it's op. Haven't all these repsonses shown you that. It really isn't a matter of non vette hatred but more "what are you talking about". You could have posted in other cars about your little cute Solstice and extol it's virtues but when you tried this head to head comparison to justify your major downgrade you lost all credibility.

Ted

Get notified of new replies

To S2000 vs. Vette

Old 02-15-2008, 10:24 PM
archtop
Drifting

I believe most folks on this forum are true "sports car" entusiasts and really love great automotive engineering.To understand the S2000 you need to look at its heritage.Take the time to check out this video and you'll see the S2000 has more in common with the Corvette than not,they are both great cars with great sports car heritage,the stuff we love!Thanks for listening!

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...tml?vid=204774
Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 PM
redazz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG

6'3" and 245lbs and i could only drive the s2000 with the top down(but that the best way to drive an s2000 anyway)
Old 02-16-2008, 08:46 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if anyone hasn't a clue here it's op. Haven't all these repsonses shown you that. It really isn't a matter of non vette hatred but more "what are you talking about". You could have posted in other cars about your little cute Solstice and extol it's virtues but when you tried this head to head comparison to justify your major downgrade you lost all credibility.

Ted
It is you who has lost credibility by making assumptions about cars you have likely never even driven, much less had any seat time in! You are the perfect example of people who think their Vette is unbeatable in any category unless the price tag on the competitor is over $100,000. Go out and get some seat time and experience in an S2000, Solstice GXP, or Sky Redline and then post back. Maybe you can renew some of your credibility then!

Mike

Quick Reply: S2000 vs. Vette