C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Chip Fix Wanted..Name that Product

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Cruises
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint Chip Fix Wanted..Name that Product

I remember something being mentioned some time back about a very good product to repair road chips. I checked FAQ and could not find any links. As I remember, it was a single part product, white bottle, that would fuse the existing paint to fill in the chipped area.

I found it I think at Bavarian Motorsports in NH (website under construction)when I purchased some pucks, of course, I did not need it at that time. It was called something like Klitz, or Blitz, or something like that.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:05 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

langka.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:11 AM
HPVA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try touchup123.com I don`t know if thats the same product you saw before,but it might be worth a try.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:18 AM
autox c6
Racer

As AO roads, said, Langka. Mother's makes an equivalent you can use and is easier to find locally.

If anyone wants tips on using this product, let me know. If you follow their instructions, you will fail and claim that the stuff doesn't work. I love it, and it works very well with proper technique. To make a long explanation short, let the touch up paint dry for a few hours, at least, before using the product. The instructions usually tell you to wait only a few minutes to an hour, and that's not nearly long enough.

Also, if you have metallic paint, forget it. This method doesn't work well.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There are a couple different brands of paint pens that are sometimes recommended but I wouldn't suggest using them. A large fluorescent light bulb in my garage came loose and dropped about 12' onto the hood of my car causing a few dings in the paint (what are the odds a light bulb will pop out?). I tried one of those paint pens (with the clear coat pen) and was disappointed in the color match. I had the correct magnetic red color but it didn't match...it was way too dark.

IMO if you want it done right...take your car to a quality body shop.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by AORoads
langka.

http://www.langka.com/
Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
autox c6
Racer

I just checked out touchup123.com and they seem to have a similar process to Langka/Mothers, except that they have added some "specially treated paints that can be applied like a wax" that you apply to the whole panel affected by chips. Probably a lot faster than the Langka method, but I would think the quality of the chip fill would be better if done with "real" touch up paint.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 PM
prs62
Pro

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by Cruises
I remember something being mentioned some time back about a very good product to repair road chips. I checked FAQ and could not find any links. As I remember, it was a single part product, white bottle, that would fuse the existing paint to fill in the chipped area.

I found it I think at Bavarian Motorsports in NH (website under construction)when I purchased some pucks, of course, I did not need it at that time. It was called something like Klitz, or Blitz, or something like that.
I think you might be looking for Quixx sold by Bavarian Autosport in NH (www.bavauto.com). It's really for scratches but I guess it can be used on a chip filled with touch-up paint.
"Quixx scratch remover from Germany - now available in North America! Not a filler or colorizer, it actually re-blends your paint and clear coat to remove scratches and scuff marks quickly and reliably - even on metallic finishes."
Another link:
http://www.quixxusa.com/

Last edited by prs62; 02-12-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:51 PM
autox c6
Racer

"Re-blends your paint?" Holy crap, I would never try that based on the description!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by talon90
I tried Langka on another car and ended up with a bad-looking flat dot. How did you use it successfully?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For Black cars, black sharpie will work on small chips, in the latest Vette Fever Magazine it has an article about using fingernail polish to repair chips, hundreds of colors and are very cheap.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:24 PM
autox c6
Racer

Originally Posted by adias
I tried Langka on another car and ended up with a bad-looking flat dot. How did you use it successfully?
Was it a metallic color? I found it to work unsatisfactorily on metallic colors. The reason, I found, was that the metallic content in the paint floats to the surface when you fill in your chip. Since the Langka method is based on filling in the chip then leveling the excess off, most of the metallic content gets rubbed off, and you end up with a flat dot that doesn't match.

On solid colors, I have found that it works really well. You have to use multiple applications of the touch-up into the chip to be sure you end up with a "bulge" of paint filling in the chip. Each layer needs time to cure. Once the touch up paint is reasonably cured (at least a few hours in warm weather) the Langka is used to bring the bulge down to the level of the rest of the paint. If you don't give the paint enough time to cure, the Langka will remove too much and leave you with a dip. I wrap a thin microfiber cloth around a credit card and hold it taught, put a small amount of Langka on the center of the flat area, and rub the bulge of paint until it's level with the rest of the paint. The credit card's flat surface prevents the Langka from scooping the touch up paint out of the chip, and this is why the rag must be kept taught on the card. When you get there, it's already 90% invisible. A little polish and wax, and you're there. Be sure to work slowly when polishing down the bulge, and use very little pressure and product.

And here's the interesting part... Langka isn't really required. I've used everything from scratch remover polish to Goo-Gone. The point is, the touch up paint is much softer than the rest of the paint. So any mild solvent or solvent-based based polish will work...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:33 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
There are a couple different brands of paint pens that are sometimes recommended but I wouldn't suggest using them. A large fluorescent light bulb in my garage came loose and dropped about 12' onto the hood of my car causing a few dings in the paint (what are the odds a light bulb will pop out?). I tried one of those paint pens (with the clear coat pen) and was disappointed in the color match. I had the correct magnetic red color but it didn't match...it was way too dark.

IMO if you want it done right...take your car to a quality body shop.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default i used it

Originally Posted by HPVA
Try touchup123.com I don`t know if thats the same product you saw before,but it might be worth a try.
its the best worked perfect
Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
autox c6
Racer

Originally Posted by par34n5
its the best worked perfect
Please elaborate on the process and results.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 PM
SteveTurner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HPVA
I had some rock chips on my hood, Touchup123 filled them and you had to look real close to see any defect in the paint.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 PM
GaussianMist
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool info. I need it now. Already got lots of chips on my 3 month old vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Chip Fix Wanted..Name that Product

Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.

I have had great success with touch up paint and then using the Langka process.

It takes time and patience to slowly build up the paint layers
Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I had great success fixing a chip the size of a pencil eraser on my black '89 a few years ago before Langka or others were available. I just built up layers with touch up paint and polished them down with plain old green liquid Turtle Wax. After several sessions, I was hard pressed to even find the area. Of course, the car was black, which made things easier. I agree with previous posts that any of these repairs are more difficult on the metallics. The absolute worst is the 'white diamond' color we've had on a couple of Caddys. I won't let my wife pick that color anymore as it is impossible to touch up!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Cruises
Pro

Thank you prs62. That was exactly what I was looking for !!

Quick Reply: Paint Chip Fix Wanted..Name that Product