C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 AM
hurst
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Exhaust???

On GM's web-site in the Corvette accessories they list a Cat-Back Exhaust system, part#19172324, for $1,500. Was going to have the dealer install a set of headers when the car comes in. When i order the car should i get the Dual-Mode exhaust instead? What the difference between the two? And which one should i go with if i have headers installed. Any info would sure be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:13 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Most members that post about the dual-mode (NPP) exhaust system are happy with them, but there are a few that haven't been. But the same thing can be said for all the systems available.

Take your time and do your homework. Try to get a demo of any exhaust system you're considering before placing an order. If you don't, you're taking the risk of getting a system you may not be able to live with and could be out the cash you spent on it.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:31 AM
hurst
Intermediate

Will the headers work with either exhaust ???
Old 02-10-2008, 06:11 AM
redline_ken
Racer

I'm not sure what that part number is, but I have the GM Performance (off road) exhaust and it's great! It's made by Borla and sounds like the Stingers (loud and deep). And no drone at cruise.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 PM
urgenc
Instructor

I'm sorry if I'm embarrasing myself but what does "cat-back" mean ? Does it mean that the catalytic convertor has been removed ?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hurst
Will the headers work with either exhaust ???
Katech says you lose about 4 HP with the stock exhaust versus Corsa. A very experienced race car driver might be able to tell the difference at the end of a very long straight away but for us there is no difference. Corsa is much louder with headers, high flow cats and X-Pipe.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redline_ken
I'm not sure what that part number is, but I have the GM Performance (off road) exhaust and it's great! It's made by Borla and sounds like the Stingers (loud and deep). And no drone at cruise.
Finally !!!! someone else with the Performance exhaust. sounds mean and the way a vette should. Thanks for the info on Borla
Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

If your computer has good speakers or if you have head phones check out this video. It is forum member Modshack's car with LG headers and the NPP exhaust. Pretty nice IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJy6XLKH8E
Old 02-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by urgenc
I'm sorry if I'm embarrasing myself but what does "cat-back" mean ? Does it mean that the catalytic convertor has been removed ?
Nope, you replace everything after the catalytic convertors.......back to tailpipes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RicK T
If your computer has good speakers or if you have head phones check out this video. It is forum member Modshack's car with LG headers and the NPP exhaust. Pretty nice IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJy6XLKH8E
The only problem with all these clips, and same for most exhaust clips, is that they are taken from outside the car. 99.99% of the time you will be inside your car listening to your exhaust. An exhaust that sounds great outside, may be way too loud or drone inside the vehicle. Or, you may be surprised how quiet it is inside, and want something louder.

I've heard Borla stingers (same as GM performance exhaust) and NPP from both inside and outside. Hands down the Borla sounds better in and out of the car; meaner, more aggressive (and louder). Oh, and both drone at low RPMs. And of course with the Borlas you can't switch to a pure quiet stock sound like the NPPs. But, sound is subjective, so I'm sure there are others who would have the exact opposite opinion.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Exhaust???

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust???