C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE BlOWN?????????? HELP????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 PM
LS3 4ME
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE BlOWN?????????? HELP????

Ok I just bought my vette, first one...2005 m6 3lt fully loaded...7200 miles. Driving around town, had it for 3 weeks and of course I drive it like its meant to be driven... Gettin on it a little and I start smelling smoke. I pull over and it is smoking and knocking(sounds like ****). I am about 1 mile from home so I limp home & park it. Start loosing power steering on the way home. Look under it with flash light and there is oil everywhere. .. WTF...Knokin like a Biatch.. Pop the hood and look around... WTF..... The fkin Crankshaft pully is wobblying like it got Biatch slapped.. I check it over and the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley in place is completely out and wobeling.... WTF (WHAT THE F*CK).. I tried to screw it back in but Its hot as F*ck and it doesnt seem to be going back in.....Anyone have a clue whats going on???? Did I just bow up my motor...AHAHAHAHAah So what if I did ... time for a 427CI HMMMMMM please help???
Old 02-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Fuego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS3 4ME
Ok I just bought my vette, first one...2005 m6 3lt fully loaded...7200 miles. Driving around town, had it for 3 weeks and of course I drive it like its meant to be driven... Gettin on it a little and I start smelling smoke. I pull over and it is smoking and knocking(sounds like ****). I am about 1 mile from home so I limp home & park it. Start loosing power steering on the way home. Look under it with flash light and there is oil everywhere. .. WTF...Knokin like a Biatch.. Pop the hood and look around... WTF..... The fkin Crankshaft pully is wobblying like it got Biatch slapped.. I check it over and the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley in place is completely out and wobeling.... WTF (WHAT THE F*CK).. I tried to screw it back in but Its hot as F*ck and it doesnt seem to be going back in.....Anyone have a clue whats going on???? Did I just bow up my motor...AHAHAHAHAah So what if I did ... time for a 427CI HMMMMMM please help???
shouldn't your user name be LS2 4 me? Sorry about your prob's.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:32 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,599 Likes on 1,633 Posts

A known issue with 05s - pulley bolt backing out. There is a TSB on the fix. Surprised that the fix wasn't already done.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Corvette.C6-R
Burning Brakes

Looks like you get to take your car to the dealer.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 PM
LS3 4ME
Advanced

Default yeeeee haaaaawwwww!!!!

Dealer .... heereeeee I comeeeeeeeee!!!
.....Now mister dealer.... I really need you to put a 427ci motor in that to fix it right... By the way ... A supercharger with that will go nicely... Thank You mister Dealer
Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 PM
loubob57
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep dreaming, hope they get you fixed up.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best of luck getting this all fixed up.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by loubob57
Keep dreaming, hope they get you fixed up.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope you have some warranty left. I don't want to own a C6 out of warranty if I can help it. The cars are too complicated OR, as in the case of the crank pulley too poorly engineered, to underwrite myself.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Victoryred 08
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Let us know how things work out. Hope for you some warranty is left.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 AM
moolys
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

yes early O5s had that problem I hope you have a warrenty it sure will cost you if not
Old 02-04-2008, 10:03 AM
LS3 4ME
Advanced

Default Omg!

The dealer is stating my warranty has been out for 3 months But he said at the moment they are treating as a warranty issue.. I havent even made my first f$ckin car payment. They are having it towed in a couple of hours for free. So far we are off to a good start. Ill keep everyone posted on the progress. This sucks. Is there any way to see how hard i was driving it? The Onstar is not being paid for. Also, the engine seems ok at the moment, Its just the crank bolt thats wobbling and making noise..Would this cause oil to leak out??
Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 AM
User 020720
Race Director

Is it too late to inquire about an extended warranty since the bumper to bumper ran out?

I never buy used cars but if I did I wouldn't have bought a C6 out of warranty; too much to risk.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sorry about your troubles. Although I've heard of this happening with some post 2005 C6's, this was a known issue with very early 2005 C6. It's a little after the fact but I believe you can check the affected VIN range on the C6 FAQ's page. The 'problem' essentially is the harmonic dampener on the LS2 doesn't use a key. All of the Gen III and Gen IV V8 engines use a press-fit damper with no keyway which has been the case since the LS1 was introduced in 1997 (why GM ever changed I don't know). The crank-pulley can come loose most often causing the serpentine belt to shred, or come-off and/or worse things can happen.

You cannot successfully re-use the special torque-to-yield bolt for the crank-pulley...once the crank-pulley walks you just can't re-tighten it and go. If the consequential damage isn't severe it shouldn't be too difficult to repair but from what you describe you may have done further damage (in the future, if you have a mechanical problem it's always best to shut it down immediately...trying to make it home may make the situation infinitely worse). I believe in 2006 they included an integral friction washer in the harmonic balancer....I'd make sure they don't re-use your OEM harmonic balancer.

I sincerely hope the dealership will repair this under warranty. Good luck.

Dealer .... heereeeee I comeeeeeeeee!!!
.....Now mister dealer.... I really need you to put a 427ci motor in that to fix it right... By the way ... A supercharger with that will go nicely... Thank You mister Dealer
Good luck with that.

(IMO if you really want to do it right...get a fully forged built engine.)
Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Tkenmore
Instructor

Whats the VIN range to look out for? i just bought an 05 with 3 months of warranty remaining, i want to be careful now!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

The dealer is stating my warranty has been out for 3 months But he said at the moment they are treating as a warranty issue.. I havent even made my first f$ckin car payment. They are having it towed in a couple of hours for free. So far we are off to a good start. Ill keep everyone posted on the progress. This sucks. Is there any way to see how hard i was driving it? The Onstar is not being paid for. Also, the engine seems ok at the moment, Its just the crank bolt thats wobbling and making noise..Would this cause oil to leak out??
If it is still covered under warranty it would be a shame if the engine was so damaged they would have to replace it with a new engine. Say no more nudge,nudge,wink,wink

Get notified of new replies

To ENGINE BlOWN?????????? HELP????

Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

Just as well go for broke and slap a LS3 in it if warranty don't cover it.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Check out :http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1038771

The last 5 numbers of your VIN represent where your car falls in the production run. The first ~11,000 cars in 2005 were affected because of potential under torque of the crank shaft pulley bolt during assembly. With the pulley moving forward it could cause the oil spray you've seen. Most likely the engine is not blown and they just have to perform the TSB. If you are in the affected range they should cover it under warranty, if not, it's a crap shoot.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Tkenmore
Instructor

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Check out :http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1038771

The last 5 numbers of your VIN represent where your car falls in the production run. The first ~11,000 cars in 2005 were affected because of potential under torque of the crank shaft pulley bolt during assembly. With the pulley moving forward it could cause the oil spray you've seen. Most likely the engine is not blown and they just have to perform the TSB. If you are in the affected range they should cover it under warranty, if not, it's a crap shoot.
Thank you! my Vin is 1G1yy24u55512o884, so it looks like i am safe?

Quick Reply: ENGINE BlOWN?????????? HELP????