Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Jupoca

Default Corvette C6 RPM at idle too low

Hi,
I got a new Corvette C6 Z51 coupe 2 weks ago.
The engine speed at idle is 500 RPM.
There is a vibrating annoying noise when sitting in the car, that comes in my opinion from too low idle RPM.
I took the car to Vette dealer and asked to increase RPM at but was told that this was factory setting and they cannot modify it.

Hope someone can tell me if this is true, otherwise how to raise the PMM to 600 or 650?

Thanks,

Jupoca
Jupoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
HawaiiC6
CF Senior Member

You have a new car and the dealership refused to take care of the problem??? Go to another dealership. Your complaint should not be on the idle but the vibrating noise at idle.

The idle speed is controlled by the computer therefore a tuner will be able to raise your idle. If you have an 08 I am not sure if Diablo Predator is out for the LS3, for the 06-07 the Predator can adjust idle +400/-400 rpms.

But this is the last resort as your new car warranty MUST take care of the problem. You may have a faulty computer.
Stock Heads w/Comp Cams RPM Kit
Yella Terra 1.8 Roller Rockers
160 thermostat
Taylor wires
Vararam CAI,
Vararam Throttle Body Spacer
VMax Motorsports Ported and Polished Throttle Body
VMax Motorsports Ported Intake Manifold
CCA Oil Catch Can
Predator Modified Tune
Kooks 1 7/8" LT with Jet Hot Coating, Kooks Off Road 3" X-Pipes
Borla Stingers
HawaiiC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
02-z28
CF Senior Member

i'm curious, why do you want to raise the idle RPM...?
02-z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
HawaiiC6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GTP View Post
i'm curious, why do you want to raise the idle RPM...?
His post states that he is getting a vibrating noise at idle which he feels is being caused by a low idle speed.

The problem is that he went to the dealer and told them to raise his idle which they will not do. What he should have done is tell them of the real problem which is the annoying vibrating noise which occurs at idle speed.
Stock Heads w/Comp Cams RPM Kit
Yella Terra 1.8 Roller Rockers
160 thermostat
Taylor wires
Vararam CAI,
Vararam Throttle Body Spacer
VMax Motorsports Ported and Polished Throttle Body
VMax Motorsports Ported Intake Manifold
CCA Oil Catch Can
Predator Modified Tune
Kooks 1 7/8" LT with Jet Hot Coating, Kooks Off Road 3" X-Pipes
Borla Stingers
HawaiiC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
mpuzach
CF Senior Member

Are you sure that what you're experiencing is abnormal? These engines do exhibit a noticeable amount of "cam lope", felt as a slight vibration or shake at idle. The phenomenon I'm describing is normal so if it's the same thing you're getting my advice is to leave it alone.
mpuzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
sabooher
CF Senior Member

If it's cam lope that's normal especially on a new car. With my LS2 it was definitely noticeable until my mileage reached somewhere between 5k-10k and now I hardly notice it.

The idle seems a little low to me. My 07 idles around 600 give or take. I'm not sure what the LS3 is supposed to be though. Far as the Predator is concerned I think they're not supporting the 08 C6 just yet.
sabooher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 AM   #7
shopdog
CF Senior Member

500 RPM is too low an idle speed. It is speced at 600 RPM, and your dealer is required to correct this problem under the federal emissions warranty.
shopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
Jupoca

I told them about the vibration noise was the reason I wanted the RPM at idle to be increased. I don't know what cam lope is, but the noise at idle just produces a very annoying feeling in the ears, like if there is resonance in my head, like in a sound box. This vanishes when I push the speedup pedal (increase RPM).
Sabooher, unlike your case I did not notice this problem at the beginning.
Jupoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
C6~Missle
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupoca View Post
I told them about the vibration noise was the reason I wanted the RPM at idle to be increased. I don't know what cam lope is, but the noise at idle just produces a very annoying feeling in the ears, like if there is resonance in my head, like in a sound box. This vanishes when I push the speedup pedal (increase RPM).
Sabooher, unlike your case I did not notice this problem at the beginning.
The ECM controls the idle speed.. How many miles on your car... My 08 ran a bit rough when I first got it.. but soon smoothed out with some miles..
C6~Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
FortMorganAl
CF Senior Member

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL

A rough idle is not right. Usually caused by using cheap gas. My 07 is smooth as glass. One of the smoothest cars I've ever owned.

But you aren't complaining about a vibration as much as a resonance or rumble. That makes me suspecious of the exhaust system. Maybe a loose hanger.

You tried to tell the dealer how to solve the problem not knowing he couldn't do what you wanted. Just tell them you want the resopnance fixed and let them fix it.
FortMorganAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:50 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Corvette C6 RPM at idle too low

Tags
2008, 2010, c6, cam, corvette, idle, idles, idling, lope, low, ls3, problems, raise, rpm, speed, stock, vibration