C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Paint Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:04 PM
FLHXI06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Paint Problems

I have a black '08 coupe. I have found some 6 to 8 paint blemishes. They are circular in shape and under the clearcoat. They can only be seen when the light hits them right but they are there. I ahve found them on the area behind the removable top, just above the fuel door, and on the right rear quarter panel. Was curious if anyone else has seen any issues. A flourescent light works well to see the blems too. Right now I have a dilema as well. The dealer is aware of the problem and keeps telling me GM wants my complete satisfaction. I do not think I will ever be satisfied with a repaired paintjob. Any thoughts or advice if greatly appreciated. FYI car was delivered at the end of August.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:45 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 08 black coupe. I to have paint problems. I also had paint problems on my 05 coupe, my 03 coupe, my 79 coupe and my 77 coupe. Corvettes and bad factory paint jobs are a matter of fact. I guess at this price point it's impossible to get a good factory paint job.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 PM
speedo972
Cruising

Default Paint problem

I have a Black 08 also and the rear quarter pannel around the trunk lit has gray area about 4X6 area. Took to the dealership they said they would repaint the quarter pannel.. I am wondering if that is a good idea since it would not be the same after a year or so. Advice???

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2008, 02:01 PM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There really isn't a good reason to get a poor paint job.

For the price GM charges, you should get a great paint job. Some talk like $60,000.00 for a car is cheap. No, you should get a good paint job! I'm not saying your going to get a good one but we can always hope.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Darth_Vader
Pro

I have learned to go with a statement someone said to me a while ago.

"If you have a Black car, throw away your flourescent lights. They will only bring heartache."

Sad, but true.......
Old 01-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Vette Nut
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Darth_Vader

"If you have a Black car, throw away your flourescent lights. They will only bring heartache."

Sad, but true.......

Old 01-19-2008, 04:01 PM
FLHXI06
Advanced

Originally Posted by coolcat
I have a 08 black coupe. I to have paint problems. I also had paint problems on my 05 coupe, my 03 coupe, my 79 coupe and my 77 coupe. Corvettes and bad factory paint jobs are a matter of fact. I guess at this price point it's impossible to get a good factory paint job.
what problems are you having?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:02 PM
FLHXI06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Darth_Vader

Sad, but true.......
Thats no excuse for GM to get off the hook.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:03 PM
FLHXI06
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedo972
I have a Black 08 also and the rear quarter pannel around the trunk lit has gray area about 4X6 area. Took to the dealership they said they would repaint the quarter pannel.. I am wondering if that is a good idea since it would not be the same after a year or so. Advice???

Thanks,
Dont settle for a repaint. I dont think I will either. I didnt buy a repainted car. I think Im gonna push for a replacement car.
Get the local GM rep involved. Dont settle for the local bodyshop.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:08 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

My educated opinion says you should just live with it. If you take it to the dealer there is a good chance that you will be even more unsatisfied when they swirl your entire car trying to fix the limited issues you have now. It's a black car. They take a LOT of work to keep them looking good. No big deal, just live with it. Chances are you are the only one who will notice other than someone else who is just as particular.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:16 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by FLHXI06
what problems are you having?
Orange peel.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Darth_Vader
Pro

Originally Posted by cerino2000
My educated opinion says you should just live with it. If you take it to the dealer there is a good chance that you will be even more unsatisfied when they swirl your entire car trying to fix the limited issues you have now. It's a black car. They take a LOT of work to keep them looking good. No big deal, just live with it. Chances are you are the only one who will notice other than someone else who is just as particular.
Totally agree.

As for paint quality, I doubt it is only GM. I know it isn't much of a excuse, but that is just how it is....
Old 01-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats bull. You pay top $$$ for a new car, you should get a new car. Great paint and all.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:47 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

If any one gets a new car from GM because of some paint blemishes it would be a miracle.....my car isn't perfect either, I just live with it....I can't see the paint from behind the wheel and no one ever inspects the car real close anyways....they just look at it, say "beautiful car", and are on their way.....
Old 01-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55

I agree.............Go drive it and enjoy .......
Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Let me get this straight, you want a new replacement car for a few paint blems that you've had since August 07?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:22 PM
FLHXI06
Advanced

Originally Posted by sabooher
Let me get this straight, you want a new replacement car for a few paint blems that you've had since August 07?
why should I settle for a repainted car?
answer that

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Paint Problems

Old 01-19-2008, 05:26 PM
FLHXI06
Advanced

If thats the case it will qualify for a lemon in IL.
They get 3 chances to fix it. If not they MUST buy the car back
I wont settle for inferior paint. Why should i?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
dknight129
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Im not sure about the Il Lemon Laws. In Texas they are for mechanical defects only. You should inspect the car closely for cosmetic imperfections before purchasing.

Once you drive the car off the lot it is yours. For all anyone know you could have already had the car repainted.

Just my .02.

I do feel for you but I don't think you will get anywhere. IF they are willing to repaint it for free, you must now decided if you want it repainted.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:40 PM
EggrollXpress61
Instructor

Dude, you bought a CORVETTE not a Lamborghini or Bentley. To get that impeccable and perfect pant job finish with no orange peel etc, you're going to have to spend more than 50k or get the paint wet sanded. High end cars are sanded and polished in the factory. Mass manufacturers (GM, Honda, Toyota) dont do it because it costs too much. If they did do it, you would be paying more for it than you did. They also use cheaper quality paint to keep the price down, otherwise you would be paying a lot more for a corvette. So you really arent entitled to that ultra luxury perfect paint finish, because your money only bought you standard paint. Sorry to break it to you..... Just live with it or pay a lot to get your car paint redone with ultra high quality paint.

Quick Reply: 2008 Paint Problems