C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratch-like lines in the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:56 AM
hyperjoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch-like lines in the windshield

All,

I'm not sure how it happened, but sometime between when I moved from CA to ND (24 Oct) (I know, poor C6), and the prior Sunday (6 Jan) when I took it for its last drive before summertime (temps were in the mid-40s that day so I had to get it some exercise and wash it), some vertical lines appeared on the passenger side of my windshield (my drivers' side already has a trio of rock chips from CA driving).

I washed the car later that day and it doesn't appear that solved the streak/scratch mark problem. I had the car covered from early december through the day I drove it. I'm concerned about what caused it, but I don't think I can figure it out.

Any suggestions?

JR
Old 01-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Maybe some pebbles/dirt/sand caught in the windshield wiper? Hard to tell with no pics.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Noticed a couple in mine about 6 mos. months back, as well. One day while I was driving, the sun hit the windshield just right and I saw them. Got really mad about it, knowing I keep the car detailed better than showroom.

Can only chalk it up to "PWQC" (poor windshield quality control). Finally said screw it and forgot about it.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:14 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

If the lines are vertical, it wouldn't be caused by the wipers. It sounds more like something that happened while washing it by hand, or using a squeegee.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:31 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

....or a local cat with sharp claws perhaps?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Lots of Vettes get this - you've etched the glass somehow - either via dirt/pebbles on the wipers or in whatever you used to wash the glass. It is permanent, I'm afraid. I have a couple on mine when I used the wipers to remove some cr*p from the glass - oops. Nothing to do about it except accept it.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 AM
PAvetter
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetdude
....or a local cat with sharp claws perhaps?
I wouldn't want to run into that cat!!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

We need pics but... Have you ever applied any coating to the windshield? Sometimes wax which is easily scratched off on glass can look like a scratch in the glass but is easy to remove. Can you catch a fingernail on the scratches?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by MNVette
Lots of Vettes get this - you've etched the glass somehow - either via dirt/pebbles on the wipers or in whatever you used to wash the glass. It is permanent, I'm afraid. I have a couple on mine when I used the wipers to remove some cr*p from the glass - oops. Nothing to do about it except accept it.
If he didn't do it, as in my case, lets not forget the great dealership "detail guy", who could win the prize.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

After thinking about this for awhile, I think I've discovered the root of your scratch problem:

Are the scratches on the passenger side? Bet you dollar-to-a-donut it was done by the dealer prep dude using a razor blade to remove the window sticker or other documents from inside the windshield (placed in that spot by the factory on all Vettes). One has to be very careful when using a razor blade on the glass since it will gouge it if not done properly. Happened to a '98 C5 I bought new.

Last edited by vetdude; 01-14-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM
hyperjoe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
Maybe some pebbles/dirt/sand caught in the windshield wiper? Hard to tell with no pics.

Would putting a car cover on the car with stuff like that on the windshield (unbeknownst to me) cause that type of issue over the period of a few weeks?

I surmise I'll just have to live with it until I have to get a new windshield?

That sucks male body parts...
Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by vetdude
After thinking about this for awhile, I think I've discovered the root of your scratch problem:

Are the scratches on the passenger side? Bet you dollar-to-a-donut it was done by the dealer prep dude using a razor blade to remove the window sticker or other documents from inside the windshield (placed in that spot by the factory on all Vettes). One has to be very careful when using a razor blade on the glass since it will gouge it if not done properly. Happened to a '98 C5 I bought new.
BIINGO!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

My first C6Z had a scratch. The dealer paid a guy to come to my work and polish it out. He did a perfect job. All I had to do was wash the powder off when i got home.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try the polishing method with a buffer...however, be forewarned...on one of my old Mustangs I had a guy who came out to buff out some horizontal hairline scratches in the windshield (could not feel them with your fingernail)...he used a cerium oxide paste with a high speed buffer. He got the scratches out and I paid him his $60. After I washed the Stang, I pulled out of the driveway and low and behold I had a 6 inch horizontal width of DISTORTION in my windshield...needless to say, I ended up replacing the windshied. Now, my current Mustang GT has a small 4 inch hairline scratch just below my field of vision and I will not chance trying to get that buffed out again (I only see when the light hits it at certain angles). And believe me I am just as careful (as far as detailing) with the Stang as I am with the Vette.

The point is...if someone does buff out your windshield, they had best know what they're doing...it doesn't take much to cause distortion in your windshield...be very careful.

Get notified of new replies

To Scratch-like lines in the windshield

Quick Reply: Scratch-like lines in the windshield