C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kind of Makes You Wonder

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:58 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kind of Makes You Wonder

I've read many of the threads about whether to keep Run-Flat tires or change to a non-run flat. I will need to replace my tires soon but I hadn't quite made up my mind about what to do. I must say that I've been leaning toward keeping the Run-Flats and after what I saw today, I think I'm on the Run-Flat side of the fence.

I live in a canyon and there's a single two lane road to get in and out. When I left the house this afternoon in the pouring rain (in my pickup), I passed a C5 driver working on the front wheel of his car. He had a flat and boy was he getting soaked and dirty laying on the ground. When I returned home, I passed the C5 still sitting on the side of the road on a jack and the front wheel was gone. I guess the driver couldn't fix the flat and had to take the wheel somewhere for repair.

Those Run-Flats are looking pretty good to me now for sure.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:02 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, run-flats are great when there is a flat, I should now as it got me home. The negative is the cost and the hard ride.

What others have not realized also is that the Vette is low to begin with and when a tire goes flat the car will be even lower. The car does not come with a jack so if you are going to conventional tires you better be sure the jack you place in your hatch can fit under your car. Also jacking pads should either be installed or readily available.

Tire sealant, not a good idea to use due to your TPMS.

I initially was going to conventional but I think I will be staying with the run flats.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 PM
HBJG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Stock Ride-Run Flats are the way to go

I posted this on a thread regarding Firestone Wide Oval RFTs - so depending on your suspension and budget, I thought you might find my opinion to be of some assistance :

I have close to 4K miles on my FS RFTs and they provide a very smooth & quiet ride. However, I will replace them with the GY SCs before this summer because she just doesn't "feel" like a Z51 package anymore. The SCs definitely provide more grip in the turns and I love that low, choppy feeling in my Vette. The SCs inspire more confidence when I want to zip around corners & play on the freeway. If you have the base or F55 suspension, then I believe the FS RFTs would be a superior tire (cost, ride, comfort and probably comparable wear) but an inferior one for the Z51 - Hope that helps...
Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Wethingtonvette8093
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah it does kinda make you wonder...

Nice of you to stop and help... how sad
Old 01-05-2008, 10:39 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would stay with the OEM TPC tire.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wethingtonvette8093
Yeah it does kinda make you wonder...

Nice of you to stop and help... how sad
As a matter of fact, I slowed to a stop next to him and he motioned for me to move along indicating to me that he had everything under control. I had one of those big golf umbrellas in my truck that I was at least going to stand over him to keep him from getting so wet but as I said, he indicated he needed no help. My first thought at that time was that he had already called someone to come to the location. Since this road is about 2 winding miles before you get to where anything is, I'm sure he didn't carry that wheel down the hill.

Last edited by quickride; 01-05-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HawaiiC6
Yes, run-flats are great when there is a flat, I should now as it got me home. The negative is the cost and the hard ride. ....
It depends on what your reference is. The runflats I have on my C6 are not any harder than the Michelin Pilot Sports I had on my Porsche. I would bet that if I would mount Michelin Pilot Sports on the C6 they would be harder.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Wethingtonvette8093
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by quickride
As a matter of fact, I slowed to a stop next to him and he motioned for me to move along indicating to me that he had everything under control. I had one of those big golf umbrellas in my truck that I was at least going to stand over him to keep him from getting so wet but as I said, he indicated he needed no help. My first thought at that time was that he had already called someone to come to the location. Since this road is about 2 winding miles before you get to where anything is, I'm sure he didn't carry that wheel down the hill.
awesome, my appoligies. a lot of people dont stop and its a pet peeve of mine, I do my best to stop for anyone, especially vettes.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Unless you need the non-run flats to get maximum performance (almost impossible to achieve on the street) run-flats are good enough. Maybe 1% of all Corvettes ever made are ever driven to 100% of their capability, and most of those are road racing cars. IMO the GY SC tires will give you more performance than you will ever need on the road. And they will get you home if you do pick up a nail... I've had two nails in my C6 and it was nice not to worry about having to find instant repair. On my 2003 Z06 I crossed my fingers every time I had to drive outside the city. There are places in central TX that hardly ever see a Corvette, I don't need Bubba lifting my Vette even if he thinks he can...
Old 01-05-2008, 10:51 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I went over a decade without a flat. I've had two since I bought the Vette, one in each rear tire. I'm sticking with the run flats, and at 13K I'm within 1-2 K of the wear bars.

On the fence as to which ones though...
Old 01-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Something else to consider...... If the tire has to be dismounted to be repaired or if it can not be repaired and has to be replaced.

The EMTs have their disadvantages but without a jack and the possibility of having to replace a tire that is most likely not in stock I'll stick with the EMTs

Get notified of new replies

To Kind of Makes You Wonder

Quick Reply: Kind of Makes You Wonder