C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Young girl rear-ended my parked Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta love it when some tool hits a parked car.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:00 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AO-08
This is the best advise I read on this entire thread... see who's laughing then!
Then again, it might be sue her for what? I think if she is under 18 then you can sue her parents but she probably doesn't have much money in the first place.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by glenkov48
Yep, it sucks, and you'll probably never be happy with the results. But, you have to be really proactive in order to get as much as you deserve. Personally, I would have the car towed to Cormier Chevy--they advertise as being the largest Corvette dealer on the west coast, which I believe is true, as they have up to 100 vette's in stock at different times, and they are close to you. I would rent a comperable car. You may have to pay up front, but you will get it back. I would talk to the dealer's general manager and let him know that if the car is totaled, you will be buying a new one, probably from him, and could he oversee the repair estimate?
Be civil with the girl's insurance, but let them know the clock is running on the rental car and you are not going to be bullied.
Sorry in advance for grammer and spelling!

I can have it towed to any shop I want. A big Chevy dealer sounds about right. Thanks in advance.

San
Old 01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by toro1966
Sorry to hear about your accident, I know if it were me there would have been more than a few choice expletives spewing from my mouth. Glad that you're O.K. and best of luck with having her totaled! Out of curiosity, when did you retire from the Air Force? Just wondering why you don't have USAA. No better Insurance company in my opinion. Cheers and best of luck!
Yeah, retired Air Force here. Not liking what Geico is feeding me. I'll likely be changing soon. Cursing wouldn't have cut it. Choking wasn't even going to calm me. Seeing your car jacked up on a tow truck leaving you in the cold (California cold, it's relative) is a bitch. I looked out the window this morning and noticed it had rained. I imagined my vette with water beaded up on it. Then I realized I had a Corolla in the parking lot and I had not idea where my vette was. Sucked.

San
Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 PM
DocJackson1
Instructor

if your car isn't totaled, i would sue her and the car owner for the diminished value of your car after she damaged your car. even if they fix your car good as new, you will loose 10-15% of the value of your car, as you already know. the same happened to my wife's boxster. her insurance company will call you when you sue her and try to convince you that you will not lose any money, but don't buy it, as they will probably have to defend that law suit also. sue her-make her pay for your loss and inconvenience.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:31 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DocJackson1
if your car isn't totaled, i would sue her and the car owner for the diminished value of your car after she damaged your car. even if they fix your car good as new, you will loose 10-15% of the value of your car, as you already know. the same happened to my wife's boxster. her insurance company will call you when you sue her and try to convince you that you will not lose any money, but don't buy it, as they will probably have to defend that law suit also. sue her-make her pay for your loss and inconvenience.
Thanks for the advice.

San
Old 01-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Wraped N Glass
Intermediate

Sorry to hear that. I just had a 90 year old tap me from the back as well. My .2 get everything fixed right the first time. If the shop thinks it needs to be fixed call the insurance company right away. I also saved every part that was replace just in case.I also got got a direct contact number for the adjuster. I called him gave him all my contact info so there was no loss of communication. Good luck
Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

As bad as the damage is, what really upset me was the attitude the driver displayed [per your comments]. No apology, just laughing about it with her girl friends.
I would discuss this situation with an attorney, and make sure that it is resolved to your satisfaction and that you are not out any money later when its time to sell it.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

My Corvette will be towed to a large Chevy dealership tomorrow morning. I hope to know more soon. Thanks to all for you comments and advice.

San
Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by glenkov48
Yep, it sucks, and you'll probably never be happy with the results. But, you have to be really proactive in order to get as much as you deserve. Personally, I would have the car towed to Cormier Chevy--they advertise as being the largest Corvette dealer on the west coast, which I believe is true, as they have up to 100 vette's in stock at different times, and they are close to you. I would rent a comperable car. You may have to pay up front, but you will get it back. I would talk to the dealer's general manager and let him know that if the car is totaled, you will be buying a new one, probably from him, and could he oversee the repair estimate?
Be civil with the girl's insurance, but let them know the clock is running on the rental car and you are not going to be bullied.
Sorry in advance for grammer and spelling!
My car is being towed to a large Chevy dealer Monday morning. I just happened to be driving by today. Thanks for the advice. We'll see what happens.

San
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 PM
ryshla3
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
You don't have to accept what the insurance offers. You can always sue the girl for actual damages....
Wrong, if he sues her, her insurance company would then defend the suit he brings against her. Basic insurance principles 101 here, (I'm a damage appraiser for 16 yrs, this is how it would work.) The insurance company would simply state that they made a good faith offer already and it would end there. However I would assume the damages are over the threshold of small claims court anyway, and what's San to do? Hire an attorney to tell him that he needs to file a claim through her coverage. Why should he pay an attorney an exorbitant amount, only to have that attorney tell him he would be bound by the judges decision anyway.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

My dog is snoozing now and looks similar.

San
Old 01-06-2008, 10:16 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Yeah, retired Air Force here. Not liking what Geico is feeding me. I'll likely be changing soon. Cursing wouldn't have cut it. Choking wasn't even going to calm me. Seeing your car jacked up on a tow truck leaving you in the cold (California cold, it's relative) is a bitch. I looked out the window this morning and noticed it had rained. I imagined my vette with water beaded up on it. Then I realized I had a Corolla in the parking lot and I had not idea where my vette was. Sucked.

San
San,
I'm retired Air Force also. Dump the Gecco after all this is done. They are about useless. A bunch of my Airmen had nothing but problems with them. I heard they hate dealing with anyone with a sporty car and I believe they tried to deny coverage to one of their customers that had a radar detector. Good luck.

Dave
Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
San,
I'm retired Air Force also. Dump the Gecco after all this is done. They are about useless. A bunch of my Airmen had nothing but problems with them. I heard they hate dealing with anyone with a sporty car and I believe they tried to deny coverage to one of their customers that had a radar detector. Good luck.

Dave
I'm already leaning to do that. I have USAA for life insurance and will compare rates once this is sorted out. Gieco kinda screwed me years ago when it wasn't my fault. Funny, you can get 100 Air Force members together to sing the Air Force anthem and five Marines will drown them out. Nothing against the Air Force, we fight smarter. But Semper Fi to all the Marines.

San
Old 01-06-2008, 10:26 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Not sure. But she admitted she was "reaching across the passenger seat for her skateboard." WTF? She was planning on skateboarding in the car?

San
I'm sorry but, the mental image of a kid trying to skate board in a car .....................................
Old 01-06-2008, 10:35 PM
ryshla3
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My dog is snoozing now and looks similar.

San
Dude, just PM if you need help filing a claim. Heck, I'll even give you my work number, you can call me at my office (which is a nice lovely mini-van that I get to drive around in all day while I write 6 or 7 estimates a day for the ins. company I work for.) Mostly at shops too. You heard all the "advice" here on this thread, now get the correct info you need from me. I have Audatex's complete database of parts and labor for your car and every other car for sale in America as well for that matter. Very hard total a new expensive car. Unfortunately for you, and I do feel your pain, you cannot successfully MAKE either your or her insurance company total your car at your whim. That sounds nice, and is what you want (I would too), but outside in the real world away from CFOT, there are laws that must be followed when settling first or third party property damage claims. You can pound salt all you want, hire attorneys all you want (and try to find one to take your case w/o charging you an arm and leg, seriously they will tell you outright you have no chance and will gladly take your money too, but seek advice to at least put yourself at ease), if the insurance company makes a good faith offer to pay you for the repairs needed, that's all you will end up with my friend. If that's the case and you don't want the car after that, make arrangements to try and sell the existing salvage for as much as you can get.

Diminished Value a continual dream here at CFOT, does not exist.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:41 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by btc624
Go back to driving your ricer, your not only showing your age but IQ as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Young girl rear-ended my parked Corvette

Old 01-06-2008, 10:43 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ryshla3
Dude, just PM if you need help filing a claim. Heck, I'll even give you my work number, you can call me at my office (which is a nice lovely mini-van that I get to drive around in all day while I write 6 or 7 estimates a day for the ins. company I work for.) Mostly at shops too. You heard all the "advice" here on this thread, now get the correct info you need from me. I have Audatex's complete database of parts and labor for your car and every other car for sale in America as well for that matter. Very hard total a new expensive car. Unfortunately for you, and I do feel your pain, you cannot successfully MAKE either your or her insurance company total your car at your whim. That sounds nice, and is what you want (I would too), but outside in the real world away from CFOT, there are laws that must be followed when settling first or third party property damage claims. You can pound salt all you want, hire attorneys all you want (and try to find one to take your case w/o charging you an arm and leg, seriously they will tell you outright you have no chance and will gladly take your money too, but seek advice to at least put yourself at ease), if the insurance company makes a good faith offer to pay you for the repairs needed, that's all you will end up with my friend. If that's the case and you don't want the car after that, make arrangements to try and sell the existing salvage for as much as you can get.

Diminished Value a continual dream here at CFOT, does not exist.
Thanks. And I mean that. I wasn't optimistic, but every dog has his day, and I was hoping for a break. I'd hate to lose 8-10K because some dumbass girl rammed my car. It might be inevitable.

San
Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
San,
What pisses me off about the whole thing is the girl's and her friends attitude from what you said about her. I really hope that her insurance rates get jacked up.

Good luck!
She most likely had liability only. That is flat rate. So, no rate increase.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by AO-08
This is the best advise I read on this entire thread... see who's laughing then!
Ummmmm, considering the cost to get a judgment, etc, etc against her ......................... Say she's single, works at the local taco hut, you get the idea. Hard to get blood from a turnip. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Young girl rear-ended my parked Corvette