C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital OnStar upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Tahoe Dave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital OnStar upgrade

I recently purchased my 05 Coupe and discovered that I need to upgrade my OnStar to digital. I called my local Chevrolet dealer who said they have to order the part. I was quoted $15 for the part and $199 for a one year subscription. I know this has been reviewed on this site previously however, I did not recall if the $199 was found to be negotiable? The dealer said that the $199 is what they are charged and it was a "pass through".

Thanks in advance for a reply...
Old 12-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I believe the $199 is from OnStar directly, not the Dealer. As such, I don't think its negotiable with the Dealer.

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
I recently purchased my 05 Coupe and discovered that I need to upgrade my OnStar to digital. I called my local Chevrolet dealer who said they have to order the part. I was quoted $15 for the part and $199 for a one year subscription. I know this has been reviewed on this site previously however, I did not recall if the $199 was found to be negotiable? The dealer said that the $199 is what they are charged and it was a "pass through".
Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I believe the $199 is from OnStar directly, not the Dealer. As such, I don't think its negotiable with the Dealer.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine done and it was not even a discussion. However, be prepared to get less than stellar reception. I was a bit disappointed. In obscure places, I could get a much better signal with the analog. Since going digital, and in those same obscure areas, I lose the call.
I also noticed with the analog system, I would get a ring on my speakers with an incoming call, with digital the radio just goes silent and the word "Phone" comes up on the HU display.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Fastcat3
Racer

I had Onstar for the first year. Not once was I able to talk on the phone service through Onstar while driving. The only way I could use it was when I parked the car and put it in accessory mode. If analog was bad and digital is worse they should upgrade for $15 and charge us like $29 a year because that it about all it is worth. No upgrades to digital for me unless the price drops a lot.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastcat3
I had Onstar for the first year. Not once was I able to talk on the phone service through Onstar while driving. The only way I could use it was when I parked the car and put it in accessory mode. If analog was bad and digital is worse they should upgrade for $15 and charge us like $29 a year because that it about all it is worth. No upgrades to digital for me unless the price drops a lot.
I haven't had one bit of a problem... strong signal, works terrific!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:43 PM
bald
Intermediate

I called Onstar today also and was quoted what you were and a $100 connection fee. I also have a 2005 coupe which I recently purchased. They don't want our business.

Does anyone know if you can hook the no hands mic to a at&t cell phone?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Grzldvt

I had mine done and it was not even a discussion. However, be prepared to get less than stellar reception. I was a bit disappointed. In obscure places, I could get a much better signal with the analog. Since going digital, and in those same obscure areas, I lose the call.
I also noticed with the analog system, I would get a ring on my speakers with an incoming call, with digital the radio just goes silent and the word "Phone" comes up on the HU display.
I've read about these changes in the way Onstar operates for different model years. I have an '05 that I had the digital upgrade completed on. When I get an incoming call, the ring does indeed come through my speakers and the radio is muted just as it did before. Perhaps there's a problem with yours.

Other members have said that their cars do not display the phone number on the DIC after you recite it. My DIC displays the phone number I'm calling even before it is repeated from my speakers. Again, this is the way it worked before the upgrade. It appears that the years '06 thru '08 have had things changed from the '05 models.

Finally, I haven't noticed any difference in call quality between the analog and digital systems. I do like being able to recite the entire phone number to the digital system as opposed to saying a single digit at a time on the old analog system.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Sparkman
Advanced

Default Digital was an improvement for me...

My anolog Onstar gear got such poor reception, I figured anything would be an improvement. I rarely use it, so it didn't much matter. I went ahead and upgraded just in case I sell the car, and as it turns out, the digital gear was much clearer. It probably just depends on the cellular coverage in the location you're using it.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My OnStar phone service works great. In fact, I've been in remote areas where several different cell phones (with different carriers) could not get out...the OnStar phone did.

I suppose you could try negotiating the renewal price (all they can say is no). I thought for the pennies a day it cost it was well worth it.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by quickride
I've read about these changes in the way Onstar operates for different model years. I have an '05 that I had the digital upgrade completed on. When I get an incoming call, the ring does indeed come through my speakers and the radio is muted just as it did before. Perhaps there's a problem with yours.

Other members have said that their cars do not display the phone number on the DIC after you recite it. My DIC displays the phone number I'm calling even before it is repeated from my speakers. Again, this is the way it worked before the upgrade. It appears that the years '06 thru '08 have had things changed from the '05 models.

Finally, I haven't noticed any difference in call quality between the analog and digital systems. I do like being able to recite the entire phone number to the digital system as opposed to saying a single digit at a time on the old analog system.
Mine is an 05, so I guess I will have to call myself and see what happens again.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 AM
als2052
Burning Brakes

I discontinued my service... why pay for their shortminded screw up...
Old 01-01-2008, 10:09 AM
lapdoc2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave

Thanks in advance for a reply...
I puchased an 05 last week and discovered the same situation when I tried to activate Onstar. I have a 04 Chevy PU with Onstar and it has the digital. If they had the forsight to put digital in a 04 PU why not a 05 Vette?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by Grzldvt

Do the 08's have digital? Because I get a ring on my speakers with an incoming call.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
Do the 08's have digital? Because I get a ring on my speakers with an incoming call.
yes
Old 01-01-2008, 11:14 AM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quickride

EXACTLY the same for me - it rings, number is displayed, and reception is terrific.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:42 AM
71stang99
Drifting

Is my math correct?

$15 for the part
$100 fee for connecting
$199 for 1 year of service?

What does one get for $199?

thanks
Old 01-01-2008, 12:22 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 71stang99
Is my math correct?

$15 for the part
$100 fee for connecting
$199 for 1 year of service?

What does one get for $199?

thanks
I wasn't charged $100 for connection, just the $15 [part] and the $199, which is a one-year pre-pay for the service.

That means, $199 / 12 months = $16.58/month service......

Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 PM
afterfive
7th Gear

Default OnStarPricing

How are you guys getting 15.00 plus 199.00 on upgrade? I was told additional 100.00 because it wasn't active back in december of 07. I bought the car in May and activated right away and they still want to charge me. Even though it is still and active number i told them to stick it!!!!!!!. Maybe they will change there mines later on .But i think that stinks!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Digital OnStar upgrade

Quick Reply: Digital OnStar upgrade