C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Kept Auto Secret

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:10 PM
DennyBlueC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Kept Auto Secret

The Worlds Best Kept Auto Secret

I have been Driving for decades. One would think I would have noticed
The little secret on my dash that was staring me right in the face the
Whole time. I didn't and I bet you probably haven't either.

Quick Question! What side of your car is your gas tank filler? If you are anything
Like me driving several different vehicles, you probably can't remember
Right away. I've stuck my head out the window to look, usually to no
Avail . . .. Especially on rental and borrowed cars.

If you look at Your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump. The handle of The gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the
Pump. If your tank filler is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If
Your tank filler is on the right, the handle will be on the right.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Je zz C6
Burning Brakes

Never thought about it, but thanks for the info
Old 12-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Any car that doesn't have the gas filler on the drivers side should be redesigned. Anybody's passenger's offer to fill their car for them?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:15 PM
ryshla3
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just checked mine and the light shows the handle on the right side but the fuel filler door and neck are on the left side.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
0SicMSP - Daniel
Former Vendor

some have arrows to show you
Old 12-28-2007, 03:18 PM
degaux
Drifting

Originally Posted by ryshla3
I just checked mine and the light shows the handle on the right side but the fuel filler door and neck are on the left side.
...was in St. Louis just before Christmas and had a lovely Kia Rio as a rental... the light was on the right, but the fuel door was on the left
Old 12-28-2007, 03:20 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dpenate
some have arrows to show you
The European cars have arrows point to which side the fuel filler door is. Something American manufacturers should be doing. But on the Vette it is easy, pop the filler door and you will now be able to see it in your mirror.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ryshla3
So much for that theory.....
Old 12-28-2007, 03:21 PM
DennyBlueC6
Racer

4-Runner shows the the handle on the right & a arrow that points to the left (< Fuel Door)
Old 12-28-2007, 03:24 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:26 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HawaiiC6
The European cars have arrows point to which side the fuel filler door is. Something American manufacturers should be doing. But on the Vette it is easy, pop the filler door and you will now be able to see it in your mirror.
Actually my C6 does have a little arrow next to the fuel icon pointing to the left.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
Any car that doesn't have the gas filler on the drivers side should be redesigned. Anybody's passenger's offer to fill their car for them?

I prefer the passenger's side. That way, my door is away from the pumps and can be opened without concern for it bumping the pumps while still being close to make the fill easy. This is especially true with a coupe (like the Vette) with large doors.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:30 PM
LLWS
Burning Brakes

The only rule of thumb that seems to work is American car on the left, euro-trash on the right. Generally speaking if the country the car is born from drives on the left, the fuel door is right. We drive on the right, fuel door on the left. This rule of thumb has served me well.

In a wanderin' through my driveway I noticed that My Tahoe, Corvette, Ford F350, and VW Jetta all follow the rule. See if it works for you.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:40 PM
shortski
Drifting

Left, right it depends on what your reference point is. In boating it's starboard and port the referencing point being the bow so no matter what way you are facing port is always port and starboard is always starboard. Port being left looking froward towards the bow and right being starboard looking forward towards the bow. It matters not if you are looking towards the stern starboard and port are always the same side of the boat regardless of which way you are facing. If car manufactures would get together on an icon a steering wheel would be good, indicate which side facing steering wheel, would work on left and right hand drive and even in the middle for the experimental three wheelers.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:41 PM
OriginalJohnnyD
Instructor

Sweet bit of information. I have been in the car business for 3 years now and have never heard about this. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2007, 03:43 PM
shortski
Drifting

Originally Posted by LLWS
The only rule of thumb that seems to work is American car on the left, euro-trash on the right. Generally speaking if the country the car is born from drives on the left, the fuel door is right. We drive on the right, fuel door on the left. This rule of thumb has served me well.

In a wanderin' through my driveway I noticed that My Tahoe, Corvette, Ford F350, and VW Jetta all follow the rule. See if it works for you.
Nope, Mitsubishi Endeavor SUV, drivers side, left looking forward from drivers seat.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:48 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LLWS

No, your rule doesn't work. I have four American cars and it's a split. Two vehicles have the fuel door of the driver's side and the other two vehicles have the fuel door on the passenger side. Two of my Fords have the doors on different sides, one on the right and the other on the left so the door locations are different even for the same manufacturer. In all my vehicles, there is a small arrow pointing to the side where the filler door is. I'm never confused which side the gas pump should be on.

What puzzles me is why the auto makers stopped putting the fill neck at the center rear of the car. It must be some safety regulation or something but I've never seen anything about it. In the old days, it didn't matter how you drove into the station because you could always get to the filler neck.

Last edited by quickride; 12-28-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Kept Auto Secret

Old 12-28-2007, 03:51 PM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

The fuel door release button is located to the left of the steering wheel. Button on the left, fuel door on the left.
Geez, how can ya forget that.

~AL~
Old 12-28-2007, 03:51 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Don't know if I buy it or not but someone told me the reasoning for putting the gas door on the right side (on some cars) was so you wouldn't get hit by traffic-----while refilling your tank by the side of the road after running out.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DennyBlueC6
The Worlds Best Kept Auto Secret

I have been Driving for decades. One would think I would have noticed
The little secret on my dash that was staring me right in the face the
Whole time. I didn't and I bet you probably haven't either.

Quick Question! What side of your car is your gas tank filler? If you are anything
Like me driving several different vehicles, you probably can't remember
Right away. I've stuck my head out the window to look, usually to no
Avail . . .. Especially on rental and borrowed cars.

If you look at Your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump. The handle of The gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the
Pump. If your tank filler is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If
Your tank filler is on the right, the handle will be on the right.
Well that is OK for some US vehicles. BMW and Merc always put the filler on the side away from the center of the road so that if you do have to refill on the side of the road you will be away from the traffic.

In many other cars the side of the instrument pannel where the gage is, is where the filler is, many others have an arrow to tell you where it is if the instrument pannel is not conventional.

Last edited by Steve Germany; 12-28-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Kept Auto Secret