C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking Pad Thickness

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:10 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will see the pucks if you look for them. Here are the BMW Rectangular, very noticeable:

Old 12-28-2007, 12:49 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
You will see the pucks if you look for them. Here are the BMW Rectangular, very noticeable:
Nice looking car and racing driver! Though this is why I use those easy on/easy off round hockey pucks with eye bolts and keep them stored n my rear trunk compartment.

Last edited by siffert; 12-28-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Cool Rod
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LJD51
and not only would you lose your car, you would also be out some expensive jacking pucks...

At least I would only lose four hockey pucks and eye bolts...less than $10.00...
Oh well, another brilliant idea going in the trash can!
Old 12-28-2007, 07:03 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by quickride
Save yourself some time and effort and let your keyboard build a set of pucks for you. Do a search on eBay for Jacking Pucks & Bag and have them delivered to your door.
$24 total delivered in 2 days during the Christmas rush. And the bag is actually very nice. I expected a cheap plastic sack with a drawstring but it is fairly heavy vinyl with a velcro closure.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Greg G
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

How do the rectangular ones mount? I just purchased a C6 with the retangulat pads. Do they twist to remove? I think I like the round ones better. They seem like they will fit a floor jack better.
Anyone know which one is beyyer for a home floor jack with a cup?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:26 AM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg G
How do the rectangular ones mount? I just purchased a C6 with the retangulat pads. Do they twist to remove? I think I like the round ones better. They seem like they will fit a floor jack better.
IMO- A round puck is better suited to fitting a jack. With a square puck, you run the risk of improper fit, you know 'a square peg in a round hole'. On a lift rack, square or round doesn't matter.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Greg G
The square ones shown in post #7 above are about twice as thick as the rounds ones in post #4. They snap into the frame slots just like the round ones, but then you are supposed to push that pin in to permanently secure them. Once installed with the pin, you would remove them by jambing a screwdriver or some other tool under the pin to pull it back up, then they just pop out.

I used to own a '95 M3, which came with the round ones. They were INTENDED to stay put, but would occasionally fall out of the slots when I dropped the car off the jack. That's why BMW redesigned them to the rectangular style WITH the pin - to stay put better.

As for fitting in a floor jack, my experience is that either shape should be fine - assuming your jack's saddle is larger then the pad (most racing-style jacks have large, flat saddles). HOWEVER - you should also consider how the pad/puck will fit your particular jack stands. Some of the round pads don't fit typical stands well. I found the round BMW pads did NOT fit my stands well at all, and I was always afraid the stands would slip off the pads (though it never happened).

FYI - I just bought the round hockey puck 'Jacking Pucks & Bag' from eBay seller 'Savonic'. They are 1 inch thick, and seem like the perfect size for both my aluminum racing jack & my stands when I trial-fitted them. And I agree with FortMorganAl - the pucks and included bag are very nicely made...

But - as usual, YMMV. So, Good Luck ....
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 PM
BlueSpeed
Pro

[QUOTE=Greg G;1563348358]How do the rectangular ones mount? I just purchased a C6 with the retangulat pads. Do they twist to remove? I think I like the round ones better. They seem like they will fit a floor jack better.
Anyone know which one is beyyer for a home floor jack with a cup?[/QUOT

the rectangulars mount the same as the round ones except that the rectangulars and can be secured with a bolt instead of the supplied plastic pin in order to facilitate removal. Its easier to unscrew the bolt and pull down to remove the puck but when the bolt is tightened the puck is very secure and will not fall out, here's a diagram I had saved from an old post:

IMHO the rectangulars are bulkier but barely noticeable especially in darker colored cars and offer a bit more protection in the event the car needs to go to the much feared dealer

Last edited by BlueSpeed; 12-28-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Cool Rod
Pro

I think this has already been discussed, but another way to ease the removal of the pucks is to screw a pan head sheet metal screw into the post. Just drill a small pilot hole, then screw the screw about halfway in and leave it protruding a little, so it remains recessed below the edge of the puck when the locking pin is pushed in, and you can grip it with a pair of pliers or easily slide a screwdriver under the head and pry.

You should be able to pull the pin down quickly and easily when you want to remove the puck.

I don't remember the size screw I used, but it was small so that there was plenty of pin left after I drilled the pilot hole.

No argument with the bolt method, this is just another way to skin the cat.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Jim_H
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Rod
I think this has already been discussed, but another way to ease the removal of the pucks is to screw a pan head sheet metal screw into the post. Just drill a small pilot hole, then screw the screw about halfway in and leave it protruding a little, so it remains recessed below the edge of the puck when the locking pin is pushed in, and you can grip it with a pair of pliers or easily slide a screwdriver under the head and pry.

You should be able to pull the pin down quickly and easily when you want to remove the puck.

I don't remember the size screw I used, but it was small so that there was plenty of pin left after I drilled the pilot hole.

No argument with the bolt method, this is just another way to skin the cat.
I used this panhead screw method on the rectangular BMW pucks and it works fine, I can pop them out in seconds. Use stainless screws.

Quick Reply: Jacking Pad Thickness