C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
a CEL can also be casued by a tank of gas too rich in ethanol...
Too much ethanol can cause the engine to run lean..Happened to me twice on BP/Amoco Ultimate gas...
No BP gas, No CEL....
well my 08 is going back again for the engine light. The first time they said (called GM also) that the car was running lean. When I brought the car in the light had reset itself and then came back on 2 days later. Weird thing is that I did NOT add any new gas, so why'd it come back on?? I think GM might have some issues with the computer and ethanol for the winter months. They need to get this working correctly..
Old 01-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i have also had a check engine light that I could not read with my original OBD II scanner. Went out and bought another one, and it worked fine.

My original one works on all my cars, except for the new vette.

btw, i got a code P0171, and been to the dealer twice, and they don't know what it is. But the gas makes sense, I will have to check that out. Good luck
Old 01-03-2008, 06:37 PM
RushThruLife
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H2LS3
Do you have onstar? I would just have them run a quick diagnostic if you do.
They can`t pinpoint the problem, but they can tell you if you have bad gas or if knock sensors went off,or if its a tranny problem.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times
i have also had a check engine light that I could not read with my original OBD II scanner. Went out and bought another one, and it worked fine.

My original one works on all my cars, except for the new vette.

btw, i got a code P0171, and been to the dealer twice, and they don't know what it is. But the gas makes sense, I will have to check that out. Good luck
PO171 is Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 ECM. How can they not know what that is. If I remember right it's unusually an oxygen sensor.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by VET4LES
PO171 is Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 ECM. How can they not know what that is. If I remember right it's unusually an oxygen sensor.
Even the book that comes with th reader will tell you. I would not trust that shop.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
hardworkinman
hardworkinman
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read this thread. What year vettes are having these problems with the check engine light?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:09 PM
igo210mph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hardworkinman
I just read this thread. What year vettes are having these problems with the check engine light?
I too am getting a check engine light, and a friend checked it, and this is the code he got. PO172 and P0175. I have onstar, and they said my 08 vette is running rich and there is a malfunction. I have an appointment Wednesday with the dealership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light