C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Trans Learning

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Ampcass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Trans Learning

I understand that the C6 A6 transmission learns how you drive and sets up the shifting accordingly only in the "D" Mode.

1. Does the learning also affect the "S" mode when the paddle shifters aren't activated.
2. Does it learn for both drivers and change depending on which FOB is recognized and/or when the driver 1 & 2 buttons are pushed?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The concensus was that the A6 learns while you are in Drive mode, however to me that doesn't make sense as when in Drive, 1st gear is never utilized. From the time I got my car, I have used 95% of the time Sport mode and used the paddles to activate and use 1st gear. I do believe that my trans knows my driving habits.

I have had no problems and the trans works well for me when I do put it in drive and in sport mode.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HawaiiC6
The concensus was that the A6 learns while you are in Drive mode, however to me that doesn't make sense as when in Drive, 1st gear is never utilized. From the time I got my car, I have used 95% of the time Sport mode and used the paddles to activate and use 1st gear. I do believe that my trans knows my driving habits.

I have had no problems and the trans works well for me when I do put it in drive and in sport mode.
Why wouldn't 1st gear be utilized? The car always starts in 1st gear in both D and S. To train the computer just hammer it in D a few times going through the gears to get the tranny to learn which should carry over to S mode.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The concensus was that the A6 learns while you are in Drive mode, however to me that doesn't make sense as when in Drive, 1st gear is never utilized.
Originally Posted by Purdue
Why wouldn't 1st gear be utilized? The car always starts in 1st gear in both D and S. To train the computer just hammer it in D a few times going through the gears to get the tranny to learn which should carry over to S mode.
1st gear is always used from a stop in Drive mode. Watch the rpms on your tach and see how many times the rpms drop off as you slowly accelerate from 0 to 60.

1st gear is also used from a stop in S mode if you haven't used the paddles since you put the tranny in S mode.

The only time the car doesn't start from 1st gear is when you've used the paddles. Then you have to downshift to 1st if you want to start from 1st.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Ampcass
Instructor

Originally Posted by Purdue
The 07-08 C6 only starts in 2nd. When your in S to get it in 1st you have to paddle shift down. The reason for starting in second has to do with fuel consumption.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ampcass
The 07-08 C6 only starts in 2nd. When your in S to get it in 1st you have to paddle shift down. The reason for starting in second has to do with fuel consumption.
Are you sure about that? I don't see any reason for the 07 or 08 to be any different than the 05-06. Do the test. Slowly accelerate to 60 and count the rpm dropoffs. Do both D & S without ever touching the paddles. I'll bet you'll learn something.

WARNING: the A6 tranny shifts out of 1st EARLY, at about 8 mph, so watch for it.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JimTN
1st gear is always used from a stop in Drive mode. Watch the rpms on your tach and see how many times the rpms drop off as you slowly accelerate from 0 to 60.

1st gear is also used from a stop in S mode if you haven't used the paddles since you put the tranny in S mode.

The only time the car doesn't start from 1st gear is when you've used the paddles. Then you have to downshift to 1st if you want to start from 1st.

I think you need to check as the trans always starts in 2nd gear as a gas saving feature. Sport mode without touching the paddles is in drive mode the only thing it does more then drive is it will hold the shift longer for better acceleration.

If you step on it at a stop drive mode may be kicking down into 1st gear to accelerate but under normal driving it is in 2nd gear.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ampcass

My parents have a 07 A6 and I drove it for a month when my roof delaminated
and it starts in 1st in both D and S (non paddle mode) .
Old 12-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I think you need to check as the trans always starts in 2nd gear as a gas saving feature. Sport mode without touching the paddles is in drive mode the only thing it does more then drive is it will hold the shift longer for better acceleration.

If you step on it at a stop drive mode may be kicking down into 1st gear to accelerate but under normal driving it is in 2nd gear.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm telling you I don't have an 07, so I can't check the accuracy of what you're saying.

However, I am challenging you to test the accuracy of what I'm saying. With the tranny in D, start from a standstill and slowly accelerate to 60. Watch the tach and count how many times the rpms drop off. Later, do the same in S without ever using the paddles. I suggest you do this in a large empty parking lot or on a deserted road.

Try it.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Ampcass
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimTN
Are you sure about that? I don't see any reason for the 07 or 08 to be any different than the 05-06. Do the test. Slowly accelerate to 60 and count the rpm dropoffs. Do both D & S without ever touching the paddles. I'll bet you'll learn something.

WARNING: the A6 tranny shifts out of 1st EARLY, at about 8 mph, so watch for it.
The reason I said 07 08 is that I haven't driven any others. I don't know who is right at this point, but logically why would it start in 1st for D & S but not when using the paddles which it doesn't.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:11 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry, you're wrong. When in Drive, the car always starts off in 1st gear. Always. Every time. Same in Sport mode unless you've used the paddles.

If you've used the paddles since shifting to Sport mode, the car will start off in 2nd gear unless you manually downshift to 1st. Shifting back to Drive, Neutral, Reverse, or Park and then back to Sport will reset to the non-paddle mode and the car will automatically start off in 1st again until you next touch the paddles.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 PM
kwickag
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
Sorry, you're wrong. When in Drive, the car always starts off in 1st gear. Always. Every time. Same in Sport mode unless you've used the paddles.

If you've used the paddles since shifting to Sport mode, the car will start off in 2nd gear unless you manually downshift to 1st. Shifting back to Drive, Neutral, Reverse, or Park and then back to Sport will reset to the non-paddle mode and the car will automatically start off in 1st again until you next touch the paddles.
One way to tell is to come to a stop in paddle mode, put it in D and you can feel it drop into first, put it back in S, no change, push the paddle forward and it will go into 2nd and you can feel it do so if you take your foot off the brake and let the car move a foot or so.

Also when it comes to learning here is what the manual says: While in automatic SPORT MODE (S), the transmission computer determines when the vehicle is being driven in a competitive manner and will select and hold the transmission in lower gears and have more noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle performance.

Nothing about learning in D mode

Last edited by kwickag; 12-15-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:53 PM
DJ07Vette
Racer

Old 12-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Victoryred 08
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

I also
Old 12-15-2007, 09:31 PM
rayainsw
Racer

Default Learning ( in D ) thread....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ptive+shifting
Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Always starts in 1st unless you have engaged the paddles.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:50 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Get notified of new replies

To A6 Trans Learning

Old 12-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

I have always used the Sport mode and the A6 performs just fine.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:45 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Since I got tuned Friday my car when starting in paddle defaults to 1st gear now, it used to start in 2nd unless put in 1st, now it automatically goes to first. But I believe also that in D it starts in 1st
Old 12-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Gotta agree with Shopdog. Mine starts out in first everytime, both D & S. I also had my shift points changed in D mode (when I had it tuned) so that it shifts at 2000 rpm in each gear. Makes for much more sportier driving. If in fact the tranny does learn in D mode, making the shift points a little sportier may help out S mode performance. Anyway, for me in D with the higher shift point it shifts from 1st to 2nd at 14 mph. When in S it shifts from 1st to 2nd at around 9 mph (stock shift point). Pay close attention when you are driving and you'll feel it.

Quick Reply: A6 Trans Learning