C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those Who Have Seen Mag Red & CRM...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
JimLely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Those Who Have Seen Mag Red & CRM...

Hey Colleagues,

I have an '05 coupe in Mag Red and want to trade it in for an '08 (to be ordered) in Crystal Red. The problem is I haven't seen the CRM in the flesh. For those who have seen both in the flesh, how different do they look? I've seen the photos of the two and CRM looks a tad darker. But what about the metallic flakes, especially when hit by the sun? How different do the colors reflect the sunlight?

Jim
Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

I have seen VR, MAG RED, & CRM, SIDE BY SIDE....MAG RED IS (IMO) THE BEST...THEN VR...CRM LOOKS WASHED OUT!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
rjr2007
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

VR is faster
Old 12-11-2007, 05:03 PM
RVC454
Advanced

Hey Jim: Check out Kerbeck Chevrolets website they have a comparison with Crystal Red, Monterey and Mag Red. I personally did see the Crystal vs Monterey and the Crystal is a shade lighter and metalflake adds a nice touch.I am going with Crystal
Old 12-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I owned a mag red C5, and have seen CR C6s up close, and the colors are very similar. If you put them next to each other, they're a bit different, but I love them both. If you like Mag Red, I'd be suprised if you didn't like CR.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

I have seen MR and CRM side by side and much prefer the MR. The sunlight really makes the MR kinda special and the new color is a bit washed out comparitively, much like a standard company color seen across the board.

In fact in September I had my DSOM vert in a show and there was also a MR vert there. We got the most attention by far. People walked right on by the vast array of reds, silvers, and black to stop and comment. There was even an Atomic Orange Z06 there and several people told me they liked ''the orange on my vert but not so much on the Z coupe, they thought they were the same color until I educated them.

Of course ,color is highly subjective, but IMO, GM keeps replacing colors with colors that are less attractive---i.e MY to VY, etc.

While Corvettes are better then they have ever been, it seems that color choice has hit an all time low.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:33 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

To my eye, the new CRM's metalflake looks to have pink highlights where the bright light hits it......IMHO, not an attractive attribute. There are people who LOVE this color, just as we all are proud of the color we chose, but make sure you see CRM in person before ordering it, and make sure you see it outside in bright sunlight......
Old 12-11-2007, 06:03 PM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
While Corvettes are better then they have ever been, it seems that color choice has hit an all time low.
The colors aren't so bad, it's the "orange peeling" that upsets me. How long has this been going on with Corvettes and/or cars in general?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:13 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I've seen Magnetic and Crystal but not side-by-side. I just saw a new Crystal Red coupe today at a dealer and thought the color looked great. (It was a bright, sunny day.) I could definitely see the flakes in direct sunlight. IMO Crystal Red and Magnetic Red look quite similar to each other, much moreso than either one of them vs. Monterey Red. Subjectively, I like the looks of Monterey the best of all the reds but being lighter in color Crystal Red will be much more forgiving of dust, dirt, swirls, and spiderwebs; there's probably considerable value to that.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Crystal Red is just awesome in the sunlight. The flakes really jump out. The color really changes depending on the light conditions. All I get are complements. No one has ever seen a color like this around my small town. You will be very pleased with the Crystal Red. But, all just my opinion! If I had to have a different color, it would be Velocity Yellow.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The two colors are very similar. The Crystal red uses the same metal flake that the 2003 Anniversary red used. It is called Xyrallic crystal technology. Magnetic red in the same lighting presents as more copper colored while Crystal red still presents as more wine colored. It is a little darker.

I know you've seen the pictures but here are a couple of relative comparisons that Dave at Kerbeck posted that you may not have seen.

Here is Crystal Red (right) next to Magnetic Red (left)

Here is Crystal Red (middle) Monterey Red (right) and Magnetic (Left)

Old 12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
JimLely
Instructor

Thanks guys.

Additional comments are more than welcome.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:44 AM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

looking at those pics i like magnetic red the most
Old 12-12-2007, 05:13 PM
zTrek
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I've seen them both and would prefer the Mag Red given a choice, but I'd be willing to settle for the next best thing, the CR, if I had to. The mag red is a tad lighter and has just a little more zing to it. The mag red produces some really cool, unique effects in an early morning or late day sun. I also get a lot of compliments on the color from onlookers, something that has never happened to me with other colors.

Get notified of new replies

To For Those Who Have Seen Mag Red & CRM...

Quick Reply: For Those Who Have Seen Mag Red & CRM...