C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the Corvette has such poor wheel fitment inside the fender openings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:23 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by jschindler

This is actually a true story. The major (read "American") manufacturers actually do have a set of written "specs" that all vehicles they build are supposed to meet unless exceptions are approved by management. I read a few years ago that one of the requirements is that there has to be room for chains to be fitted.

I seriously doubt if this has been applied to the Corvette for some time, but you have to understand how big companies think!

By the way, with mine lowered on the stock bolts, and slightly oversized tires, I think mine looks pretty good now....

Don't bogart the specs Jim.

Last edited by MikeyTX; 12-09-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to click instant notification
Old 12-09-2007, 11:30 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

>>>I read a few years ago that one of the requirements is that there has to be room for chains to be fitted.

I seriously doubt if this has been applied to the Corvette for some time, but you have to understand how big companies think!<<<

Actually, the owners manual says to NOT use tire chains so the Corvette wheel well gaps could be reduced by GM, I would think.

Last edited by 2K14C7; 12-09-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:37 AM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
I know that some seem to be after that "slammed look" with all wheel and no space but for me, I'd rather have full range allowing maximum use of the suspension travel as designed.
And the "form follows function" rule. I like the form because of the function with right foot application equals
Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Ampcass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 12-09-2007, 12:37 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn h.
I am talking about all of the extra space inside the wheel openings...not only vertically, but also horizontally??

Can't it be designed to give it a more flush look? There's just too much empty space. The German's can do this very well and it would make a huge difference in the overall look and stance of the car.
There is virtually no extra space inside the wheel openings, there's just barely enough space to allow for full suspension travel without the tire rubbing on the bodywork. That's why the manual says you can't run chains.

What you actually seem to want has nothing to do with interior wheel well clearance. You want the fender to cover the outer wheel opening. GM had a solution to your concern which they introduced in 1953 and continued in production until the mid-1960s, they called them fender skirts. These removeable wheel well covers enclosed the wheel/tire combo leaving only the lower part of the tire visible from the sides. They had to be removeable so one could change the tire, of course. I'm sure some enterprising aftermarket vendor could come up with fender skirts for the C6 if there was sufficient demand for that look.

Fender skirts originally went away on automobiles because the esthetic changed to want exposed wheels. But the pendulum could certainly swing back the other way. Particularly with the current trend toward higher MPG, skirts would reduce turbulence around the wheels, improving drag numbers. The original esthetic for skirts was aircraft landing gear pants, which did indeed reduce drag.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
I'm tellin' ya, my priorities must be all screwed up.

There are numerous threads on how crappy looking visor stickers are, how verts look better with the visors completely removed with the visor mounts left dangling in the breeze, how 2 postage stamp sized GM chicklets ruin the looks of the C6, and now tire gap.

I don't even give that stuff a second thought.

What I do see is a car that is too high for it's width, a poorly designed front that forces owners in two plate states to come up with or purchase front plate mounts with one uglier than the next, a big flat featureless *** end and the crowning glory of the C6 design team: that big chunky dated rear window bubble which makes the car look even taller than it already is.

Now, if we can live with all those major design flaws and still love the car, little picky nonsense like tire gap isn't even worth mentioning.
I value and respect differing opinions but I feel your impression of the C6 as a dated, major design 'faux pas' is very much a minority viewpoint. Fortunately and as a self-appointed spokesman for the majority , we do not have to live with all these "major design flaws" to love the C6....evidently you do.

I don't perceive a problem with tire gap but I submit it may be preferable for one to nit-pick little details rather than to be so profoundly disappointed with the 'overall' design of the C6. Improvements, of whatever magnitude, can always be made. The Corvette is not and never will be perfection as truly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your opinion has value and knowing it benefits us all. I just don't feel the majority of C6 owners are as significantly disappointed with the overall design of the C6 as you are. Your being able to love the C6 despite such criticisms is truly a testament to a (otherwise?) great automobile.
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

I like the way they are. So no problem here.
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, "fitment" is not a word. Stuff fits when it is designed with the proper fit. No ment required.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
There is virtually no extra space inside the wheel openings, there's just barely enough space to allow for full suspension travel without the tire rubbing on the bodywork. That's why the manual says you can't run chains.

What you actually seem to want has nothing to do with interior wheel well clearance. You want the fender to cover the outer wheel opening. GM had a solution to your concern which they introduced in 1953 and continued in production until the mid-1960s, they called them fender skirts. These removeable wheel well covers enclosed the wheel/tire combo leaving only the lower part of the tire visible from the sides. They had to be removeable so one could change the tire, of course. I'm sure some enterprising aftermarket vendor could come up with fender skirts for the C6 if there was sufficient demand for that look.

Fender skirts originally went away on automobiles because the esthetic changed to want exposed wheels. But the pendulum could certainly swing back the other way. Particularly with the current trend toward higher MPG, skirts would reduce turbulence around the wheels, improving drag numbers. The original esthetic for skirts was aircraft landing gear pants, which did indeed reduce drag.
I'd be surprised if the OP had ever seen fender skirts.

I had one just like this

Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I value and respect differing opinions but I feel your impression of the C6 as a dated, major design 'faux pas' is very much a minority viewpoint. Fortunately and as a self-appointed spokesman for the majority , we do not have to live with all these "major design flaws" to love the C6....evidently you do.

I don't perceive a problem with tire gap but I submit it may be preferable for one to nit-pick little details rather than to be so profoundly disappointed with the 'overall' design of the C6. Improvements, of whatever magnitude, can always be made. The Corvette is not and never will be perfection as truly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your opinion has value and knowing it benefits us all. I just don't feel the majority of C6 owners are as significantly disappointed with the overall design of the C6 as you are. Your being able to love the C6 despite such criticisms is truly a testament to a (otherwise?) great automobile.
No, it's a testament to my owning a convertible!

The main design flaw of being too tall for its narrow width is more obvious with the coupe, which is why I think the C5 coupe is much more proportionate than the C6 coupe. The vert doesn't seem so wide with the absence of tall, narrow rear glass and with the top down the car is visually lowered and brought back into proportion. The rear end is just plain jane. The front... well, like many here, I leave off the plate in my home state and take my chances, and put on a QD mount when I drive to stricter neighboring states. (Still no excuse for GM thumbing their noses at such a large number of two plate state buyers, however.)

And it is a great car for the money... probably the best.

Last edited by ProfMoriarty; 12-09-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 PM
VetteManRay
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Forest Hill, (Out in the country), north of Baltimore. Maryland. Land of "Pleasant Living" with my Corvette, steamed crabs & crab cakes.
Default A Big “HELLO” from Forest Hill, Maryland.

Put BMW fenders on your Vette to get the look you want.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Takes about 10 minutes to lower the car maybe 20 if you also cut the bushings. It will look just fine and the filtment????? is very eye pleasing to most of us. If you will check out most car adds you will see that the copy guys always make the car appear lower not higher
Never had a problem with full suspension travel or any of the other horror stories you will read about on the forum.......bottom line.....it's YOU CAR do what you want with it and let others do what they want
Praise The Lowered
Old 12-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You guys slay me.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Lightning Coyote
I like the way they are. So no problem here.
I second that motion.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:03 PM
shawn h.
Drifting

The question was not neccessarily a put down, it was basically questioning why(as far as a design aspect) GM does this?

I would think they can functionally design the car to give it a more flushed(I'm not talking about slammed) look.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn h.
The question was not neccessarily a put down, it was basically questioning why(as far as a design aspect) GM does this?

I would think they can functionally design the car to give it a more flushed(I'm not talking about slammed) look.

I'm with ya brotha.. I think the same thing everytime I go into the garage.. it seems like they got it right with the C5 Z's though.. ??

Last edited by Donuts; 12-09-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why does the Corvette has such poor wheel fitment inside the fender openings?

Old 12-09-2007, 02:54 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Do you actually own a Corvette? If so, why? Why didn't you buy a German car that would fit your desires?
If I'm not mistaken he got tired of waiting for 4LT to come off constraint so he bought an Aston Martin instead.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:56 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that the C6 is a LOT better then the C5 was.....when I look at mine I can almost live with the space between the wheels and the fenders.....not perfect, but a lot better....
Old 12-09-2007, 02:57 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
, a big flat featureless *** end Now, if we can live with all those major design flaws and still love the car, little picky nonsense like tire gap isn't even worth mentioning.
That big *** rear end was designed by GM so those very wide European plates could fit on the back end overseas. This is why the official GM rear plate frame looks sooooooo natural and good back there in everyone's eyes, save for yours with that anemic skinny framed Ecklers plate. Oh well, fortunately good taste as Wayne O states is with the majority.

Last edited by siffert; 12-09-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Why does the Corvette has such poor wheel fitment inside the fender openings?