C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reproduction Wheels - Your Experiences??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Hotnut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 6 cars. 4 of the 6 have aftermarket wheels. Of the last 10 cars I have had previously, I'd say 8 of them had aftermarket wheels.

I only buy them from Discount Tire.

I have never had a problem with any of the sets. I highly recommend it!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:05 AM
0corvette-wheels.com
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reproductions are a GREAT low-cost upgrade. More colors, pinstriping now available, etc...

Very little differences between stock and repro's . They are both 1 pc, as far as weight. 2-3 lbs... Great Warranty's (Structural - Lifetime / Out of Round - 10 Day / Paint/Chrome - 2 Years)

GM Stock rims are NOT all perfectly round when they are spun... right from the showroom floor. They meet the proper specifications - enough to be balanced. Same as the repros.

We can help you out with anything you need. PM us for a price.

2009 ZR1 Replicas will be out in mid-January. We will be accepting deposits shortly. Stay "Tuned"

www.corvette-wheels.com

Corvette Wheels | Corvette Tires | Corvette Brakes

Last edited by corvette-wheels.com; 10-08-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Daniel Redfoot
Racer

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
Had to return one Factory Reproduction Z06 wheel to them for exchange and they were slow in getting my money back on the exchange (deposit). Also have lost two hubcaps and they sent me new ones with spring clip inside. The rims are not uniform inside for the hubcaps and it causes them to come off. All my wheels have different inside diameter for hubcaps. I have had to grind hubcaps down to keep them on.
Wow - Im in the same boat.

I have one factory repro that keeps spitting caps.
They have sent me replacements, the last with that spring thing, but its still no good.

Rather that the trouble of going after a replacement, shipping and break down and install of tire, an on... I was pondering a self quick fix.

What did you do to make the cap stay in place? did it work and please send pics if you have them.

Thank You
Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by corvette-wheels.com
Reproductions are a GREAT low-cost upgrade. More colors, pinstriping now available, etc...

Very little differences between stock and repro's
. They are both 1 pc, as far as weight. 2-3 lbs... Great Warranty's (Structural - Lifetime / Out of Round - 10 Day / Paint/Chrome - 2 Years)

GM Stock rims are all out of round when they are spun... right from the showroom floor. They meet the proper specifications - enough to be balanced. Same as the repros.

We can help you out with anything you need. PM us for a price.

2009 ZR1 Replicas will be out in mid-January. We will be accepting deposits shortly. Stay "Tuned"

www.corvette-wheels.com

Corvette Wheels | Corvette Tires | Corvette Brakes
That's really quite a bunch of statements there. Maybe in your experience (which may be more than mine) but I've seen 8 C6 rims, mine, spun and they were all NOT out of round. I've also had quite a few aftermarket rims, some of which were great, and some just ok. If you look back thru the posts and threads on CF alone, you will see some who have negative experiences with aftermarket wheels, good ones, costly ones, too.

The warranty is only as good as the vendor who chooses to stand behind it. A warranty to ship a wheel back and forth, wait for a replacement, all at the buyer's expense is worth something, but not much. A warranty that isn't even honored is worth nothing and there are some of those, too.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

[QUOTE=corvette-wheels.com;1567385902] Great Warranty's (Structural - Lifetime / Out of Round - 10 Day / Paint/Chrome - 2 Years)QUOTE]

When does this 10 day period start?...when you ship,when I receive them,when they're actually put on? 10 days seems a little short....
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 AM
RussellZ
Burning Brakes

I just purchased new wheels from West Coast Corvettes. They explained that they stand behind all of their products and warranty all of their after market wheels. They treated me right and installed the wheels in 1 1/2 hours. Also, my rocker panels are not busted because they use jacking pucks. So, if you find a wheel you like and the seller will stand behind their product; go for it!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 AM
newskatercat
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

My repro wheels were excellent! I bought Chrome OE Concepts Z06 repro wheels from Nate, at Corvette Garage 2 yrs ago! The wheels were still perfect, when trading car in, few wks ago! I'm hoping OE Concepts produces the new 2009 Z06 Spyder repro's, as I am waiting to buy.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Here is a shot of my C6Z in Hyper Black that have zero issues and this photo is with the rims already 3 years old and I bought these used
Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Redfoot
Wow - Im in the same boat.

I have one factory repro that keeps spitting caps.
They have sent me replacements, the last with that spring thing, but its still no good.

Rather that the trouble of going after a replacement, shipping and break down and install of tire, an on... I was pondering a self quick fix.

What did you do to make the cap stay in place? did it work and please send pics if you have them.

Thank You
Sorry, don't have any pictures. Here is what I did, I took the edge of the hubcap (like the edge of petals on an open flower) and ground them down on my bench grinder. As a result, I have a 1/16" gap between the edge of the hubcap and the wheel indentation. Therefore, as the wheel flexes, it does not ease the hubcap off. I have been on several agressive cruises and many pothole bumps and have not lost any. Some of the caps fit VERY snugly to the wheel and they will eventually work there way off. You need the gap on ALL the hubcaps to prevent the easing off during driving. Also make sure the clip are solidily spot welded and lined up but end to but end. I even have one without clip that I glued vacuumn hose to keep the prongs expanded and it works.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:19 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Factory Repro's on my C5. The chrome peeled from the inside of the rim to the outside lip. They insisted that I hit something..So much for 2 yr chrome warranty. Never again..I will save my money for CCW's or what ever else.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Very little differences between stock and repro's . They are both 1 pc, as far as weight. 2-3 lbs... Great Warranty's (Structural - Lifetime / Out of Round - 10 Day / Paint/Chrome - 2 Years)

GM Stock rims are all out of round when they are spun... right from the showroom floor. They meet the proper specifications - enough to be balanced. Same as the repros.
Aren't most (if not all) repro wheels non hubcentric though?

I've got repro chrome wheels on my C5 and they aren't hubcentric and I've never been able to get a proper balance on them as a result. Every tire shop I've been to has commented on the fact that they cannot guarantee a perfect balance on non hubcentric wheels.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,218 Likes on 829 Posts

I have them on my 07....I bought them from a vendor here...The wheels are not perfect...but they are as perfect as those you pay double the cost are and what came on the car as well imo.

In fact I get comments and questions as to what I use the clean them as they tell me they are as shiny as they have ever seen.

After 8k miles it is the best 630 bucks I have spent on the VETTE so far and I kept my originals. So far I am happy.

ps...One wheel only needed .25 of an ounce and all of the others used the same or less lead to get them balanced.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I had WCC Chromes on my 05 Coupe. They looked great. The only thing
I didn't like was the embossed emblem on the center cap wasn't actually a C6 symbol. It was kind of a mix C5/C6. Seems there was a licensing problem. They then sold me C6 decals and gave me blank center caps.
The inside of the rims were even easier to clean than GM Chromes.
The surface inside the rim was smooth. The Chromes from GM have a rough texture that is hard to wipe clean.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:44 PM
0corvette-wheels.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AORoads
That's really quite a bunch of statements there. Maybe in your experience (which may be more than mine) but I've seen 8 C6 rims, mine, spun and they were all NOT out of round. I've also had quite a few aftermarket rims, some of which were great, and some just ok. If you look back thru the posts and threads on CF alone, you will see some who have negative experiences with aftermarket wheels, good ones, costly ones, too.

The warranty is only as good as the vendor who chooses to stand behind it. A warranty to ship a wheel back and forth, wait for a replacement, all at the buyer's expense is worth something, but not much. A warranty that isn't even honored is worth nothing and there are some of those, too.
- Sorry, what I meant to write was that GM Stock rims are NOT all perfectly round when they are spun. Edit made*

- People have negative and positive results with both factory, and aftermarket wheels. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

- If we're comparing factory wheels to reproduction wheels, thats one thing... but a forged aftermarket wheel vs reproduction is a whole new ball game. Hence the price jump.

- We stand behind our products.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:57 PM
luvlake
Pro

I have Factory Reproduction Chrome Split Spokes from Corvettes of Houston. I have had them a year Christmas. No problem to date, balanced fine and runs up to 120 with no vibration. I believe Atomic Autosports has the same wheel at a cheaper price. I sold my factory split spokes on ebay for $400.00.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Patman
Race Director

- Sorry, what I meant to write was that GM Stock rims are NOT all perfectly round when they are spun. Edit made*

- People have negative and positive results with both factory, and aftermarket wheels. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

- If we're comparing factory wheels to reproduction wheels, thats one thing... but a forged aftermarket wheel vs reproduction is a whole new ball game. Hence the price jump.

- We stand behind our products.
I'm still waiting for the answer to my question about whether or not most reproduction wheels are hubcentric or not?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:46 AM
0corvette-wheels.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm still waiting for the answer to my question about whether or not most reproduction wheels are hubcentric or not?
YES, every factory reproduction wheel is HUBCENTRIC.

Get notified of new replies

To Reproduction Wheels - Your Experiences??

Old 10-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Patman
Race Director

YES, every factory reproduction wheel is HUBCENTRIC.
Now that's what I like to hear!

I don't know where the previous owner bought the wheels I've got on my car, but they are chrome repros that aren't hubcentric and it's been a real struggle getting a good balance on them.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:18 PM
JiMmY912
Racer

Default it's great

I love them~

Last edited by JiMmY912; 10-10-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 PM
05vettelag
Racer

Jimmy912 those rims are awsome very nice touch to the car. Could you PM me with the price and who makes them. Thanks

Quick Reply: Reproduction Wheels - Your Experiences??