C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does RDM on the radio mean?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:38 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a very helpful post!

I used to think RDM meant "Read Da Manual".
Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxOctane
p^n + C(n,1)*p^(n-1)*q + C(n,2)*p^(n-2)*q^2 + ... + C(n,r)*p^(r)*q^n-r) = probability that an event will happen at least r times in n trials. Using this equation, you get a probability of 1/30284.

Hey go for a drive in your beautiful C6.
Enjoy/relish the power, the looks, the handling.

Leave the radio off.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:03 AM
JWLaRue
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My assumption is that the algorithm used to randomize the play sequence is one that uses a 'seed' number to figure out what to play. The seed number could be anything from the serial number of the unit to the number of tracks on the CD. This gives only a some-what random sequence.

This would mean that the "random" in these players is only "random" during each play sequence. Each time you start playing the disc again is a "new" random sequence....it does not carry over from each time the CD player is used. In fact, I would expect to see the behavior that you have observed.

-Jeff
Old 11-30-2007, 10:17 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxOctane
...because I thought it meant "random". Even when I push it, it says "Random disc play" or something like that, but my experience with RDM is as such...

I'm driving to work in the morning, and I decide to put my MP3 CD in the player. It has 135 MP3's on it and they are all in the ROOT directory! I hit RDM and listen to about 4 songs before I get to work. At lunch I go to the store and buy a present for my lovely wife whose birthday is on Monday. On the way there, I hear about 3 songs. Construction makes it longer to get there, so I only hear 2 songs on the way back.

So, I dust off the ol discrete math and combinatorics/permutations college book and go to town.

On the way to work, I heard 4 unique songs. On the way to the store, I heard one song which I heard on the way to work. On the way back from the store, I heard the same song again which I heard to work and to the store AND the second song I heard was a song I heard when going to the store!

This means I heard 9 songs total, and 6 unique songs. One song I heard 3 times, and another I heard 2 times.

First let's calculate the probability of listening to 9 unique songs in a row.

135/135*134/135*133/135... 127/135 = .76, so I have a 76% probability of hearing 9 unique songs in a row. I'd take those odds to Vegas any time.

Now, what is the probability that I listen to 9 songs, and hear the same one 3 times and the other 6 are unique out of a total set of 135 unique songs.

135/135*1/135*1/135*134/135*133/135...*129/135 = ~1/21,347 or .00468451% probability. Not quite sure I would take those odds with me to Vegas.

But, I heard the same song 3 times, and another song 2 times. What is the probability of hearing 1 song 3 times, another song 2 times, and the other 4 are unique songs.

135/135*1/135*1/135*134/135*1/134*133/135*132/135*131/135*130/135
which equals ~1/2,753,754 or .0000363141% probability.

What is the probability of listening to 9 songs and hearing AT LEAST 1 song 3 times?

p^n + C(n,1)*p^(n-1)*q + C(n,2)*p^(n-2)*q^2 + ... + C(n,r)*p^(r)*q^n-r) = probability that an event will happen at least r times in n trials. Using this equation, you get a probability of 1/30284.84

Now, It's been awhile since I've done this crap, so I could be wrong. If you decide to correct me, please do so tactfully. Regardless, my point is that the random seed that the GM Radio uses SUCKS!!!! I swear in a Cd full of 135 MP3's I'll hear the same song 8 or 9 times in just a few days. The chances of this being coincidence in practically nil as previously proven.

This makes me want to go to the dealer and ask to have the radio replaced, just to see the look on their face. Maybe if I record a dataset of several hundred songs and plot them on a scatter chart to support my argument. I wonder if they'll do it.

It's only a quasirandom play sequence. Mine is not truely random either.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:31 AM
MaxOctane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwickag
You'd be amazed how often the same number comes up when you use randomizing code in a computer.
As a software engineer with a degree in computer engineering and math, you are somewhat correct. A truly random number would generate a pretty even distribution. If you were to take several thousand samples over a range of lets say 135 and plot them on a scatter chart, you should get somewhat of a square of relatively even distributed dots.

Unfortunately a computer has to have some sort of "seed" to start with to generate a random number. Computers and software are made to run EXACTLY the same each time they are run, so how does it generate seemingly random number? It all depends on the seed as JWLaRue mentions. Some computers use serial numbers, others might use the timestamp.

The behavior that I'm seeing is that every time I restart my car, it seems to play the same few songs over again with maybe a couple of news ones thrown in. It's obviously using the same seed with similar algorithms which as why I previously mentioned that it SUCKS. Although it probably works perfectly fine for a CD with 13 songs on it, it is obviously not made for an MP3 CD. Regardless, I understand that there is probably nothing wrong with it and that it is likely just a design flaw, I just needed to vent, that's all. Sorry if I created any headaches...

Originally Posted by JWLaRue
My assumption is that the algorithm used to randomize the play sequence is one that uses a 'seed' number to figure out what to play. The seed number could be anything from the serial number of the unit to the number of tracks on the CD. This gives only a some-what random sequence.

This would mean that the "random" in these players is only "random" during each play sequence. Each time you start playing the disc again is a "new" random sequence....it does not carry over from each time the CD player is used. In fact, I would expect to see the behavior that you have observed.

-Jeff
Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

This is a very helpful post!

I used to think RDM meant "Read Da Manual"
Hang out in "DA BRONX" much?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 AM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  dilbert2001182781025.gif
Views: 10349
Size:  14.4 KB

Quick Reply: What does RDM on the radio mean?...