C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Quality Control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Based on personal experience with many brands over the years, I really can't complain about GM. My Corvettes have been some of the most reliable of all my vehicles, and the C6's are phenomenal. My DD is a 425 HP Dodge Magnum, and after 11,000 miles, the car has been perfect. Say what you will about American cars, but I've been very pleased with the ones I've owned in the past five years or so. Before that, not so happy, except for the Vettes. I think American cars are getting consistently better....flame me if you want, but that's been my experience.

I've had a 300ZXTT, a Supra TT and a 350Z. All were okay, but not any better than my C5's and not nearly as good as my C6's. My buddy has a brand new 911 S4 and it rattles like an early C4 Corvette.

It seems the more I spend, the worse the car. My 911 turbo was re-purchased by Porsche for being a lemon, and my wife's Audi A8 has been a total POS, always in the shop....of course they give her a new Audi to drive every time it's in, so I can't complain about their service.

I'm considering purchasing an Aston Martin Vantage V8 (mainly because I'm in love with the design), but for the money the performance is pathetic, especially when compared to a Z06 or having Lingenfelter massage my '07. For my wants in a sports car, I really have no other reasonable choice than the Corvette. I've yet to be given any major reason to b!tch about quality....and I bought my first Vette over 20 years ago. Compared with the other cars available at the time I owned them, the Vettes were bargains...and still are.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 11-28-2007 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 AM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Jet Stream
Its nothing new for Corvette. I have owned 20 of them. I think its more GM in general. They have really slipped hard.
Are you serious?? Do you really think quality is worse than it was in 1970's/1980's? or even the 1990's?? JD Power and others say this kind of gross generalization is completely unjustified.

I used to be a GM hater, but I have to admit that GM's quality improvement in the last 5-7 years has been pretty impressive. I hate to see folks perpetuating out of date perceptions and/or myths, rather than looking at the actual facts.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by OregonC6
My background is in process engineering and quality control in high tech electronics and high precision mechanical assemblies including some considerable time doing statistical analysis and research. Thus my comments:

Information about defects we get on this or any forum may be interesting, informative, and useful. However, it can't be applied to all C6s of any given year. This is because there is no consistent random sampling methodology used to gather the reports.

Given the shortcoming defect reports could be, in fact, isolated and be present on only a very few cars. However, it's just as likely that reports of defects point to lots of defective cars....or anywhere in between these two extremes. There is simply no way to know whether there are few or many such defects among ALL C6s.

The manufacturer alone would know the true extent of defects among all the cars produced from warranty reports. I am sure that this information is "mined" thoroughly by all car manufacturers.

Actually, given the greater interest and knowledge of owners who participate in sites like this one, it is possible that defects are actually OVER reported here. I use defect information heard here as interesting but basically unknown in extent. Clearly, some reported defects are a big deal and REAL such as the flying roof.

But, whether failing valve springs on the LS7 are isolated events or common is something that I don't think can be determined from forum reports. They have actually taken place but how often is unknown. Only GM knows for sure.

Plus, you know, the general kind of defects that were in the 05s or 06s or 07s are similar or identical to those being reported in 08s. Some years have novel problems but mostly I think things like clutch issues and rear end clutch pack problems just keep recurring. This, in itself, is worrisome since it indicates a potential unwillingness on the part of the mfg. to finally fix some things.

just my two cents worth

all cars have bugs to be worked out, I think the vette is pretty good but no more perfect than any other car or complex machine can be.....it's all statistics. No matter how hard you try in manufacturing there is always a normal distribution around the quality target....and that means there will always be defects. Today, with the internet , there is just a huge amount of communication among owners than in the past....and nearly real time communication at that.

In other words, random sample or not, we know a lot more today about what's up with the cars than ever in the past.
I think this is a fairly good assessment and analysis.

And to finish that last sentence with what started: but there may be no correlation between what we know and read about (as well as experience) on the Forum, and a general increase in defects.

One of the few conclusions that can be drawn is from the statement, "...Some years have novel problems but mostly I think things like clutch issues and rear end clutch pack problems just keep recurring. This, in itself, is worrisome since it indicates a potential unwillingness on the part of the mfg. to finally fix some things. ..."

And this last statement is something that shopdog has also touched on in other posts.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 AM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Seems like all those things are mentioned pretty frequently with the 05-07's as well.........My '08 is perfect and I've been a GM hater most of my life....
Go figure. Guess they were trying to win me over...

same here...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 AM
LEON RESNICK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mneblett
Doesn't seem any higher than the past couple years I've been on the list (and I'd be senstive to it, as I have an '08). There have certainly been more than the usual number of non-'08 posters trying to make something out of nothing, continually crying "junk!", but the facts don't seem to be supporting the (unsupported) assertions.

FWIW, zero defects on my 1 mo. old 'vert.
Have an '08, no major problems. However, consumer reports gives the last few years-2005 to 2007 a big black poor quality mark in their evaluation. One cannot expect a corvette to be a high quality trouble free vehicle based on 2 assertions: 1. built by GM 2. Very low price for such high performance and electronics. Lexus is a very high quality, trouble free vehicle, and is a terrific car if you like to drive a refrigerator on wheels. Have owned 3 including the SC430. Great for people who want to get from point A to Point be and could care less about the driving experience. But they just don't break. With this said I expect a lot of negative comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. By the way the Bentley has a lot of electronic problems so this car is not the poster boy for high quality trouble free motoring. Also, most german sports cars also have their own set of problems, just as bad or worse than the vette and they are extremely expensive to repair.

Leon Resnick
Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Peter Hallock
Heel & Toe

Default '08 Quality

I have ordered 6 new Corvettes since 2001. The first five were zero, or at most one minor defect. Three have been raced on road courses with no issues.
However..........the last (2008) has made it 105 miles and spent 29 days on the dealer's lift with issues from the flywheel to the rear end/trans. fortunately the dealer and GM are stepping up to the plate and replacing the car. But the fact remains that it never should have been shipped from Bowling Green. It is interesting too that this unit went directly from production to shipping - no 2 week quality hold!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:28 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beltfed21
Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more QC problems showing up here on the Forum for 08 Vettes (as compared to 07's)? Everything from interior, top, wheels, paint, rear ends, trany's, etc.

Just an observation.
Coming up thru the years and owning 4 vettes since 99, my experiences show the quality, materials and assembly has improved along the way.
Complexity has also increased which seems to cause some problems mostly from an operating standpoint.
Like dead batteries because something is easily left on or not in gear..
Overall... These cars are very reliable and get better with age.. from my experiences..
Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Give it time....
Get a clue
Old 11-28-2007, 08:35 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Its nothing new for Corvette. I have owned 20 of them. I think its more GM in general. They have really slipped hard.
And this is based on what? Your spotted wheels and creaking top? Give me a break..
GM has done a great job in catching up and producing products that now compete with some of the best out there. How soon we all forget the cars of the 70's an 80's.. and you say you owned 20 of them... One would think even you would notice the difference.. or were they really only matchbox cars
Old 11-28-2007, 08:37 AM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Problems generally occur quickly.
08 is the current model year.

Therefore, problems are being reported on 08s.

Last year at this time it was 07s.

The year before 06s.

Nothing special. I haven't seen that many complaint posts. If there were major problems, there would be a flood of problem posts.

Although I do hear that the gas tanks explode on ALL of them. You see I read a thread about one tank, which means they're all bad, doesn't it? Of course, the original poster seems to have disappeared (possibly embarrassed to admit that he DID run over something and started a needlessly overdramatic thread).
Old 11-28-2007, 08:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by LEON RESNICK
... Lexus is a very high quality, trouble free vehicle, and is a terrific car if you like to drive a refrigerator on wheels. Have owned 3 including the SC430. Great for people who want to get from point A to Point be and could care less about the driving experience. But they just don't break. With this said I expect a lot of negative comments. s a lot of electronic problems so this car is not the poster boy for high quality trouble free motoring. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. ...

Leon Resnick
This is true; I've owned two. They did try in '98 to put up a worthy competitor to the 540i in their newly-redesigned GS400, but it did fall just a bit short (softer suspension, no man trans, etc.).
Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Seems like all those things are mentioned pretty frequently with the 05-07's as well.........My '08 is perfect and I've been a GM hater most of my life....
Go figure. Guess they were trying to win me over...
Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 AM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold Z
What problems? My 08 has had zero problems and zero defects of any kind. I am totally pleased with the car.
Got mine Sept 17th & it's been driven daily. No problems whatever. Well, I'm getting some new smile wrinkles, but WTH!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Jimmy G.
Racer

I've had no problems or issues with my '08, and I have 1200 miles on so far.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55

Originally Posted by mneblett
Doesn't seem any higher than the past couple years I've been on the list (and I'd be senstive to it, as I have an '08). There have certainly been more than the usual number of non-'08 posters trying to make something out of nothing, continually crying "junk!", but the facts don't seem to be supporting the (unsupported) assertions.

FWIW, zero defects on my 1 mo. old 'vert.

I agree. The sky is not falling, GM is not going under and my 05 and my 08 have been nothing but a blast to own,

To all the nay sayers, go suck a pickle.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more QC problems showing up here on the Forum for 08 Vettes (as compared to 07's)? Everything from interior, top, wheels, paint, rear ends, trany's, etc.

Just an observation.
This has been my observation as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Hallock
I have ordered 6 new Corvettes since 2001. The first five were zero, or at most one minor defect. Three have been raced on road courses with no issues.
However..........the last (2008) has made it 105 miles and spent 29 days on the dealer's lift with issues from the flywheel to the rear end/trans. fortunately the dealer and GM are stepping up to the plate and replacing the car. But the fact remains that it never should have been shipped from Bowling Green. It is interesting too that this unit went directly from production to shipping - no 2 week quality hold!
Well most States have a 30 days in the shop buy back clause in them so your lucky. What is the last 6 of the vin# on your buy back Vette?

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Quality Control?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:23 PM
HARVEY T.GLUCK
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Quality Control

I have to get in on this one because I am probably the OLDEST MEMBER of the FORUM and go back to 1965 when I purchased my First Corvette (Satin Silver for $4200.00.).....The Quality overall has changed for the Better over the Years---but as has been Mentioned every Year Seems to have its Own Problems-----In 1965 It was Squeaky Disc Brakes, in 1990 for instance it was White Convertibles that would turn Yellow on the Rear Panels, and the Front Facia---I could go on and on-----BUT OVERALL --they get Better each and every Year...You guys have no idea what it was like in the Early Years they rode like Trucks, but thats what all Sports Cars really was meant to be.......Now People want Comfort and Convenience and the Philosophy of what Constitutes a True Sports Car has changed....I wish we could go back to those Early Years and do away with The Creature Comforts....Bring back the no A/c, the Zippered Windows, the Split Windows etc etc........Meanwhile I am ordering a 2008 ZO6 with ALL those CREATURE COMFORTS.....to keep my Convertible Company....
Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
And this is based on what? Your spotted wheels and creaking top? Give me a break..
GM has done a great job in catching up and producing products that now compete with some of the best out there. How soon we all forget the cars of the 70's an 80's.. and you say you owned 20 of them... One would think even you would notice the difference.. or were they really only matchbox cars
Don't waste your time...it's tough to argue with a manic Chicken Little mentality.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 644 Likes on 421 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Just an observation.
I mentioned this in the past and everybody was ready to throw me under the train.Are these quality issues to be expected on a $50k + car?Most of the comments I heard that these quality issues were to be expected and that basically I was making something out of nothing.Well,are there only a handful of people that think these problems are an issue?Lets see you guys come and put a positive spin on this one.Most of the comments about my SNIVILING in regards to quality issuse came from people that most likely never had any problems.

Quick Reply: 08 Quality Control?