C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMS pricings a little embarassing....GM's marketing sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:11 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn h.
I argue w/friends that the Corvette is the most under-priced car in the world, and then you see GMS pricings on all 08's(we're still in 07)....that's really embarassing!!!

Why does GM keep over-producing the Corvette and then has to give deep discounts to get rid of them. They are really diluting the product!! I know it's about the $$, but the Corvette is GM's Halo car(no Cadillac comes close), and is too fine of a vehicle to be sold as a distressed product.

I know some people love to see these discounts as it gives the opportunity to get in, but it really hurts the cars resale value and overall image.

It's a shame that the marketing of this wonderful car is being handled by GM.
I realize my response is a cop-out and not directly related to your thread, but anyway....

Everybody loves a bargain. Well, almost everybody.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:32 PM
shawn h.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stanleyp
...and you own a...?
What does what I own have to do w/this???
Old 11-24-2007, 04:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

What does what I own have to do w/this???
As you may have guessed, I believe the reason Corvettes are being discounted so much is because of lack of demand. It would be interesting to know if you own a new[er] C6 or an older Corvette and what are the reasons that you haven't purchased a new C6(assuming you don't have one).
Old 11-24-2007, 05:17 PM
jrda
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I argue w/friends that the Corvette is the most under-priced car in the world, and then you see GMS pricings on all 08's(we're still in 07)....that's really embarassing!!!

Why does GM keep over-producing the Corvette and then has to give deep discounts to get rid of them. They are really diluting the product!! I know it's about the $$, but the Corvette is GM's Halo car(no Cadillac comes close), and is too fine of a vehicle to be sold as a distressed product.

I know some people love to see these discounts as it gives the opportunity to get in, but it really hurts the cars resale value and overall image.

I was told during my recent Buyer's Tour at the factory that they are producing approximately 174 cars/day and plan to produce a total of 44,000 cars this year. One reason is a very strong overseas market for the Corvette.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

With (some) respect, horse hockey.

It's a car man get over it! Yes the great pricing of the C6 will probably mean that my C5 turns into a C6 this year rather than next, but GM will be making money on service and on loyal customers by pricing cars that people want within their budget. I have a 911 next to my C5 in the garage, if your theory is right the 911 is WAY superior right??? - not a chance.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:55 PM
shawn h.
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrda
I was told during my recent Buyer's Tour at the factory that they are producing approximately 174 cars/day and plan to produce a total of 44,000 cars this year. One reason is a very strong overseas market for the Corvette.
Strong overseas demand is great, but GM should keep better control of not over-supplying Domestic dealers.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:17 PM
dknight129
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

The rebates and discounts are built in to the price up front. If you buy a car at the first of the model year, you are likely to pay more and get little to no rebate and or discount. The rebates allow buyers with no down payment and or less than perfect credit purchase a car they might not otherwise qualify for. See the bank only sees the bottom line.... LTV Loan to Value. IF a $50,000 car has a $5,000 discount you are only borrowing 90% of what the car is "worth" according to the bank. Now you look pretty good on paper. This also helps with people who are upside down in a trade in. Allows the dealer to absorb the negative equity from the trade. With out this practice, which was started in the late 90's most people would be too upside down to buy anything. Therefore, the automakers would suffer. So jack up the price and then offer discounts and incentives, whether directly to the public or in the form of dealer incentives.

Bottom line is, in todays auto market, from experience in the business, roughly 80% of buyers would not be able to purchase with out the discounts.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:23 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM can't adjust their product output on a day to day basis to adjust for slow demand. They have the assembly line at Bowling Green designed for a standard output with the work load at each station fairly balanced. To cut back production, say 20%, they can't just slow down the line speed by 20% and cut down the number of direct labor employees by 20%. The work at each station still has to be done, and an employee still has to be there to do it. That's 100% of a worker, not 80% of a worker. You can't cut the employee's wage by 20% or cut his benefits by 20%. In fact, if you were able to send any of the workers home, they would still receive ~95% of their wage, even though they are not at their work station assembling Corvettes. The same goes for indirect labor and the office personnel. As for as reducing the number of parts being shipped into Bowling Green, GM purchases the amount estimated to be used annually, with JIT shipments. What I'm saying is that GM can't just cut production 20% if demand for the car is down by 20% and reduce their mfg costs by 20% to maintain their profit margin. GM can cut back their production but not their cost.

So the solution to getting rid of any product overstock, for any reason, is for the dealer to offer incentives to get the retail customer to purchase the car. Normally that's in the form of selling the car for less then it's MSRP. How much of a discount varies from dealer to dealer, due to many reasons. If to many dealers have to discount their cars by to many dollars, then GM steps in by offering incentives. GM knows that their dealers have to make some money to keep in business thus it's better to offer incentives to the dealer then have them go out of business. It's cheaper for GM to maintain their production and have incentives to sell the overproduction.
Nicely put. Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 11:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

OP, you'll have to pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is it exactly that you will be happy with?

Will you be happy when GM starts charging $80K for a base, stripped, Corvette? How about $90K? That goes for all of the posters who keep claiming this is the most under priced sports car they've ever seen.

What do you want? Most, or many who post on C6 think GM occasionally reads these posts/threads. Do you WANT them to raise the price?

Simply put: are you out of your mind?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 PM
shawn h.
Drifting

Originally Posted by AORoads
OP, you'll have to pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is it exactly that you will be happy with?

Will you be happy when GM starts charging $80K for a base, stripped, Corvette? How about $90K? That goes for all of the posters who keep claiming this is the most under priced sports car they've ever seen.

What do you want? Most, or many who post on C6 think GM occasionally reads these posts/threads. Do you WANT them to raise the price?

Well if I have to explain.....

But seriously, GM either has to stop over-producing or stop over-allocating the car, so these discounts do not pop up so early. It's all about perception and value and GM and some dealers do a terrible job at this. That's why some of the German cars have such a high perceived value.

And yes, I would pay $80-100K for a Corvette if it had a better interior.....GM is making strides w/the 4LT.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:56 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

i agree. complaining about the lower prices is stupid. these are cars not krugerrands. they are not a futures commodity. these are mass produced chevrolets for gods sake. they are not hand-built works of art like some of the true world class exoticars. if that's what you want then go get one............if you can find one for a good price.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:10 AM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if I have to explain.....

But seriously, GM either has to stop over-producing or stop over-allocating the car, so these discounts do not pop up so early. It's all about perception and value and GM and some dealers do a terrible job at this. That's why some of the German cars have such a high perceived value.

And yes, I would pay $80-100K for a Corvette if it had a better interior.....GM is making strides w/the 4LT.

Tell me how you want the interior done and I will have mine customized for you and you can pay me 100k for it. I'll even throw in an extra set of rims!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:35 AM
shawn h.
Drifting

Originally Posted by achilds
Tell me how you want the interior done and I will have mine customized for you and you can pay me 100k for it. I'll even throw in an extra set of rims!
My comment was not directed to guys like you, b/c you would never get it anyways!!!

Besides, if I wanted aftermarket I could do it myself......tks for the offer anyways.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 AM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
I would agree with you if that was a GM advertising program, but it's not. Just because one or two dealers offer something doesn't effect the entire market.

On the forum we tend to forget that the large majority of new Corvette buyers each year never heard of the Corvette forum and the average Chevy dealer who only sells a few a year doesn't do this.

Sure, you see the major, national dealers offering deals, but the top 3 dealers in the country account for less than 5% of all sales. Just because a dealer has a dozen or two cars and needs to move them quickly that doesn't mean the national market is going to fall apart.

For those smart enough to shop around at places like this, congratulations, but keep in mind that you are the minority!

Well said! Some people still buy at Maxie Price and Carmax!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:24 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I agree with the comments above, up to a point. And I also agree that the Corvette is not really a problem - YET.

But when the MFRs rely on constant rebates and other incentives to prop up demand, then the manufacturer often is over building. And the American manufacturers have been doing just that for a long time.

The problem is that it's hard to trust the market from a resale standpoint. If you are able to take advantage of the best rebates ever offered, you probably are okay. But when they come out with something new and there are little or no incentives, you are taking a chance.

I bought a new Expedition in January. The new version had just come out and there were $1,000 rebates. That's what I got. Six months later the rebates were something like $3,000. I take the resale hit. I guess I believed them when GM and Ford said a couple of years ago that they were going to start "right pricing" their vehicles so they could get away from rebates. Fool me once..... Good luck selling me the next one.
I had a very similar situation with the F150 I bought. Walked into the dealership looking for a used truck but discovered Ford was giving a 6 grand rebate. Coupled with other discounts and the dealer selling me 200 under dealer invoice I saved about 8 grand. The week before it would have been a much higher price... Simply they way American auto mfgs do business.........
Old 11-25-2007, 04:53 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Even with the discounts they are making money on every car. IMHO the goal isn't to make money by selling a few of them at a high price but rather to sell as many as possible at any price that includes a profit.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Shawn,

After doing a little forum research, I'm confused. You go from saying that the new interior is world class:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1689739
to pinging it in this thread.

Looks like you wanted a Blue Devil
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1738534

Then a Zo6
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1669347

Then a wide body convertible
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1849745

and finally settled on an Aston Martin
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1861390

Heck it even appears that you wanted a GMID to purchace an 08
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1676723
which seems to be your complaint in this thread! What is the deal, you wanted a discount yourself, but not for the other guys?

Me thinks there are a few sour grapes. Perhaps worries of a more “common car” next to the Astin at the stoplight gunning its engine?

Last edited by Bville-Bud; 11-25-2007 at 08:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To GMS pricings a little embarassing....GM's marketing sucks!!!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:29 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM isn't overproducing the Corvette, the public is underbuying the Corvette. Presently GM is producing ~30,000/year. In the past they have produced as many as 50,000/year.
You always want to build one less than you can sell.

Last edited by timd38; 11-25-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:40 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Ever hear the phrase "what's good for General Motors is good for the country"?

Discounts and sales (ever hear of Black Friday? day after Christmas sales) are part of the American culture. the American economy is built on the consumer whose pysche says... If I don't get a big discount i'm not buying , if I didn't get a big discount I was raped and most iportatnly, I don't need it but look how much I will save if I buy it....

The only one to blame for GM marketing is the American consumer. All GM is doing is what it takes to sell cars in America.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bville-Bud

Heck it even appears that you wanted a GMID to purchace an 08
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1676723
which seems to be your complaint in this thread! What is the deal, you wanted a discount yourself, but not for the other guys?
Now this is just to funny.

Quick Reply: GMS pricings a little embarassing....GM's marketing sucks!!!