C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today at the ModshaCK...(Or, the problem with scissor lifts)...(BWW)...>

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Today at the ModshaCK...(Or, the problem with scissor lifts)...(BWW)...>

Well...I've had my LG Longtubes sitting around for over a month. Finally worked up the motivation to tackle the install after contemplating the problems awhile...The problem with a scissor lift is it blocks all access to the center tunnel area. This was never a problem with my previous cars, but is when doing this particular job on the Vette. I ended up lifting the car, and setting it down on ramps/Blocks, adding 4 24" Harbor freight Jack stands, and dropping the lift out from under the car. I REALLY didn't want to have this thing fall on me!

That gave me the room I needed to work:

Removed the entire exhaust, Manifolds and tunnel plate in preparation for the install:

I never had any real heat issues with My '08, but added some Koolmat to the LAPD coated plate that I installed. The factory insulation package actually looks pretty good when you get everything apart. It's a fairly robust, insulated and aluminum faced blanket that surrounds the tunnel area (at least on my '08). Weighed both plates. 4.8 lbs stock, 11.2 for the LAPD. I'm really looking for chassis stiffening with this mod:

Got the plate all bolted in and decided to call it a day. LG's in tomorrow, and HP Tuner software due in any time for the tuning, fan adustment, and MIL deletes. More soon!

Armyyellow05 and Zpirate stopped by to check on the progress (They mostly want to hear what this thing is gonna sound like with the NPP in Wild mode!)....

Last edited by Modshack; 11-23-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:50 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Very nice. Looking forward to your thoughts on the tunnel plate install.

Paul
Old 11-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by talon90
Very nice. Looking forward to your thoughts on the tunnel plate install.

Paul
Paul..If you're still tracking this, I got everything buttoned up and did a 15 mile road test today. I'm actually quite surprised by the difference the tunnel plate makes in chassis feel. Things are much firmer and turn in and transient stuff more immediate. I can only guess that the stock Chassis set-up has quite a bit of flex with the OEM tunnel plate.

On the LG's all I can say is WOW. The car screams like a Banshee now with the NPP's in open position. More midrange and snap immediately noticeable. SHould get even better with a tune..

Need to post up some "After" pics....

Last edited by Modshack; 11-24-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:52 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nice.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:56 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Modshack
Paul..If you're still tracking this, I got everything buttoned up and and tested today. I'm actually quite surprised by the difference the tunnel plate makes in chassis feel. Things are much firmer and more immediate. I can only guess that the stock set-up has quite a bit of flex with the stock parts.

On the LG's all I can say is WOW. The car screams like a Banshee now with the NPP's in open position. More midrange and snap immediately noticeable. SHould get even better with a tune..
I am, thanks for the update. I was looking forward to your review. Enjoy the ride.

Paul
Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Very nice Steve. Is there something specific about the LAPD plate that made you choose it?

Besides after pics, is there any chance of a video with sound just to give us and idea what it sounds like?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RicK T
Very nice Steve. Is there something specific about the LAPD plate that made you choose it?

Besides after pics, is there any chance of a video with sound just to give us and idea what it sounds like?

Hi Rick..

I actually picked the Coated LAPD because it seemed a good bargain at $169. Plus, I had the Koolmat sitting around so there was no need to pay more for an already insulated plate. Also, I really don't have a heat issue and this was primarily for chassis stiffenng, which it seems to do in spades. I'll try to do up a Video/Sound clip with the LG's and the NPP. It REALLY sounds mean....Seriously mean when you get on it. Kind of a Banshee wail with Nascar overtones.... With the valves closed it's still quite civilized (until it opens!). I may need to work on a mod to hold the valves shut it's THAT aggressive!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congradulations Steve! I am glad you got it all installed without any issues. I can't wait to hear what the LGs sound like with the NPP.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZPirate
Congradulations Steve! I can't wait to hear what the LGs sound like with the NPP.
Hi John.....Went all together perfectly. No leaks, No errors. Sounds AMAZING! I'll be around tomorrow if you want a demo....
Old 11-24-2007, 11:40 PM
armyyellow05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think I'll stop by see what all the fuss is about
Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RicK T

Here ya go Rick! (turn down your volume... )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJy6XLKH8E

Get notified of new replies

To Today at the ModshaCK...(Or, the problem with scissor lifts)...(BWW)...>

Quick Reply: Today at the ModshaCK...(Or, the problem with scissor lifts)...(BWW)...>