C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z51 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 AM
agrumpyguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default z51 oil change

I remember a post about something needs to be lubed at every z51 oil change.Anyone know what it is?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:02 AM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, lube the rear outer toe links at every oil change or track days.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM
agrumpyguy
Racer

Thanks. happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cranky
yes, lube the rear outer toe links at every oil change or track days.
... and add 6.0 quarts of oil instead of 5.5 quarts.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:13 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by agrumpyguy
I remember a post about something needs to be lubed at every z51 oil change.Anyone know what it is?
Unless you do a lot of tracking, you will likely find that lubing the rear toe links at EVERY oil change is unneccessary and will create a mess for you.

A better interval is every other oil change or 10K miles whichever comes first. The best method is to simply feel the fitting seal, or visually inspect it to see if it's plump with grease...if you can feel or see that the seal has grease within, then greasing is not required. Overgreasing will lead to grease leakage from the seal and a mess on your rear wheels.

Last edited by JmpnJckFlsh; 11-21-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z51 Oil Change I don't get it?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jet Stream
That's where you use the oil with the Z51 logo on the bottle.

BTW, I understand that some if not all FE3 cars also have these greasable end links.

But I agree, not needed that often - 10,000 miles is probably overkill. And don't use a lot of grease - just a pump or two.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:49 AM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What don't you get.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blkc6z51
What don't you get.
Look in the manual. Nothing special specified about Z51 and oil changes/lubes. Why don't people read the service instructions.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:45 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
Unless you do a lot of tracking, you will likely find that lubing the rear toe links at EVERY oil change is unneccessary and will create a mess for you.

A better interval is every other oil change or 10K miles whichever comes first. The best method is to simply feel the fitting seal, or visually inspect it to see if it's plump with grease...if you can feel or see that the seal has grease within, then greasing is not required. Overgreasing will lead to grease leakage from the seal and a mess on your rear wheels.
Very good point here, thanks for the reminder JJF. With grease comes dirt which will be almost impossible to clean.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look in the manual. Nothing special specified about Z51 and oil changes/lubes. Why don't people read the service instructions.
the manual doesn't say anything about putting a Z51 emblem on it either, but that doesn't stop people from doing it
Old 11-21-2007, 03:25 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The Z51 gets an additional 1/2 quart of oil. That's due to the engine oil cooler that the base model doesn't have.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:25 PM
agrumpyguy
Racer

Originally Posted by cadguymark
the manual doesn't say anything about putting a Z51 emblem on it either, but that doesn't stop people from doing it
If you don't have an intelligent answer to the question posed,move on.Why do idiots have to get into the z51 envy mode anytime one is mentioned?
For your information the z51 package does have different parts,than non z51 and the rear toe links need to be maintained.
What does that have to do with emblems?
Enjoy your Thanksgiving
Old 11-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

If you don't have an intelligent answer to the question posed,move on.Why do idiots have to get into the z51 envy mode anytime one is mentioned?
For your information the z51 package does have different parts,than non z51 and the rear toe links need to be maintained.
What does that have to do with emblems?
Enjoy your Thanksgiving
Z51 Envy??? Come on folks get real. Anyone that can a afford a new Corvette can afford a Z51 suspension option. Its the Chiropractor bill from the sore spine from the jarring suspension the Z51 offers is what they can't afford....

Last edited by Jet Stream; 11-21-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:42 PM
agrumpyguy
Racer

Z51 Envy??? Come on folks get real. Anyone that can a afford a new Corvette can afford a Z51 suspension option. Its the Chiropractor bill from the sore spine from the jarring suspension the Z51 offers is what they can't afford....
It is exactly people like you I was referring to.All I did was use the resources of this forum to get an answer to a question I had about services specific to my z51 option.Many members gave me good info.Yet you chose to tell me why didn't I read the manual .I appreciate your very helpful advise.Then you get into thet old topic about the z51 is nothing special blah blah.Ifyou feel that strongly start your own thread and get off mine.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:44 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Maybe they've edited Z51 out of the 2008 manuals, but the 2006 Owner's Manual clearly indicates special attention for Z51 in the "Capacities and Specifications" section (page 5-101 in 2006):

Engine Oil with Filter
6.0L Engine 5.5 qt
6.0L Engine Performance Package (Z51) 6.0 qt
7.0L Engine 8.0 qt

And, under "Maintenance Footnotes", footnote (b), in Section 6, Maintenance Schedule (page 6-7 in 2006):

Visually inspect front and rear suspension and steering system for damaged, loose, or missing parts or signs of wear. Inspect power steering lines and hoses for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc. If you have the Z51 performance package, lubricate the outer ends of both rear toe-links.

Check your owner's manual and get back to us. Ya got to watch those footnotes...they'll nail ya.

Last edited by JmpnJckFlsh; 11-21-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

It is exactly people like you I was referring to.All I did was use the resources of this forum to get an answer to a question I had about services specific to my z51 option.Many members gave me good info.Yet you chose to tell me why didn't I read the manual .I appreciate your very helpful advise.Then you get into thet old topic about the z51 is nothing special blah blah.Ifyou feel that strongly start your own thread and get off mine.
Spoken from the guy who just coined the phrase Z51 Envy.....

I'll say it again read the manual its the best source of information regarding service to your car. Not CorvetteForum.com

Get notified of new replies

To z51 oil change

Old 11-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

my 2006 owner's manual says:

Scheduled Maintenance
Service Maintenance II
. . . .

Inspect suspension and steering components. See footnote (b). •
. . . .

(b) Visually inspect front and rear suspension and
steering system for damaged, loose, or missing parts or
signs of wear. Inspect power steering lines and hoses
for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc.
If you have the Z51 performance package, lubricate
the outer ends of both rear toe-links.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,837 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
Maybe they've edited Z51 out of the 2008 manuals, but the 2006 Owner's Manual clearly indicates special attention for Z51 in the "Capacities and Specifications" section (page 5-101 in 2006):

Engine Oil with Filter
6.0L Engine 5.5 qt
6.0L Engine Performance Package (Z51) 6.0 qt
7.0L Engine 8.0 qt

And, under "Maintenance Footnotes", footnote (b), in Section 6, Maintenance Schedule (page 6-7 in 2006):

Visually inspect front and rear suspension and steering system for damaged, loose, or missing parts or signs of wear. Inspect power steering lines and hoses for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc. If you have the Z51 performance package, lubricate the outer ends of both rear toe-links.

Check your owner's manual and get back to us. Ya got to watch those footnotes...they'll nail ya.

Damn, it says the same thing in my 07 manual. Since I've read the manual and have seen the information on here, I would say that there if fact IS something different about the Z51 oil change and lube requirements as compared to the F55. Since I have the Z51 option, it is important to note that there is additional oil required AND the 2 lubrication points that need maintenance.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:32 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Damn, it says the same thing in my 07 manual. Since I've read the manual and have seen the information on here, I would say that there if fact IS something different about the Z51 oil change and lube requirements as compared to the F55. Since I have the Z51 option, it is important to note that there is additional oil required AND the 2 lubrication points that need maintenance.
You know, I think we're on to something here, but...it's probably just a misprint in our Owner's Manuals...We (including the General) are clearly unaware that F55 is THE ONE TRUE "Performance Package"

Quick Reply: z51 oil change