C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PICS!! New wheels and other appearance mods!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 07:38 PM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by armyyellow05
HANK,

Man that looks sweet. I have the ACE SLICKs as well. Are you running stock rubber? Mine are a bit bigger than stock but I am going bigger still when these wear out. I also want to lower mine. Did you cut the bushings or just lower it on stock?

Also was the black vinyl custom cut or cut as you applied?

Thanks

Chris
Hey Chris...yeah, they are on stock rubber(non Z51 runflats). When these tires run out, I'll reevaluate my situation and either go with some CCWs with new tires like on my C5, or just get the 275/35 and 305/30 Bridgestones for these wheels.

The car is lowered on stock bolts, although I am installing the WCC Lowering bolts tomorrow. The front is the same height on both sides, but the drivers side rear is up a little bit believe it or not...and since the stock bolts are maxed out, I'll be able to adjust each side to get the same height with the longer WCC bolts....I don't want to go any lower though - I like it a little taller in the rear

Lastly, the vinyl was just a big piece cut to fit...no one, to my knowledge, makes a direct "custom fit" vinyl. I've contacted Mike at CorvetteStripes to get something going, but it's not in the works as of now. I've gotten alot of postive responses here on the forum and through PMs...I really think there is enough interest to develop this product. Admitedly, the look only works with the clear roof - and alot of C6 guys prefer the painted top
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM
armyyellow05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AbsolutHank
I really think there is enough interest to develop this product. Admitedly, the look only works with the clear roof - and alot of C6 guys prefer the painted top
I say if you make a vinyl piece to cover the solid roof panel you could sell it as a kit and it would be reversible for resale.

Thanks

You have given me some great ideas

Chris
Old 11-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Bone Daddy
Member: Jr Geezer's Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO The Ace slicks are one of the best looking wheels out there, and I guess you know they will gobble-up the massive Z clampers!

Your car looks great and superb photography. Great backdrop.

Last edited by Bone Daddy; 11-18-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:46 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice looking Vette! I really like the black vinyl piece along the top, good taste!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by armyyellow05
I say if you make a vinyl piece to cover the solid roof panel you could sell it as a kit and it would be reversible for resale.

Thanks

You have given me some great ideas

Chris
I know we have talked about it several times, but it sounds like you are contemplating trying it.

And by the way I just noticed that your avatar picture was taken in my driveway.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Looks incredible..!!

The rears are 19x11?? Can you run Z06 size rubber on them without clearance issues??
Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 PM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DonutsZ51
Looks incredible..!!

The rears are 19x11?? Can you run Z06 size rubber on them without clearance issues??

There was a thread a while back on that topic...it really wasn't resolved. I think the tire will stick out past the fender - some guys can live with it, some can't. In all honesty, 275/35R18s and 305/30R19s are ideal. But the stock sized rubber doesn't look bad at all...but the Goodyears almost always run larger than their comparable non-runflat competition.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Zaveybaby
Intermediate

Default Vinyl...

Originally Posted by AbsolutHank
Thanks man! It is just a vinyl piece I had installed. I didn't have the guts to paint on a brand new car! Its the same vinyl they use for vehicle wraps - its guaranteed in all weather for at least 7 years. I figure the car will be sold by then anyhow...and if the new owner doesn't care for the look, it's easily reversible
CORVETTE looks SHARP!
Kindly tell me where you purchase the vinyl? IS the vinyl a stick on....or was glue used? .... I have this similar idea myself.....painting..... but like you..... GUTS--- haven't had the GUTS to actually "PAINT".... Who installs such? I live on the east coast and weather is not always nice....I am wondering.... if the vinyl would hold up with the changing seasons. THANK you very much.

ZAVEYBABY....
Old 11-18-2007, 09:44 PM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zaveybaby
CORVETTE looks SHARP!
Kindly tell me where you purchase the vinyl? IS the vinyl a stick on....or was glue used? .... I have this similar idea myself.....painting..... but like you..... GUTS--- haven't had the GUTS to actually "PAINT".... Who installs such? I live on the east coast and weather is not always nice....I am wondering.... if the vinyl would hold up with the changing seasons. THANK you very much.

ZAVEYBABY....
As I'm sure you are aware, there are many different grades of vinyl. I had the longest lasting, most durable vinyl installed. It is guaranteed to last at least 7 years in any weather (I live in Maryland and DD the car) - its the same stuff they install for the Full Vehicle Vinyl Wraps you might have seen that advertise on vehicles.

I had a local sign/graphics shop here install it, as they are very familiar with "wrapping" the vinyl around curves/body lines when they do complete vehicle wraps. It looks pretty damn good in person, but definitely doesn't look like glossy black paint. But I like the vinyl better, as paint might stick out too much and not blend with all the other black colors/textures on top.

That vinyl is like a giant sticker...and it does have some tough glue underneath. To remove, the vinyl will peel right off and then you need to remove the glue with Goo Gone etc...no damage to the paint, and very reversible.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Green Hornet 2
Racer

Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 PM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bone Daddy
IMO The Ace slicks are one of the best looking wheels out there, and I guess you know they will gobble-up the massive Z clampers!

Your car looks great and superb photography. Great backdrop.
Yeah, I'm going to see where I'm at money-wise later in the winter...I really want to do the rear widebody fenders, but if not, I'll get the Z06 brakes instead...that setup really does look awesome!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:03 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Your car sits NICE!!

Tom
Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
KeithKman
Pro

Car looks sick! Get black headlights from a black C6 and put them on your red C6 and it will be perfect.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by JLMounce
Absolutely love the dark windows with the blacked out Hoop. Great looking car!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:18 AM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

Your car looks great!

Quick Reply: PICS!! New wheels and other appearance mods!