C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone converted their onstar phone to Verizon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 AM
cincyspider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone converted their onstar phone to Verizon?

Can this even be done??
Old 11-10-2007, 01:20 AM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I looked into it. If you have a plan - I think it's called friends & family or something like that - you can add your On-Star phone number as another line on that plan for the plan rate for minutes. Much cheaper than On-Star minutes.

My car has a TPW of 11/12 (THAT'S MONDAY!!!!!)

As soon as it's delivered, I plan to add the On-Star phone to my Verizon account.

I'll post my results.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 AM
04BlackCoupe
Advanced

I changed mine as soon as I got the car in August. I also had done the same thing to my 2005 CTS-V. If you have a Verizon family share plan you can add the onstar phone for $10 per month and share the minutes like any other phone. Since I already had a Verizon family share plan adding the V and Vette was a no brainer. Works great!! When I get in the car for a long trip I transfer my handheld mobile to the car phone and calls are automatically routed to the car. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:02 AM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this only work with verizon?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:34 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Stream
Will this only work with verizon?
Yup... my wireless carrier is AT&T and I'm outa luck.

Verison got in there quick and secured an exclusive deal with GM. They're pretty good at that. They also are the only carrier offering support for a couple of the newer models of Motorola and Samsung mobile phones. Hope they don't secure exclusive carrier rights to the new and upcoming Google phone!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:55 AM
TN 2005 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI, VII & XII Veteran
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Here is a link that describes the Verizon with OnStar program. http://solutions.vzwshop.com/onstar/
Old 11-10-2007, 08:10 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

You still have to pay the yearly fee to onstar + the version fees..
I am waiting for lock pick to come up with a solution so we can use the Onstar hardware to talk to bluetooth with subscribing and with any bluetooth phone
Old 11-10-2007, 08:42 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems to me that if you go this route that you lose the benefit of having a satelite phone (OnStar) that works in areas that conventional cell phones don't since the calls are forwarded from your cell.

I have Verizon and bring my cell phone with me but have on occasion used my OnStar phone when in away from metropolitan areas where there is poor or no cell phone service.

Am I missing something in my thinking that this is so?

The only benefit I see is the lower cost of minutes but I can do that now by using my existing cell phone. The extra cost of the OnStar phone is worth it if I can make calls where my cell has no service.

If I'm wrong, please let me know as I would then be interested in this service.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:56 AM
alanancy
Racer

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
You still have to pay the yearly fee to onstar + the version fees..
I am waiting for lock pick to come up with a solution so we can use the Onstar hardware to talk to bluetooth with subscribing and with any bluetooth phone
That would be outstanding - What are the chances?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:24 AM
LloydP
Racer

[QUOTE=j_digi454;1562687943]It seems to me that if you go this route that you lose the benefit of having a satelite phone (OnStar) that works in areas that conventional cell phones don't since the calls are forwarded from your cell.

Onstar is not a satelite phone, it is cellular they have agreements with different carriers in different locations so signal availability is usually better. As expensive as Onstar is, it would be really expensive if it were satellite
Old 11-10-2007, 01:12 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't believe it is the agreements that make onstar more available, it's the higher power transmitter and larger receiving antenna than you can get on a phone that fits in your pocket.

What would ACTUALLY be useful would be if it would transfer my phone automatically. It would be VERY inconvenient to transfer my calls to my car several times a day. Also, any calls coming FROM the car will show up on CallerID as the number assigned to the car. So then, people returning missed calls might call the car, and of course I won't be in the car when THAT happens.

There is a reason we stopped buying carphones permanently installed in the car. It's NOT convenient. I would MUCH rather have bluetooth connectivity to the car for my existing phone.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by alanancy
That would be outstanding - What are the chances?
They all ready do it for other GM cars.. Google lockpick GM and you will find the site. I wrote them asking about the 08 C6 with no response to date.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:20 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

I was traveling thru the back roads from Charlotte to Raleigh.. Lots of hillsides and trees.. some small towns .. I used the Onstar phone system and it was unable to get thru. Pulled out my mobile phone with sprint service and it worked fine.. I just want to be able to use the Onstar integrated radio/mic system with my bluetooth phone..

Originally Posted by j_digi454
It seems to me that if you go this route that you lose the benefit of having a satelite phone (OnStar) that works in areas that conventional cell phones don't since the calls are forwarded from your cell.

I have Verizon and bring my cell phone with me but have on occasion used my OnStar phone when in away from metropolitan areas where there is poor or no cell phone service.

The only benefit I see is the lower cost of minutes but I can do that now by using my existing cell phone. The extra cost of the OnStar phone is worth it if I can make calls where my cell has no service.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

The down side to adding your OnStar phone to a family share plan... I was due for a new free cell phone(currently Samsung i730 was $599.00 new) in August. I added the OnStar phone and had to change my plan... No I'm not able to upgrade to a free smartphone until Oct. '08. Considering how much/ little I use it(OnStar phone), I could use the new cell phone more! I suggest just buying the minutes and using it for emergencies or as a back up to your cell phone...
Old 11-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I made the switch. I had to greatly increase the number of minutes to my plan. I don't use the cell phone extensively. I like the feature and, because I have to buy the minutes, am using it more. No regrets.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:14 PM
BD Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 04BlackCoupe
I changed mine as soon as I got the car in August. I also had done the same thing to my 2005 CTS-V. If you have a Verizon family share plan you can add the onstar phone for $10 per month and share the minutes like any other phone. Since I already had a Verizon family share plan adding the V and Vette was a no brainer. Works great!! When I get in the car for a long trip I transfer my handheld mobile to the car phone and calls are automatically routed to the car. I highly recommend it.

I also switched my 2008 Corvette to my Verizon family plan right away. I also have Onstar in my 2005 Silverado. It works great and is only $10 per month (plus the Onstar subscription). All calls to Verizon customers are free.

Originally Posted by j_digi454

That doesn't make sense. Onstar uses the Verizon network, so whether you are on a Verizon plan or pay Onstar for calls, its on the same network.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone converted their onstar phone to Verizon?

Quick Reply: Anyone converted their onstar phone to Verizon?